Domestic Safes – what do I need to know?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Domestic Safes – what do I need to know?
  • scruff9252

Looking to buy a safe for our new house. Other than either buying one to be bolted down or buying the heaviest & hardest to carry away by neer-do-well’s is there anything else we should consider?

Level of security in the realms of keeping passports, wedding certs etc as against multi million pound diamonds safe…

ta

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

The wee cheap digital ones can be opened very easily with minimal / no proper tools.
    I’d think hard where you’ve going to place it and try and hide it as much as practicable.

Get a key operated one rather than a combination  type.

Less to go wrong and keep a spare key off the premises if you can.

Get one with the best fire rating you can afford. It’s more likely that you’ll lose documents to fire than burglars.

Be creative about where you put it. It’s security value increases massively if no one knows where it is.

Floor safes are probably the easiest to hide.

johndoh

Sounds a daft question, but why do you want to put wedding certificates and passports in a safe? As far as I am concerned the last thing a 16 yr old scrote would want is my passport and having a safe just makes them think you have something valuable worth taking and would end up making more mess trying to find it. I could understand why you would want to protect some documents (wedding certificates, mortgage deeds etc) from fire though.

Premier Icon JAG
    Subscriber

I fitted a Safe in our house about 4 years ago.

I got one with a key, nice thick Steel walls and heavy duty hinges and I bolted it down.

I chose an unusual location (not in the floor or behind a large picture!) where it would be obscured by everyday objects that wouldn’t get moved much and wouldn’t look out of place in front of the Safe.

We use it for stuff that holds great sentimental value or that would be awkward or time consuming to replace. My Dads old watch, cheap jewelry that Mom/Dad bought for my Wife, Passports (loss of them could ruin a holiday) etc…

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

My parents have got one that looks like a double electrical socket. I know which room it’s in, I’ve even seen it opened once but I can’t tell which one it is.

Marin

You’ll always open it if they torture you.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

We discovered a little Key locking safe concreted into the ground floor slab of our house when we moved in with just one key, my concern is that I have no idea if any other keys exist and who might now have them?

Get a key operated one rather than a combination type.
    Less to go wrong and keep a spare key off the premises if you can.

Which prompts the next thread; “which safe deposit box to keep my home safe key in?”…

footflaps

My parents had a basic £50 fire safe with passports / bank statements etc in it. They were burgled whilst on holiday and the thieves carried it down the garden and set about it with a spade & fork, taken from the shed. They barely scuffed the paint and it was recovered pretty much intact by my brother.

We also have a firesafe for the same stuff. Basic rational was twofold:

1) if we get burgled they can take the laptops etc but we’re less likely to loose passports, birth certificates etc. I also keep any spare keys in there, so if they break a window to get in, they will have to exit via the same window as all the doors deadlock and the spare keys are locked in the safe.

2) if the house burns down, I have HD backups and all the important docs hopefully intact or just slightly singed..

footflaps

NB Some info on how secure cheap safes are…

Although as posted above, the scrotes who tried to break into my parents cheap safe completely failed…

johndoh

Which prompts the next thread; “which safe deposit box to keep my home safe key in?

At my old office there was a small wall mounted safe with a key in, however the door was jammed shut. Curiosity got the better of me so I took some tools in and managed to open it (it had simply jammed shut but the locking mechanism was working). So what was inside? Yep – another high security key. Unfortunately I couldn’t find another safe in the building so I assume it was removed when they renovated the offices before we moved in – it had been owned by Banardo’s as a regional office so I assume they probably just held personal details of children they were supporting rather than millions in Nazi art.

johndoh

Some info on how secure cheap safes are…

Although, as the instruction manual even shows at the start of the video, that is a Fire Safe. To keep items safe in a fire. And besides, how many teenage scrotes carry circular saws?

footflaps

Although, as the instruction manual even shows at the start of the video, that is a Fire Safe. To keep items safe in a fire. And besides, how many teenage scrotes carry circular saws?

Yep, fully agree.

But still interesting to see just how easy you can access them if you want to…

project

Fitted a cheap safe for a customer,digital keypad,and bolted to the floor with a cardboard box with base cut out over it, all selotaped up with Christmas decorations written on top as a deterrent.

They then forgot to replace the batteries, so the digital bit didn’t work, sadly they had lost the hidden key, so had to remove safe,large crow bar, lots of noise and finally got shield anchors out of the concrete, a few hard smacks with a hammer and screwdriver on the digital pad and the plastic front off, which allowed access to the locking lever, and safe opened nothing in it.

Cheap safes are crap,unless you hide them well, and change batteries and dont loose the keys.

footflaps

Didn’t the safe have external contacts for a PP3 battery, so you can power it if the internal AAs go flat? Pretty much all do these days…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.