Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Domestic oil suppliers
  • vala
    Free Member

Just moved into a property and it uses oil for all heating and hot water duties.
    Got the details of the company who the previous owners used but it appears they’re a firm who utilise many suppliers for their deliveries.
    Just wondering if anyone on here has an oil based heating system at home and who they use.
    Looking to get some other options to speak to tomorrow.

Alphabet

I’ve used http://www.boilerjuice.com on several occasions but have found my local firm offers similar or slightly cheaper prices.

gallowayboy

Not at home but one of our buildings at work has an oil fired boiler. Similar to your predecessor we use a broker. This is specified by my employer, who believe it’s cheaper. I suspect it’s to even out the cost over the year as fuel oil prices fluctuate a fair bit.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I use boilerjuice – as much because I can put a bit in each month and then when I need to refill there is money there ready.

Seem about as cheap as anyone locally.

siwhite
    Free Member

We use BoilerJuice as well – they have a helpful graph to show current prices. You can try phoning around suppliers but I suspect they use the same graphs when quoting prices as they are always almost identical.

A helpful tip – try to give as much notice as possible, and don’t leave it until your oil watchman gets down to 1 before ordering. Deliveries often take a few days to arrive, and short notice requirements are always more expensive – especially at this time of year. Also try not to need oil just after a tanker incident in the Gulf.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I find boiler juice to be the slowest and the most expensive way to get oil. Regardless of what they claim. – I used to use them .

I use either connons or Johnson’s oils as invariably they do a price that beats boiler juice and they will do next day or day after delivery for no extra cost unlike boiler juice who want a premium for quick delivery

bobbyspangles

Forget boiler juice, they suck. 3 times we expressed the need for a small wagon and 3 times they messed up. Wet go for Cotswold petroleum now, same low price and no excess charge for a quick delivery.

1981miked
    Free Member

As an employee of Johnston oils for the past 2 weeks I can recommend them, we will aim to have it with you in 3 days from ordering (busy times we can state 5 days). They offer a top up service aswell so we will come out on a regular basis to top the tank up so you won’t run out.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

We move into a house this week that uses oil for heating and water,new thing for us as always had gas.
    We’ve been looking around at oil prices including boiler juice, but ended up arranging a fuel delivery from Halls oil of Bridlington , alot quicker and cheaper …. interested to see how it compares to gas etc on running costs ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Surly it depends where you are in the country ?

Round our way there are no end of good local independents, but that could be because the whole area is on oil, no gas

vala
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll give Johnson’s and connon’s a call tomorrow.
    My partner is due our first child tomorrow (expecting to be late) but definitely wouldn’t mind getting the tank topped up as I don’t really know what the speed of usage is.
    A good friend of mine is an oil and gas plumber and rates oil very highly so I’m hoping it delivers!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes, it really depends where you are in the country – just find your local suppliers and ring them all getting their price for 1000 litres (less is more expensive, 2000L will be a bit cheaper still).
    Once you’ve done that go back to the cheapest and play them off against the next cheapest.
    No-one gives their cheapest price on the first call!

Be prepared to pay for it up front…. Not many do credit.

(We use about 1500-2000L per year for a 4 bed detached ex-farmhouse…. Obvs depends on how hot you have the house)

sharkbait
    Free Member

Oh, I’d just add that I’ve never used boilerjuice in the 18 years we’ve been here but I do look at their prices to see what is the absolute maximum price I should be paying.
    Local companies are always cheaper and quicker.

fettlin

Boiler juice is a good barometer of max price to pay in a hurry, but as above, ring your local independents.

They will be as cheap if not more so and once you’ve had a tank full or two they tend to trust you and give a pay after delivery service.

Callow oils here and they invoice with ten days to pay. Oh, ask your neighbor’s as well, if they need a refill then several tanks at the same time can get an extra discount, saves in delivery cost.

lesgrandepotato

The oil club, they are always round and about the best price for us. Using a 1000l per annum to heat a 3000sqft 4 bed here.
    Your consumption may vary. Generally get it brimmed in the summer is the cheapest approach. If you need 1000l just before xmas it’ll cost you.
    We avg about £35-40 a month in heating costs.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Use boiler juice to find out Max price then ring a few local suppliers. If you’re in central Scotland then I’d recommend Bryce Oils – were always cheapest for me.

richmars

I’ve used BoilerJoice a few times, but mostly get oil from a local supplier, who also services the boiler and does tanks. I reckon it’s good to have a local contact just in case I need something urgently.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was an oil rep for a few years (East Yorkshire) and worked in the trade for over 10. As above just phone round all local suppliers for the best price. You might find that this week everyone is topping up for Christmas so suppliers might be busy so you probably won’t get much cut pricing or playing one off against another. In the old days we used to be cheaper on quiet weeks to keep the tankers busy. We did have account customers and monthly DD but the best price was usually COD (or rather, paying over the phone there and then). And as stated above ppl price went down the bigger the delivery was. You’ll probably get a better price the first week in Jan, when it’s quiet. Also often we were cheaper when we were trying to reach budgets ie latter part of week or month. As with other utilities always shop around, don’t become a loyal customer, you’ll get milked.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You didn’t work for Rix did you B.A.Nana?

frogstomp

I may be wrong, but if I remember correctly Boiler Juice only shows prices from a load of companies that are owned by the same group – so the ‘best price’ is rather subjective.

Have a Google to see if your area has a heating oil cooperative – groups together orders in the local area to get a better rate. Also, enquire whether your new neighbours are filling up soon so you can bulk buy together.

kilo

Sceilg Ola user here, probably not the most convenient for op but they do a cheesy calendar which ensures my loyalty

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

You didn’t work for Rix did you B.A.Nana?

No, BFL (British Fuels Ltd) I worked out of the Pocklington depot for 2 years then went to work at the head office in Harrogate. They were taken over by CPL in late 90’s

sharkbait
    Free Member

No, BFL (British Fuels Ltd)

Ah. I was seeing the daughter of Mr Rix for a while.
    Mad as a box of frogs, but daddy owned some ships….. Which was interesting 😁

bigfoot
    Free Member

just spent £700 on 1300L today using a local firm, the only national company i tried was £130 more. could of got it a couple of pence a liter cheaper but not for delivery this week.

just have to hope all goes well with the plumber getting the boiler fitted so can have a warm christmass.

vala
    Free Member

In the end I called around a few companies to see what their prices were based off 500L, and a local firm to me (Conquest Oil) came out best.
    Boiler juice and another broker type firm we’re about £70 dearer.

highlandman
    Free Member

48.7p / L + Vat at 5% today for 1000L, delivery this week and pay in January.
    There can sometimes be an advantage to building up a long-term relationship with a supplier and that rate was the result of both ringing around the opposition and significant haggling at the favoured local dealer.

tillydog
    Free Member

48.7p / L + Vat at 5% today for 1000L, delivery this week

I just checked: Boilerjuice are quoting me 46.92/L +VAT for 1000L (Jan delivery though).

I’ve got 600L @47.21/L + VAT arriving through them this week though.

I used to do the dance of death between local suppliers, but was told by one that they wouldn’t compete with / match Boilerjuice prices.

Since then, I’ve just used Boilerjuice and got on with life. They still seem to be competitive around here (N Wales).

sharkbait
    Free Member

I used to do the dance of death between local suppliers, but was told by one that they wouldn’t compete with / match Boilerjuice prices.

Wow. Biggish supplier for N Wales is Wynnstay (now Rix petroleum – depots on Chester and Pwllheli) quoted lower than BJ without fail… before haggling!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Domestic oil suppliers’ is closed to new replies.