Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 22,966 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

7 months ago I posted here he couldn’t win. Sadly he’s starting to look unstoppable for the Repiblican nomination,we’ll know for sure i just 10 days. Bush who I thought would be the nominee has now withdrawn.

BBC News

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So looking like Trump vs Clinton then, last hope for sanity.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He appeals to a lot of Americans, they have similar views. TBH add that and charisma together and its a winning formula.

I’m surprised you couldn’t see that from the outset..

I’m expecting a very very close margin to the Whitehouse..

It really could come down to one last TV appearance..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    moonsaballoon

He got 33% of the vote in a republican primary so what would that mean in votes an actual General election ? Would be interesting if the republican race was only 2 candidates like the democrats , where would trump be ie 77% of people didn’t vote for him

slowoldman

Charisma? Well I suppose some might call it that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If you think about the people he appeals too, it’s not hard to understand the charisma he has and the fact they think like he does.

It’ll be a tough one.

I might just stick my neck out and say he gets in.

Junkyard
    Free Member

VIew i like Corbyn being massively popular with labour voters and able to win their leadership but much less popular with the General electorate

Like Corbyn [ though even more so] a large swathe of the party detest him and he wont even win all the Republican party votes

He may be popular within the party he is not with the electorate

He has very little chance of winning the actual race to the white house as he appeal to a narrow band of the party rather than the electorate as a whole

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

American politics strikes me as being massively partisan amongst the electorate but much less so when it comes to the horse trading inside congress. (That’s just an impression – I’m sure the reality is more nuanced.)

As I understand it, there are lots of reasonable republicans, for whom Teump would be an embarrassment. Is there any polling on how these republicans would vote if it was Trump v A.N. Other (Dem)?

Would they vote a monkey from the GOP rather than a democrat? Would they just stay at home? Would some of them actually vote Dem to keep Trump out?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Many members of the GOP detest him so it seems reasonable to suggest that many of their core voters will abstain

He is many things but he wont be winning over the middle ground moderate and surely anyone, whatever their actual politics, can see that this man would be a **** disaster in any important role requiring compromise, diplomacy and a modicum of not being an utter utter ****

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In a country of bizarre political races…I thought Palin was pushing the boundaries of credibility… 😯

I also sense a large part of the republican vote would abstain. Then again, they’ve had (or will have had) eight years without one of their own at the White House…you never know.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed

However its a bit like we only had one right wing party and they vote frage- plenty of right leaning ofok would not be supporting him even in a two horse race – well they might if Corbyn was the alternative but you get the point

I think we just have to remember that the party members are considerably more right wing than the electorate as Palin and Trump show

I pray that Bush was the extent of the US dalliances with a moron but time will tell.

maxtorque

If he gets into the whitehouse, it will put american politics back by 10 years!

You might not agree with OH-bamas policies, but at least he has his own brain and you think, can understand how to tread the middle ground. Trump is a rich idiot, and the US is bad enough already when it comes to being insular and self obsessed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Clinton attracts almost as much hatred from sections of the GOP vote as does Trump from the Democrats. There will be many GOP voters who don’t particularly want Trump but most definitely will not abstain and let in Clinton. It’s a two horse race, he really could win it all 😯

@bikebouy, I misread the situation, totally really. Trumps popularity/familiarity from his 10+ years on the TV plus his “no nonsense / not politically correct” messages have been very powerful

mamadirt
    Free Member

Download your own coloring (sic) book here 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Loved this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGc2nN9OguQ[/video]

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Brilliant. Let’s just hope enough people are listening in ‘Merica.

grum
    Free Member

Struggling to see why jambalaya and LHS wouldn’t be fans of Trump.

pondo

Never heard of John Oliver before but enjoyed that. Drumpf he will be for me for evermore (especially with the Chrome extension 😀 ).

closetroadie
    Free Member

Holy thread resurrection Batman.

It looks like he may win.

My take on it is this: He is going to make N. America self sufficient and his foreign policy is “We don’t care”

He appeals to the working class, even donning a baseball cap which is so cliched I’m amazed he gets away with it. He’s republican now (was supportive of the Clintons) and they are not usually sympathetic to the actual needs of the working class but he may appeal to their aspirations.

He has tapped into a deep well of discontent which has been festering in the USA for sometime. He makes it look like there’s a simple answer to all of this – remove any outside interference.

Personally, I think Bernie Sanders has the best attitude but he’s too old!.

Its sort of interesting how this will play out. Trump gets in, advisers around him says “No, you can’t do that because of x,y,z” Sacks anyone who doesn’t do things his way. Try’s to deliver on his promises and then it all falls apart globally.

Whay am I concerned? Its USA’s business but they have an influence.

Northwind

closetroadie – Member

Personally, I think Bernie Sanders has the best attitude but he’s too old!

He’s only a couple of years older than Reagan was when he took office.

The sad irony… Repeated polling says Sanders is best placed to win- he outperforms all other presidential candidates. But he won’t get a chance to run, because his party is going to select Clinton, who is considerably less likely to win.

