Viewing 40 posts - 12,921 through 12,960 (of 22,966 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • aracer
    Free Member

Well this is a surprise – Cadet Bone Spurs reckons he’d have run in bare handed and disarmed the gunman. If it wasn’t for those pesky bone spurs, obviously.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/43202075

Alpha1653

What an absolute throbber. Not only does he have the gall to call deputies cowards for not confronting the gunman, he then has the audacity to say that he’d run in unarmed to save the day. Utterly, utterly delusional. 😡

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

“Countzero:

So, if the trained professionals sat on their hands outside the school while the shooter slaughtered 17 people, just how is a teacher with a handgun going to react?”

</div>
    Genuinely, the response is “if they’re already in there they don’t have a choice”.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    batfink
    Free Member

But, you know….. Hillary would have been worse….. for sure.  Right?

On 14 July 2015, the Register quoted Clinton on the subject of guns as follows:

“I’m going to speak out against the uncontrollable use of guns in our country because I believe we can do better than that,” she said. “A majority of Americans and a majority of gun owners agree with universal background checks to keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers and people who are mentally unstable and even terrorists.”

On 26 August 2015, the Register quoted Clinton on the subject of guns as follows:

In answering questions about the murder of a TV reporter and cameraman in Virginia, Clinton said she was deeply saddened, but added that their deaths need to spark action to restrict access to handguns.

“We’ve got to do something,” she said. “It’s a very difficult political issue. But we are smart enough, compassionate enough to balance legitimate Second Amendment rights concerns with preventive measures and control measures, so whatever motivated this murderer … we will not see more needless, senseless deaths.”

And on 6 October 2015, the Register quoted Clinton on the subject of guns as follows:

Most Americans, including most gun owners, would support reasonable limits on guns to help stop massacres like the one in Oregon, Hillary Clinton told Iowans.

“I’m tired of people in public life saying, ‘Our thoughts and prayers are with families whose children are murdered at community colleges or elementary schools or people killed at Bible studies or going to the movies,’” the Democratic presidential candidate said. “We can’t tolerate that. This doesn’t just happen … We let it happen.”

Her audience at Davenport’s RiverCenter applauded as Clinton vowed to make it harder for people who shouldn’t have guns to obtain them. Among other things, she favors broader background checks, including sales at gun shows, and stronger measures to prevent gun purchases by domestic abusers or people with serious mental health problems.

“We keep getting stymied because of the lobby for a very small minority of gun owners and the gun manufacturers, which stand in the way,” she said.

Clinton has spoken throughout the campaign about her intention to implement tighter gun rules, despite pressure from the National Rifle Association. This week, she released specifics of her proposals.

“I feel like this is unfinished business in our country, and I am very determined that we are going to try to bring some sanity back, so that people’s Second Amendment rights are protected — but they are not absolute, the way the NRA wants them to be. There are common-sense ways to make sure people are not using guns to commit mass murders.”

maccruiskeen

Its almost like a kind of tourettes. Often people’s ticks cause them to verbalise (or even act out) what they fear of the worst thing to say or do in a situation.

At every turn throughout this event he seems to manage to find the clumsiest and most ill-considered things to say and do. And then to add further insult to the insults he adds to injury – he say’s all these things without a single grain of conviction.

batfink
    Free Member

Think of the ratings if Donald ran, unarmed, into a building containing a gun-toting American teenager.

I’d certainly pay to watch that

GrahamS

There’s always a tweet  This one from May 2016:

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Also the new embedded tweets mean you can like and click through to share it please share

dissonance

There’s always a tweet

Thats because he expects the teachers to be like him and charge in unarmed before disarming them with one might kick of the bone spur. Assuming he can remember what foot it was on.

maccruiskeen

I think it was Ghandi who said

“Too often, we judge others by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions”

Hang on, no, not Ghandi – it was that other bloke – George W Bush.

batfink
    Free Member

Hang on, no, not Ghandi – it was that other bloke – George W Bush

And we thought HE was a complete moron.  I wonder what the next (republican) president will be like?  I wonder if we can lower the bar any further.

