• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 2 hours ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,841 through 10,880 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • whitestone
    Free Member

“Shutting down the federal government” is another way of saying “Drain the swamp” to his supporters. Another way of looking at it is that aligning the federal government with those opposed to “the will of the people” (i.e. his core support) then they’ll see future announcements about rolling back “big government” as a good thing. This despite those institutions being the very ones protecting them against the unbridled power that Trump craves.

Trump maybe draining the swamp but he’s replacing it with a cesspit of his own making.

aracer
    Free Member

Can we not just build him a Truman Show set where he really is in charge and everything is staged so that his decisions are the correct ones?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Can we not just build him a Truman Show set where he really is in charge and everything is staged so that his decisions delusions are the correct ones?

chewkw
    Free Member

See the tweet below so funny. 😆

The best eclipse ever.

kimbers

trump is eclipsing every president in history….

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Junkyard
    Free Member

his press conferences and his ability to contradict himself and claim false is true and true is fake news is at stellar levels and his rally looked like Germany of old.

I hope the Republican party do something soon as this man is unstable , unpredictable and appears to have a tenuous grasp on reality

Klunk
    Free Member

I hope the Republican party do something soon as this man is unstable

I’m sure they are keen but keep running into that stumbling block Pence.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Aye its almost tragic for them

Tied to a clearly unstable person who will pander to the white supremacists – not because he likes them but he appears to need adulation and that matters more than who is doing it- whilst harming his party, his nation and the office he holds.

RustyNissanPrairie

I’m going to miss Trump once he’s been assassinated or impeached – this thread is my favourite on STW!

maxtorque

I meant i think it’s impossible for the President (alone) to shut down the Federal Government? ie he’d need to win a majority vote in the house to do that?

(and we know how good DT is at winning votes in the house……..;-) )

pk13

The Democratic Party are quite they should be all over him calling him out on everything. Instead they are leaving it to a few comics. Politics seems in a bad way in the US.
    I’m not sure who said we get the leaders we deserve.
    I can see him trying to pass the mantle over to his daughter without an election, do you have to be a senator to be VP?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s all the fault of those Democrats that he can’t shut down the Federal Government. If they weren’t being so obstructive everything would be fine.

13thfloormonk

Basically everything from the Scottish Referendum, Jeremy Hunt vs. Jr Doctors, Brexit, Trump, seems to suggest a sea-change at some point when politicians just didn’t need to bother their arse with the truth any more, or that somebody who used to call them out on their lies just isn’t doing it any more?

Or is it that the average level of education of the general population is now low enough that significant majorities simply don’t have the attention span to follow up sensationalist headlines with some basic scrutiny?

It’s genuinely scary. I hope Trump is the apex of it, if nothing else he’s been gifted with the levels of self belief necessary to be such a brazen bullshitter…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUNPMPrxvA[/video]

I can no longer tell if this is satire.

binners

There was a piece in the guardian today interviewing Trump voters. The vote for him was in pretty much every case, an anti-politics vote. And the more the media and ‘the establishment’ attack him, the more these disenfranchised people back him

This is the end result of decades of contempt for the ‘little people’from the elite of both parties

Same reason we ended up with Brexit. The worrying thing is that ‘the establishment’ both there and here are still in denial about this self-evident fact. So it then becomes more entrenched. There’s no end in sight until those at the top who are so detatched even admit there’s a problem

I wouldn’t hold my breath

slowoldman

if nothing else he’s been gifted with the levels of self belief necessary to be such a brazen bullshitter…

To get away with it you need the right audience, which he has.

grahamh
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5WJzS-TFOw[/video]
    And now his fluffer has gone.

akira

At least he’s wishing the people of Texas good luck before heading off for a break…..

Northwind

whitestone – Member

“Shutting down the federal government” is another way of saying “Drain the swamp” to his supporters.

Yup, remember the Fiscal Cliff? The US right was absolutely delighted at the idea of the gubmint being closed, then they started to discover what that would really mean. “Why can’t I go to this war memorial?” “It’s shut” “That’s a disgrace!” “Yep. PS your guys did it”. People imagined it’d just mean tax collectors and other ne’erdowells and then it turns out, governments do stuff.

CountZero

I meant i think it’s impossible for the President (alone) to shut down the Federal Government? ie he’d need to win a majority vote in the house to do that?

Doesn’t GOP have a majority in the White House, and both houses of The Senate? Sure I read something about that recently.
    [edit] https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-arpaio-idUSKCN1B600O
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/retropolis/wp/2017/08/25/shocking-neo-nazis-fly-swastika-salute-at-shopping-center-where-leader-was-killed/?utm_term=.c2535c4a9041
    Christ, it’s beyond satire. 🙄

grahamh
    Free Member

Gorka gone

dumb dumb dumb dumb, another one bites the dust…

Jamie
    Free Member

At least he’s wishing the people of Texas good luck before heading off for a break…..

He did find time to personally pardon Joe Arpaio.

Quite the charmer…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio#Controversies

martinhutch

Kelly is purging the isolationist loons one by one, and Trump, surrounded by his generals, sinks into his new position as the unwitting head of the military industrial complex!

As you were, soldier.

kimbers

martinhutch – Member
    Kelly is purging the loons one by one, and Trump, surrounded by his generals, sinks into his new position as the unwitting head of the military industrial complex!

As you were, soldier.

this

its a shame in many ways the people that trump picked were so completely bonkers that they were extremely entertaining, its just going to be Trump himself as the lone lunatic in the white house tweeting his whacky conspiracy theories, which is still enough to keep on ruining his own presidency!

eg hes still able to use a huge hurricane striking texas to pardon his far-right sheriff buddy

It also goes to show how terrible trump is at picking staff, if only voters hadnt believed what they saw on reality tv!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With all the exits I wonder who is left, it really does look like full on self destruct just the timer hasn’t stopped yet.
    Wonder when he will manage to pass some legislation….
    Probably best get another game of golf in just in case

kimbers

Tbh with all the extreme idiots being booted out he might start getting some sound advice.

Whether he’s smart enough to actually listen….?

piemonster

He doesn’t need to be smart enough to listen, just dumb enough to be manipulated. Which I think is within his remit!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That sounds like an awful lot of hard work listening to people…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

HUP TWO, SOLDIER!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It appears the Loyal Triumvirate have retired from the field.

Kind of missing the desperate tactical maneuvering already.

CountZero
    Northwind

Arming the Met with grenade launchers would be pretty interesting

matt_outandabout

I’m still betting the coiffured oaf is gone by Christmas…

BoardinBob

NK just fired missiles over Japan

Trump will be tumescent

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just finishing two weeks Chez Donald – haven’t seen a paper until today, saw no books shops, heard no news on car radio (until today again), currently watching fake CNN news in airport on Hurricane Harvey 😉 almost a news blackout – no wonder Donald gets away with it. Peoples’ attentions seems elsewhere eg college football and Harvey.

TBF in true blue Calif so wasn’t expecting anything, but few people even talking about Trump at all. And then onlu with sad resignation.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Every little thing will add up, this one has very many people worried and there is talk of a legal pardon, the precedent it sets is as terrifying as a president doing it for the ratings. I can’t believe anyone let him say that – assumption being he didn’t bother to listen or tell them

kimbers

In other news fakenews not from trump this time though….

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/aug/28/trump-tweets-hoax-louise-mensch-claude-taylor

Never trust a Tory !

To be fair mensch has been bonkers for a while

Viewing 40 posts - 10,841 through 10,880 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.