• This topic has 23,115 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 7 hours ago by Coyote.
Viewing 40 posts - 19,321 through 19,360 (of 23,116 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • CountZero

and he is going to be icked out

Iked out? Does that mean the lizards are coming to get him? I live in hope!

RustyNissanPrairie

Licked out? Like an all you can eat buffet in a downstairs restaurant in Hebden Bridge? Maybe only for Melania

alanl
    Free Member

He’s lost his opposition of the Defence Bill, the Congress voted against his veto by an overwhelming amount:
    Trumps loses bill.

Poopscoop

Linky goes wrong mate.

pk13

Don’t worry he will sentace a few more mentaly ill people to death before they drag him off the white house lawn

alanl
    Free Member

Sory, correct link here:
    Trump loses Bill

martinhutch

Interesting times ahead. Can this authoritarian movement fully displace democracy, either now or in four years? The rot is years old, it only surfaced under Trump.

inkster
    Free Member

I have to agree with you, the rot is decades old. It started under Reagan, where broadcasting regulations were ‘relaxed’ to allow for opinion based, non fact based news to proliferate (fox news etc), along with the courting of evangelicals (the far white).

These two measures sowed the seeds of what we are seeing now. Trump isn’t an outlier, his emergence, or the emergence of someone like him was inevitable in the light of those fateful decisions the Republican Party made back in the 80’s. Cultural Marxism (as Steve Bannon calls it) is nothing new.

thols2

p7eaven
    Free Member

10 years this year. America was warned.

thols2

thols2

andy8442
    Free Member

I can’t believe this thread isn’t higher up.

cheburashka
    Free Member

Only because of the US election thread. And perhaps this should have been retitled “former US president Donald J Trump” some time ago.

Houns

I’d prefer “disgraced former US president Donald! Trump!”

kimbers

Will the next thread be about his court cases?

thols2

I’d prefer “disgraced former US president Donald! Trump!”

He’s still the disgraced U.S. President. Next week he’ll be the disgraced former U.S. President.

martinhutch

How it started:

How it’s going:

convert

Class from Greta there.

This thread needs a little more love today and then symbolically closing forever (we may need a new one for whatever happens next).

So much of concern across the globe right now but the sight of that helicopter lifting off from the White House lawn earlier is one of the brighter moments of the last 18 months for me.

From the very first post on the thread:-

I’ve got a sneaking feeling that he’d be an excellent choice, if only for the comedy value.

Turns out it wasn’t all that funny after all.

So long Donald you utter piece of shit.

matt_outandabout

Next week he’ll be the disgraced former U.S. President.

Superficial
    Free Member

From the very first post on the thread:-

God, how blissfully naive we all were in 2015. Also from the first page of this thread:

So it’s not entirely in-conceivable that Trump could be in power in the US whilst Boris is in power in the UK. God help us.

If you value your sanity, don’t go back and read it!

kelvin

How it’s going

That is SO good.

matt_outandabout

Wow.

@mos

So it’s not entirely in-conceivable that Trump could be in power in the US whilst Boris is in power in the UK. God help us.

Posted 5 years ago

kelvin

scuttler

This thread needs a little more love today and then symbolically closing forever (we may need a new one for whatever happens next)

No way – this is ‘thick and thin/thicker’ thread for that scumbag. It’s the 2020 election thread that (hopefully) ends today.

crazy-legs

This thread needs a little more love today and then symbolically closing forever

Oh no, there’s still the impeachment, hopefully a few court cases and maybe a divorce to come. All good potential entertainment!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m hoping the Lincoln Project have a lot of fun stuff to work on over the next few months.

dyna-ti

Donald Trump
    Gone – soon to be forgotten, like a bad dream.

I think we saw what his really die hard support is on the latest protests, where only a handful of kooks turned up with their guns, and to them he’ll likely always be a leader, but to the vast majority of republican voters, he’ll be classed as a liability, who brought shame on their party, and remember, those 70m voters were voting for the party, not for the individual.

He’ll exist on the web, but have a similar reputation to David Ike.