Justin Bieber maybe?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

President Pence….

maccruiskeen

And we thought HE was a complete moron.

Silvio Berlosconi was on the telly the other day

batfink
    Free Member

Makes you think….

Image result for silvio berlusconi

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

He’d be fine running in to building with the guy with the assault rifle.The bone spurs disappeared about the same time the draft did, and his medical said he’s really fit. He also cares deeply about others.

I think the way the deputy has been treated is pretty bad. He’s one guy. He hears *loud* gunfire – you don’t know how many, or who is in there. Is it wrong to wait for backup? ….and, how the hell can everyone guess what someone’s reaction will be in a life-threatening situation. We all like to think we’d be the hero from TV, but I think the reality of that situation would bring out a huge variety of reactions. I also wonder how much training a sheriff’s deputy gets where they are being shot at with big guns.

maccruiskeen

how the hell can everyone guess what someone’s reaction will be in a life-threatening situation.

Nobody really knows how they’d react – there are a whole lot of factors that are beyond your control. Being someone with a gun gives you no defence from, and no advantage over, someone with an assault weapon. It gives you no clarity in a confusing situation and no strategy.

However lots of people like to think they know how they’d act, in the comfort of their own homes, once all the facts are available, with the benefit of hindsight. Then they know how clever and brave they would have been.

While the gun lobby argues that situations like this would be contained and resolved by more gun-carrying, brave american citizens I can’t think of any situation like this that has been intervened in, successfully or otherwise, by some plucky NRA tshirt wearing hero who happened to be walking by. And theres a good reason for that.

You don’t carry a gun because you’re brave. You carry a gun because you’re frightened – if you feel the need to defend yourself with a gun at home or in the wider community then you are fundamentally a scared person. And if you carry a gun you are reminding yourself constantly of that fear. Its a fear isn’t going to leave you just because the situation you dread becomes a reality.

martinhutch

I think the way the deputy has been treated is pretty bad.

Too right. The bloke says he actually believed the gunfire was outside the school, which was more than possible, given that the students had been sent outside by a fire alarm.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/26/us/sheriffs-deputy-florida-shooting.html

Even if you doubt his account, for his boss and the likes of Trump to instantly brand him a coward for political expediency (without hearing his side of the story) is the ultimate dick move. So not surprising, really.

nedrapier

He has to be treated like that.  the narrative is that the only thing to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun*  It’s undone by the good guy with the gun who was there.  Unless you say he was not a good guy. Hey presto: narrative intact.

*or, as we now know, a really, really, great guy; super guy, without a gun.

kerley
    Free Member

The obvious answer is for all teachers to become Ninja’s, unfortunately that si not going to happen overnight

“Ninjutsu is a lifelong pursuit, and shall take a lifetime to master, so don’t get impatient. … “

martinhutch

Brave trumpy in action:

FuzzyWuzzy

The Deputy situation is a strange one, for me his account is believable – I imagine it’s pretty confusing figuring out where gunfire is coming from, especially with screaming students running around. I don’t get why the Sheriff was so quick to condemn him though, they usually stick by their people, maybe he was pressured into providing a scapegoat.

maxtorque

It’s a well proven and highly successful tactic to send in a “one man suicide attack” against an unknown gun wielding enemy.

ah no, wait, i’ve got that wrong haven’t i…..

(You just run headlong into somewhere and, because you have no idea what’s going on, get shot dead pretty much instantly.  Another one added to the body count.)

Yup, that’s it, that’s what the Deputy should have done.

aracer
    Free Member

maxtorque wrote:

(You just run headlong into somewhere and, because you have no idea what’s going on, get shot dead pretty much instantly.  Another one added to the body count.)

Yup, that’s it, that’s what the Deputy should have done.

At least then he wouldn’t be a coward. I’m curious how they would protect the narrative in that case – presumably a “good guy” would be more competent than that?

dissonance

presumably a “good guy” would be more competent than that?

Or assuming he had a pistol then the good guys need rifles. Bonus of more sales for the NRA paymasters.