Obviously, polling is only polling, but these results are being returned pretty consistently now. Pretty bizarre tbh- polling of democrats has often suggested that they see electability as a key reason to vote Clinton over Sanders, even though the exact opposite seems to be the case.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@closet – this thread seems to be the main one these days Linky

Yes sadly it looks like he will win the nomination and may well win the election come November

@Northwind Bernie would not stand a snowballs chance of winning the Presidency. Zero. If the Republicans could get him to win the nomination they’d make it happen – think Corbyn here. In any case he’s so far behind Hillary he cannot catch up.

closetroadie
    Free Member

Best description of Hilary was from a comedian commentator on Fox who said she was ‘clunky’ She doesn’t seem to have anything to say and is relying on her experience of being in high office.
    Ronald Reagan didn’t act old.
    Trump may be the better republican candidate, some of the others are scary god fearing types.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

@Northwind Bernie would not stand a snowballs chance of winning the Presidency.

Yes, that’s the propaganda. It just doesn’t seem to be true, is all. So it goes, with propaganda.

He won’t have the opportunity, sadly, but that’s a different matter.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I was just wondering how long Jama would take to make a Sanders = Corbyn comparison.

The situation does seem daft. Trump deeply unpopular with everyone, except his supporters. Sanders with most popular with democrats and least unliked bu the republicans, but no chance of getting the nomination. Even if he wins the popular vote the super delegates would swing it in favour of Clinton, who divides opinion all across the board too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bit of a shake up with Saunders doing better in the polling
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/pres_general/
    not sure if the boost for Kasich is a last ditch effort or a pat on the back for the one who can’t win.

His declaration that he won’t abide by the promise not to run anyway seems a threat to the convention, Trump vs Cruz/Kasich Vs Clinton/Saunders would be a blood bath for the Republicans.

oldnpastit

A lot of Americans I talk to have a quite visceral loathing for Hilary. If it comes down to Trump v. Hilary, I wouldn’t bet against him.

EDIT: although those same people also agree that Trump is an idiot. But that’s not the same as saying he’s unelectable.

airtragic
    Free Member

His comments on McCain. What a c***.

richmars

Even if Trump fails this time, it’s clear someone like him gets a lot of support. A slightly less extreme version will almost certainly be president with 10 years.

slowoldman

The situation does seem daft. Trump deeply unpopular with everyone, except his supporters.

Sounds like most politicians to me.

fasthaggis

The Trump has revealed how he gets his motivation from old Elvis songs. 😯

Linky

Danny79
    Free Member

If he gets nomination doubt he’ll get presidency because of his unfavourable rating currently 63% (highest of all candidates) Hillary is at 54% not matter how much people hate Hillary they hate him more Bernie is 42%.

Would be interesting to see if his nomination splits the party there are plenty of republicans stating they’d vote for democrat candidate or stay home.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/donald-trump-favorable-rating

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was just wondering how long Jama would take to make a Sanders = Corbyn comparison.

Its an obvious one though, populist (relative) left wing candidate good for headlines but with no chancs of being elected. In US political terms Bernie is a communist. IMO Hillary and the Democrats are far to the right of Cameron and the Conservatives. As I’ve said befire I am for Hillary

The recent furore over Trump’s abortion comments are very illuminative – the press desperate to create a controversy. If you listen to what he actually said in responce to the question; (my summary)

Interviewer: If abortion is illegal shouod there be a punishment / consequences ?
    Trump: Yes probably
    Interviewer: but you always have a firm poistion/view
    Trump: I do normally buts its complicated

We here are in danger of living in oir own bubblemofmoress reporting without appreciating that Trump is a lot more popular than we want to admit

oldnpastit

without appreciating that Trump is a lot more popular than we want to admit

The BBC really are bad for this; they still seem to be in denial about his popularity.

mefty
    Free Member

The BBC’s coverage of US politics hasn’t had any balance for years, it is appalling and a major failing.

steveoath
    Free Member

The BBC’s coverage of politics hasn’t had any balance for years, it is appalling and a major failing.

Ftfy

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Hillary and the Democrats are far to the right of Cameron and the Conservatives

Where the F does that put Trump & GOP??

You want to stop whatever it is your smoking because there is no way the Dems & HC are “far to right of the Cameron & the Conservatives”……

Edit: the sane Americans I know all think that Trump will get his ass handed to him on a plate should he & HC be in the same room together i.e. a debate.

peajay

If you’re interested in US politics listen to the Rachel Maddow podcasts, fascinating stuff at the moment!

GrahamS

If you listen to what he actually said in responce to the question; (my summary)

Interviewer: If abortion is illegal shouod there be a punishment / consequences ?
    Trump: Yes probably
    Interviewer: but you always have a firm poistion/view
    Trump: I do normally buts its complicated

And if you read the further context beyond that still seems bad.

He also says repeatedly that he is “pro-life” or “pro-life with some exceptions”.

Which seems a bit different to 1999 when he was asked “Would President Trump ban partial birth abortion?” and he said “I’m Very Pro Choice.. I hate abortion.. but I believe in choice…”

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsOlXidHXRE[/video]

😯

zippykona

konabunny
    Free Member

Edit: the sane Americans I know all think that Trump will get his ass handed to him on a plate should he & HC be in the same room together i.e. a debate.

That’s a self-selecting group though isn’t it?

Hillary has a really toxic brand, at least fifty percent of which is deserved.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 22,966 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.