Viewing 20 posts - 2,801 through 2,820 (of 2,820 total)
  • Dominic Cummings !
  • mildred

Fair enough.

Oddly, unless I’ve misunderstood him, he has previously talked some sense when on about the North & how politicians from all sides should reconsider their respective attitudes.

This taken from Wikipedia:

Cummings has frequently criticised what he sees as a London-centred political system that failed to countenance the UK’s voting to leave the European Union.[115] He has expressed his dismay that many voters’ concerns, particularly in Northern England and the Midlands, have been ignored by both the Conservatives and Labour and ‘taken for granted’.[115] He criticised New Labour’s attempt at re-balancing inherent structural deficiencies within the British economy following de-industrialisation with a system of tax credits.[115]

He essentially told Labour how they lost yet has been vilified for this by Labour (I suppose nobody likes to hear an uncomfortable truth). He basically told BJ how to tap into Labour’s “red wall”, which was, after all his job. That he did it whilst believing BJ wasn’t fit for office is neither here no there; again, he was merely doing what they paid him to do. I think this is why he often appears bemused by people like Laura Kuenssberg and her bizarre way of making a blatantly biased statement and then acting as though she’s just posed an insightful question.

nickc

he was merely doing what they paid him to do

I think characterizing Cummings as a ‘paid for stooge. misses the point of the man entirely; he’s a true believer. In so much as he desperately wants things to change. He’s sees a dysfunctional system (I honestly think he regards “dysfunctional” as anything not designed by him)  and wants to mend it, but that’s all he can do. He sees a problem and throws effort at it to fix it, but I don’t think he takes any notice of the collateral damage he creates because of that action. Hence his bewilderment at the reaction to Brexit. He sees the lies of Turkey joining the EU and the £350 million on the side of the bus as “means to an end” I don’t think it all crossed his mind that because of these lies, the losing side would regard the outcome as illegitimate…He really (I think) doesn’t get that at all. All he can do when faced with that is shrug, smirk and mumble.

Then next we see him “working very hard” (his words from the interview) to get Brexit done and we’re in the Whip withdrawing, illegally shutting down parliament, phase that sees (eventually) May and Corbyn defeated and Johnson elevated, a man he knew all along (apparently) was completely unfit for the role, so now has to set about solving that issue (that he helped create)

The man is tactically a genius, his ability to solve immediate difficult issues is truly astonishing, only matched by his ability to only ever destroy utterly the thing without replacing it with something better. He’s supposed to be (and thinks of himself) as this great strategic thinker, but has so far yet to build anything worthwhile.

dannyh
    Free Member

Nah you are letting him off lightly there. He was doing the job since he had a dream that he could use brexit to do his “reform” of government. He was using the tories as much as they were using him.

Indeed. He’s a very dangerous character. A devious shit with a messiah complex and convinced he is the reincarnation of Machiavelli. He gets off on his ‘powers’.

If I had my way he’d be sitting in a dock on charges of treason for accepting foreign money from ‘bad actors’ to deliberately sabotage his own country.

kimbers

Is everyone enjoying his brainfarts on twitter

Hes already admitted they signed the deal in bad faith & prioritised brexit over peace in NI

Brexit being a shitshow really has him rattled!

MoreCashThanDash

That’s what I don’t get. They were showing news footage the other day of the aftermath of the Omagh and other bombings, and MrsMC and I commented on how that kind of horror was a weekly occurrence, mainly in NI but also here on the mainland sometimes. I was in Manchester a day or two before the big bomb there, army recruitment officer was shot in Derby.

How can politicians who are my age not remember growing up watching that and think peace in NI was an acceptable thing to gamble?

binners

They know full well what’s at stake, they just don’t care.

It’s just bad stuff that happens to other people, not them

Belfast might as well be on the other side of the planet as far as these ****s are concerned

As for Cummings… is their anything left that he passionately campaigned for that he hasn’t subsequently renounced?

He seems to have been very busy absolving himself of any responsibility for anything

kerley
    Free Member

They know full well what’s at stake, they just don’t care.

Yep. Just like when they drive past a food bank, walk past a homeless person, happily reduce benefits and so on and so on. All things they could fix in the position they are in but they focus and prioritise anything else above it.

nickc

It’s always enlightening reading the things that people like Cummings capitalize in their tweets. I presume “PRORITIZE” in this instance has another secret meaning that we’re not privy to…

It’s not just Johnson and Cummings that fail to understand the damage they’re doing to a hard won peace agreement (the clue here being that it needs two names Belfast/Good Friday in order to be acceptable) that is so desperately fragile.

Voting conservatives at the time of Brexit were happy to “give up” NI to allow Brexit to be achieved  (I’ll try to find the polling data)

dazh

Voting conservatives at the time of Brexit were happy to “give up” NI to allow Brexit to be achieved

It’s odd that the Conservative and Unionist party seem to be doing everything they can to achieve a united Ireland. What I don’t get though is why liberals are suddenly so pro-unionist when historically they’ve been on the side of the republicans. It’s another example of brexit flipping the ideological status quo.

binners

It’s one of the (many) ironies of Brexit that the English nationalists have done more to achieve a United Ireland than 30 years of IRA bombings ever did

I remember the polling Nick was talking about. It was a massive majority of Tory voting Brexiteers (about 70% IIRC) that were happy to jettison NI as the price of Brexit

zippykona

It’s all very comfy while they keep the war vocal
    But the bombs in Belfast are coming down your local

Crass.

fasthaggis

They we know full well what’s at stake, they we just don’t care.

It’s just bad stuff that happens to other people, not them us

Binners ,that could be first lines from every and any Tory manifesto.

kimbers

hes still going

dissonance

“babble of student politics”?
    Binners is that you?

davros

It is quite amusing/interesting having someone who has very recently been on the inside at heart of government who doesn’t need to watch what he says. Normally this stuff would come out 30 years later in a memoir. It’s just a shame it’s coming from someone who trashed his own credibility, making it easy for his opponents to dismiss. Still, it looks quite damaging all the same.

Keep going Dom.

donks
    Free Member

Missus and I were in in a restaurant in Chinatown on sat and Cummings and friends were on the table next to us……gave serious consideration to jabbing him in the eye with a chopstick.

binners

babble of student politics”?
    Binners is that you?

Curses! My true identity has been sussed!

He’s got a point though. No wonder we all treat Westminster politics with such contempt.

It’s pretty interesting having a Westminster insider happily lobbing hand grenades around. It’s just a pity he’s such an utter ****.

Just watching Damian Hinde on Peston. Like all of this expensively educated cabinet of utter morons, you wouldn’t let him run a bath, never mind a government department

dissonance

It’s pretty interesting having a Westminster insider happily lobbing hand grenades around.

Not really since he was someone who was throwing handgrenades around prior to his inside work and just kept up the work. As useful insights go someone who is such a tech will solve everything fantasist isnt really worth spending time on especially when he is the subcategory who has bugger all tech skills.

dyna-ti

Nothing like a previous advisor scorned. The guy is laughable.

None of his moans bothered him when he was in a position of power.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

he was someone who was throwing handgrenades around

expert at destroying stuff

not so hot at making things better

he was exactly what the country did not need

Viewing 20 posts - 2,801 through 2,820 (of 2,820 total)

The topic ‘Dominic Cummings !’ is closed to new replies.