Junkyard
    Free Member

deify him as a hero and say it proves they need more than one armed person would be my guess

The idea Trump would run in unarmed – I dont think i would either- to danger is farcical. I only ever wonder if he knows he is a liar or whether his internal self image is unaffected by reality or self awareness.

dettigers02
    Free Member

“Cadet Bone Spurs reckons he’d have run in bare handed and disarmed the gunman.” lol, that’s so funny

akira

The two times when  there was an issue and Trump was bundled of stage by secret service he looked terrified. There didn’t seem to be any bravery or evidence of keeping a cool head.

aracer
    Free Member

Junkyard wrote:

I only ever wonder if he knows he is a liar or whether his internal self image is unaffected by reality or self awareness.

I’m sure we’ve done this one before – I think the conclusion was that he’s such a good liar* he even convinces himself.

*by which I mean effortlessly, rather than effectively

crazy-legs

Good guys with guns

The Sheriff / officer on scene thing is weird, it’s as though the NRA is desperately scrapping round for something, anything to prove their relentless narrative that it’s not the guns, it’s the people.
    As for Trump running in unarmed, he just comes across as an utter **** without a shred of empathy or common sense. He’d have done exactly what everyone else with an iota of common sensewould do. Run like **** and/or hide quietly.

Northwind

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

“The Deputy situation is a strange one, for me his account is believable – I imagine it’s pretty confusing figuring out where gunfire is coming from, especially with screaming students running around. I don’t get why the Sheriff was so quick to condemn him though, they usually stick by their people, maybe he was pressured into providing a scapegoat.”

</div>
    The timescales were short too, when they say “he didn’t go in” it gives the impression it was a long thing, actually it was about 2 minutes we’re talking about. And he did things which could have made a massive difference if it was an ongoing shooting- got access to the cameras, gave info to the police as they arrived.

The Sheriff who threw him to the wolves knew perfectly well that he’s in people’s sights himself so he was very happy to give them a scapegoat.

slowoldman

Does anyone know what the deputy’s agreed procedure was?

maxtorque

I think the agreed procedure for tackling a nutter armed with an Assault Rifle is to run into the room they are in, and get shot, about 20 times in roughly 3 seconds, till you have more holes than the average colander.  Then you slump to the floor in a pool of your own blood and guts and die.  Yup, that’s it………

martinhutch

Do I sense a note of panic? Does that mean we can expect some incoming traffic from the DOJ?

Nowt to do with the implications of this, I guess:

Klunk
    Free Member

got to love the responses

TROLL HUNT!

LIAR HUNT!

CON-MAN HUNT!

PUSSY-GRABBER HUNT!

MONEY-LAUNDERER HUNT!

TRAITOR HUNT!

BigJohn

I know exactly how I’d react in a similar situation.

A bog roll would be more useful than a gun.

Especially if, as I suspect is the case with the deputy, I was being bombarded with inaccurate information on the shooter’s location.

Klunk
    Free Member

maccruiskeen

– I think the conclusion was that he’s such a good liar*

The thing people who tell the truth and people who lie both have in common is they know what the truth is. To lie about something you need to know what truth you’re hiding.

trump has no regard for the truth. He speaks without knowing whether what he’s saying is true or not. He’s a bullshitter. He only lies when his bullshit comes back to bite him. And in that situation he’s then lying when everyone he’s lying to already knows the truth.

sad

dudeofdoom

Hope Hicks is going !!!

Wonder if she’s bailing before the brown hits the fan.

fasthaggis

The 29-year-old former model and ex-Trump Organization employee has been by Mr Trump’s side for years

BUT

She said her resignation was not connected to testimony she gave to the House Intelligence Committee on Tuesday.

🙂

kimbers

She did admit to telling ‘white lies’ for trump on her 9 hr grilling yesterday.

And refused to answer any questions about the transition team Russia meeting in Trump tower…

Also Gates has flipped, kushner lost his security clearance, bad week for the orange fucknugget, expect a Twitter offensive

Viewing 40 posts - 12,921 through 12,960 (of 22,966 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

New deal added to Members Discounts