Viewing 40 posts - 22,601 through 22,640 (of 23,963 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
    fasgadh
    Free Member

Both carriers out of action.  What idiot put the Scottish Government in charge of procurement?

PS how are the Type 42s  , sorry ferries doing?

maccruiskeen

PS how are the Type 42s  , sorry ferries doing?

it wouldn’t matter if they were delivered tomorrow – there isn’t a port for them to sail from at present – or a time line for having one.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The carriers don’t have enough air defence destroyers, which are constantly breaking down as well.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haha. And lose the business opportunity that is ~7.7 billion people outside the US versus “only” ~ 340 million people inside the US….?

It’s not gonna happen. They’d soon run out of shit to sell to each other.

That’s basically describing their protectionist policies of the 1920’s. The 30’s didn’t work out well for them as a result.

Northwind

Poopscoop

I believe The Mail think it’s due to the military being woke. We have snowflake, lefty, Greenpeace loving carriers basically.

Caught some overstuffed armchair retired admiral saying the same thing on the news earlier- the only problem is navy diversity hiring, and Young People. Definitely nothing to do with privatised recruitment, long term personnel retention, or long term naval resource planning, no.

scuttler

Woke aircraft carriers my new favourite thing!

frankconway

Today is the deadline for trump’s legal team to file an appeal against the DC appeals court decision regarding immunity from prosecution

The clock is ticking…

DickBarton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68277167

We knew it was going to happen and I suspect we all know the outcome, but it really would be good if the adults made a decision and put him in his place.

frankconway

I wouldn’t be surprised if the SC declined to take the case.

AIUI, there is a history of the SC declining politically driven cases which have already been heard by the DC appeals court.

Here’s hoping this will be another!

funkmasterp

Which adds up to 94%. So, who did those other 6% of voters vote for?

the Witch hunters innit. That or the bogeyman. Maybe 3% each?

mattyfez

If trump wins the appeal and is immune, then Biden could litearly, and legally, have trump assasinated.

As funny as it would be to see that, it sets an incredibly dangerous precident for the entire US legal system.

Northwind

Time to crank up that Dark Brandon meme… 5 minutes after the decision, Mar a Lago burns to the ground

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Or Biden could declare the next election a fix, if Trump won, “sorry Donnie, I’m immune remember”

vd

The right to assassinate seems fine in theory but not if Joe stole the election in the first place…not my president!

willard

I’m assuming we have not done this yet:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68255431

Nepotism? Yeah, we’ve heard of that.

thols2

The right to assassinate seems fine in theory but not if Joe stole the election in the first place…not my president!

The thing there is that, as well as immunity, Trump has long argued that presidents can self-pardon. So, even if someone did seize control by stealing an election, they can preemptively pardon themselves and their minions and then put any judges or law-enforcement personnel who try to stop them in front of a firing squad. Presidential immunity would just mean that any president could just declare themselves to be ruler for life and above the law. The Supreme Court judges understand this. Even if Clarence Thomas is crazy enough to go along with it, I can’t see any of the others taking it seriously.

nickc

I can’t see any of the others taking it seriously.

They don’t need to though really, they just need to hold it up long enough.

dissonance

The Supreme Court judges understand this. Even if Clarence Thomas is crazy enough to go along with it, I can’t see any of the others taking it seriously

At least not whilst a democrat is president.

martinhutch

This sums up the ‘Biden is too old and frail argument’. Which old bloke would you rather have?

thols2

A centrist Democrat just thumped a Republican in George Santos’ old seat.

thols2

Another big day for Trump tomorrow.

thols2

Oh, and in a completely different trial, his attempts at delaying got squashed today.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Hopefully 300+ million poorer by tomorrow 👍

dantsw13

I really do believe that if Biden stood down for  a young centrist democrat they would destroy Trump in November.

MoreCashThanDash

I really do believe that if Biden stood down for a young centrist democrat they would destroy Trump in November

Being cynical, a right of centre democrat may be even better

martinhutch

I really do believe that if Biden stood down for a young centrist democrat they would destroy Trump in November.

None of the young ‘centrist’ alternatives are polling as well as Biden in a hypothetical head to head against Trump. Neither were any of Trump’s primary opponents polling as well against Biden.

Changing the candidate now would be more than a risky proposition. The ‘Democrats in chaos’ narrative would probably send Trump back to the White House.

