Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Domestic Steam Cleaners ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

Karcher or any other recommendation ?

For floors, tiles, bathrooms, etc ….

TIA 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

i nearly posted this thread on monday. the mrs is after one.

we have tiles,laminate and oak flooring throughout – now i would be skeptical about using them on oak flooring if not for the fact my dads fitted heaps of it , and most of it gets steam cleaned and he has had zero issues inc in his own house – claims because its leaves less moisture than most folk mopping that itll be fine . the packet it comes in doesnt advise it but says “use low steam if you do steam mop”

ive seen the karcher one thats like a vacumn with seperate unit and a hose – bnq knocking it out for 85 quid just now – seems to get good write ups and likewise there is a vax upright for 65 quid in john lewis – which is what my parents have – they also seem happy with.

how ever – what reviews come back with is that although the steam cleaner cloth gets dirty and the floors shiny (+ stains removed) – the floors not actually clean underneath and wiping with a damp cloth reveals plenty dirt still on it – has anyone experianced this ?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered a vax one on Monday, I’ll report back when it arrives.

Gotama
    Free Member

We have the vax one and although i haven’t done a wipe test i am very skeptical as to how clean the floor actually is. There is very little steam that comes out of it when you’re pushing it around and i find it hard to believe its really doing a great deal, certainly when compared to giving it a good scrub with a mop and bleach. As a result i can’t say i’d recommend the vax one.

z1ppy

My g/f really likes them, lots of dirt on the pad after use, though we never tried to see if any dirt was left, but our cheapy one blocked up with limescale before too long. Was lent a Vax one, which seemed better made than the cheapy one, but couldn’t say it seemed it worked any better. I’m a fan of the good old fashioned mop & bucket personally (tiles though, not wood), so now she leaves me too it…

clubber
    Free Member

Mrs clubber got the vax one and it seems to kick out a lot of steam and the results look good to me. It does need to be fully up to speed though which takes a while otherwise the steam produced is rather lacking in qty. Not sure I can add more.

Tracey

Had both of them. The Vax one went in the bin as the steam out put was rubbish. Got the Karcher one after seeing one been used at Bike Verbier. If its good enough for Phil its good enough for me. Works a treat on floors, tiles and even using it on the Velux windows. Loads of steam compaired to the other.

trail_rat
    Free Member

reviews for the karcher look alot more promising – what model did you get tracey ? – the 85 quid one doesnt look too great but the more expensive one – circa 150 does….seems alot of money to avoid mopping.

Tracey

Went for the SC1020 which has plenty of output for us. It takes a couple of mins longer to heat up than their dearer ones, the outputs looked the same, but holds more water.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Borrowed my Mum’s Polti Vaporetto, very impressed

footflaps

Can you use them on carpets and upholstery? Our cats leave a lot of muddy patches in the house this time of year, as well as disembowelled birds, rats, mice etc…..

johndoh
    Free Member

We did this – it worked too.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/argos?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=oneliner-one&utm_term=29-Oct-13-v1&utm_campaign=deals&utm_content=2

I wouldn’t have been happy at spending £100 on one, but at £25 it was a bargain – it certainly cleans well – a well-trodden vinyl floor (after a workman had been in for two weeks) came up really well.

njee20
    Free Member

We’ve got a Morphy Richards one, great on our oak floors, it’s pretty useless on everything else – bathroom etc.

johndoh
    Free Member

We have the Vax one – dirt cheap from Argos when they did a mis-price (they priced it as their cheapest ‘Value’ one – £25 IIRC). It certainly cleans well but I do find the cloth hood comes off a bit too easily when pushing it on some textured floors.

And plenty of steam comes out too – Gotoma are you pulling the trigger on the handle? If you are, yours sounds faulty to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Domestic Steam Cleaners ?’ is closed to new replies.