FB-ATB

His die hard support are the rebranded Tea Party. The Republicans embraced them (hence Palin as VP had McCain won) otherwise they would have been sunk.
    Donny just turned them into Trumpers/MAGAs. They’ll be a vocal boil on the rump of the Reps as were UKIP/ERG nutters to the Tories.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I think we saw what his really die hard support is on the latest protests, where only a handful of kooks turned up with their guns, and to them he’ll likely always be a leader, but to the vast majority of republican voters, he’ll be classed as a liability

They’ll be a vocal boil on the rump of the Reps as were UKIP/ERG nutters to the Torie

I think its a great mistake to dismiss the MAGA mob as fringe. 47% of the vote that’s 70 million US citizens voted for Trump despite the racism, cronyism, vandalism, hatred and COVID incompetence of the last 4 years. Like many I thought Trump was elected on an “anyone but Hilary” ticket and that the system of checks and balances would control him and that Americans are a reasonable people and would see sense and vote him out after his first term- big mistake! Frankly if it wasn’t for COVID he’d have been re-elected. The Republican party revealed themselves to be completely evil and Trump taught them they don’t need to hide their evil because half of the US voters lap it up.

nickc

I’m beginning to think that the Mexicans aren’t going to pay for his wall.

tjagain

I think its a great mistake to dismiss the MAGA mob as fringe. 47% of the vote that’s 70 million US citizens voted for Trump despite the racism, cronyism, vandalism,

a significant amount of them are core republicans who would never vote anything else. I suspect the extra votes he brought were few.

Superficial
    Free Member

I suspect the extra votes he brought were few.

I hope no-one in America underestimates the problem as much as you just have.

Millions of previously-disenfranchised people voted for him. The economically suppressed previous non-voter was suddenly given a voice. He allowed them to speak out about their fears (immigrants taking jobs, erosion of their religious way of life) without being immediately dismissed as racist trashbags. Of course, the reason these people are economically downtrodden goes back to years of successive (mostly Republican) gub’mints screwing them over whilst also stoking fears (communism, immigrants, libruls etc). He legitimised these mostly manufactured fears which, it transpires, was quite popular. Those people haven’t gone anywhere and the likes of Cruz are continuing to court them.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m beginning to think that the Mexicans aren’t going to pay for his wall.

deserves more credit

thols2

I suspect the extra votes he brought were few.

He motivated huge turnout among rural voters who despise urban “elites” (which includes Republican party establishment figures like Romney and Jeb Bush), but somehow got conned into thinking a billionaire real estate tycoon was a working class hero. Those rural voters live in states that have disproportionate influence in the electoral college, so that tipped the balance for him in 2016. Problem is, he also motivated a lot of suburban women who liked Romney to vote for Biden, and he motivated huge turnout among Democrats. There were 25 million more votes cast this election compared to 2016, with 2/3 going to Biden. Biden barely had to campaign, Trump did all the work for him.

Hopefully the reality that Trump took them for suckers is sinking in among the MAGA crowd and the Republican Party will fracture. Here’s a link to an article from 2016 that warned of what would happen.

https://theweek.com/articles/609234/even-youre-ready-burn-world-down-dont-support-donald-trump

convert

but somehow got conned into thinking a billionaire real estate tycoon was a working class hero

This is probably a very snobby comment but do you think he was able to pull off this (no mean) feat by naturally having no class, awful taste and very little evidence of education or literacy? I have a sneaky feeling that what they saw in him that looked like looking in the mirror were the stupid, uneducated bits. He does not look like a redneck, he does not have a redneck ancestry, he does not behave in a god fearing way – he just looks and sounds stupid. And I really don’t think that it was an act.

thols2

do you think he was able to pull off this (no mean) feat by naturally having no class, awful taste and very little evidence of education or literacy?

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that. I think people saw in him what they wanted to be. He’s crass and offensive, but he can also be quite funny in the way that Rodney Dangerfield was funny. That’s fine in an entertainer, but I think his supporters have a cartoonish idea of what governing is about. To be fair to them, people like Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are transparent frauds – graduates from elite law schools who pretend to be men of the people. Trump is at least more authentic than them.

convert

but he can also be quite funny in the way that Rodney Dangerfield was funny

I had to google Rodney Dangerfield

Wiki summary…..He was known for his self-deprecating one-liner humor, his catchphrase “I don’t get no respect!” and his monologues on that theme.

Self-deprecating is not one of Trump’s endearing qualities! 🙂

Actually (and I know I am not the target audience) Trump’s total lack of humour is one of his most repugnant qualities to me. I can’t think of a single western leader less funny – even Merkel can slip a line or two in. I can’t imagine anyone less enjoyable to break bread with.

Viewing 40 posts - 19,321 through 19,360 (of 23,116 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.