There’s a reason why election campaigns are so long and drawn out over there, it’s because the place is massive, and it takes time for brand recognition to coalesce around politicians. Any new presidential candidate needs a 2-3 year run-up, both in terms of raising their profile, but testing the water with donors and getting the necessary fundraising done.

It’s too late to swap candidates now.

thols2

I really do believe that if Biden stood down for a young centrist democrat they would destroy Trump in November.

Who specifically do you have in mind? Just wishing for someone young and popular isn’t helpful if that person doesn’t exist.

frankconway

trump has claimed he has c$400 million in liquid assets which I take to be money or ‘near money’.

He’s appealing the $83 million defamation but, to so, must put up that sum of money – either directly or through a bond company.

Fraud case disgorgement decision, due today, is likely to be $300+ million; he’s already said the decision will be appealed. To do so he – or a bond company – will be required to put up the amount being appealed or something close to it.

If trump puts up the money in both cases, that wipes out his claimed liquid assets; would he offer a possible mix of cash and property assets; if he can persuade a bond company to put up (some of) the money the terms are likely to be usurious; what surety would a bond company insist on – properties, probably.

Lifetime ban on doing business in NY; cancellation if trump org NY business certificates; dismantling his NY controlled property businesses?

When all of this fully plays out – after all appeals – trump will be a shell; stripped of everything he believes defines him – money, success, reputation as mega property developer, the biggest and best at everything he does.

I cannot wait for that.

maccruiskeen

He’s appealing the $83 million defamation but, to so, must put up that sum of money – either directly or through a bond company.

He’s not been using bond companies to date – its not clear whether thats becuase he’s tight (they charge a percentage for their service) or because his history of not paying his bills and the probably bancrupcy he’d face if he loses all his cases mean that no bond company will touch him.

IIRC to appeal the defamation case he actually has to put up 110% of the amount that he’s been ordered to pay. So for $83m he has to lodge more than $91m with the court for the appeal to go ahead. I don’t know if that 110% applied to any appeal or just that case, or kind of case in particlar.

frankconway

To date, there have been two damages awards, both to E Jean Carroll – $5 million followed by $83.3 million.

Is there any way to confirm whether or not the sums being appealed have been lodged with the court ro allow the appeals to go ahead?

I share your comments about bond companies – surety, interest charges, a client who will likely attempt to default, a potential bad debt are all likely to combine to make them very wary of any dealings with him.

shinton
    Free Member

Who specifically do you have in mind? Just wishing for someone young and popular isn’t helpful if that person doesn’t exist.

I keep seeing Michelle Obama being mentioned in this context but Politico sum it up nicely:

“It’d certainly be interesting if Joe Biden were about to be swapped out for Michelle Obama in a premeditated plan to wrongfoot Republicans and coast to victory. In reality, Democrats, figuratively and literally, are stumbling ahead with the guy they’ve got.”

maccruiskeen

surety, interest charges, a client who will likely attempt to default, a potential bad debt are all likely to combine to make them very wary of any dealings

that or Dog the Bounty Hunter has gone woke. :-)

argee

No chance Michelle Obama comes into it, to have Biden step aside is possible, but you’d need to then have Kamala to do the same, can’t see that, the democrats have been horrific in selection of candidates since Obama left!

Poopscoop
    argee

We all hope it causes a proper meltdown, but i think the reality is that he’ll play this for his fans, words like fake news, woke and so on will be used and he’ll get his fervent supporters shouting louder.

frankconway

$355 million & 3 year business ban in NY; independent monitor to continue; independent director of compliance to be appointed to trump org.

Just waiting for the litany of accusations to start – including the usual…we’re going to appeal this.

As for appeals – see comments ^^^ about the process and required financial commitment to proceed to appeal.

It will be a long process but…this is the beginning of the end for trump

sargey
    • Looks like you have to put your hand in your pocket Donnie,no business licence ban though
    • 350 million dollars.
    frankconway

An analysis of the judgement by CNN suggests that interest could be charged on individual elements of the disgorgement calculation dependant on when the benefit to trump accrued.

If correct, this could add upto $100 million to the bill.

Go donny!

dyna-ti

Looks like he’s going to be putting out  a “For $10 each, we can beat them, they won’t silence us” crowdfunding call.

frankconway

To quote Anthony Scaramucci…trump is now reduced to making lemonade from lemon peel.

Big money donors are keeping their hands in their pockets.

Nickel’n’dime donors may continue to donate but how, if at all, can their money be used to help cover the disgorgement charge?

He’s trucked.

Viewing 40 posts - 22,601 through 22,640 (of 23,963 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.