Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Domestic god?
  • bradley
    Free Member

What hoover? Simples. I know Dyson are the go-to but they are expensive, which I don’t mind, but is there anything else? I do believe I must notify you what sort of hoovering I’ll be doing too…low-pile carpet with cat hairs and toddler mess (shit, puke, crumbs, crumbs, crumbs, regurgitated crumbs).

weeksy

use Argos and look at the power… simple as that really.

It’s a hoover.. nothing more.

We bought one that’s powerful and does the job… it was about £80… i have sod all idea who makes it though

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“look at the power… simple as that really.”

But

The best thing about our dyson is how stupidly easy and unmessy emptying the cylinder is. Where as, employing the hose is a pain.

I’d like to add that the last time I gave my views on a bike on STW was probably 5 odd years ago.

I’m now off to top myself

wwaswas

Miele.

The pet attachment brush thing is great for cat hairs and the last one we had lasted 10 years. The current one is on year 4.

traildog
    Free Member

Sebo.

There is much more to a good vacum cleaner than just power. I had a 80-100 pound one from Argos for ages which was very powerful, but it didn’t pick up anywhere near as well as the Sebo and it smelt (i.e. blew out dust).

cranberry
    Free Member

Sebo +1

My brief experience of a Dyson had me wanting to throw the pile of cheapo plastic in the bin.

z1ppy

Miele, cat & dog, preferably buy the one with 3 separate heads for different jobs.

bradley
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will look into Miele and Sebo.

epicyclo

wwaswas – Member
    Miele.

The pet attachment brush thing is great for cat hairs…

+1

But how do you get the cat back out of the vacuum cleaner? It’s not urgent, it’s playing with the hamster….

kimbers

miele here- got ours on sale from john lewis 4yrs going strong, did have to replace the switch after I parked my wet bike over it and dripped water on it, but was an easy job and parts were cheap!

andyfla
    Free Member

Have a look at the iRobot roomba, we bought one about 2 years ago and it is ace. I went for a ride yesterday after setting him off and came back to a clean kitchen and dining room.

Superb, much better than doing it yourself

dannybgoode

Henry – can’t go wrong with a Henry. Will suck a pig through a hosepipe. And cheap.

pingu66
    Free Member

+1000 for Henry

Had Dysons and forever putting bits back on them, died in a tumble down the stairs, yeah I know that will probably do it but the Henry just keeps on sucking. There is probably a reason contract cleaners use them.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

… Henry just keeps on sucking. There is probably a reason contract cleaners use them.

it’s because when you’re cleaning an office it’s the only face that’ll smile back at you.

sharkbait
    Free Member

What hoover? Simples. I know Dyson are the go-to

Ha, really?? Don’t think so in my experience.
    Henry = powerful and effective but agricultural
    Miele cat & dog = powerful and nicer to use but potentially not a tough.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Miele

imnotverygood

Miele

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I just rescued my 10yo Dyson 05 from under the eaves and it is still doing a fine job. And it’s Green!

grahamg
    Free Member

it’s because when you’re cleaning an office it’s the only face that’ll smile back at you.

Superb. Must remember that one. Mind you I have a Hetty at home and it’s the only face that looks at me in a cheeky/seductive manner there too.

wallop

Miele.

I wouldn’t take a Dyson if you offered it to me for free.

Gunz
    Free Member

Henry all the way. I’ve just rendered a wall and plastered the bedroom and it sucked up an astonishing amount of rubble/dust/fire place refuse without flinching. You don’t need all the fancy attachments, the Henry is just a big motor attached to a bag, easy.

bradley
    Free Member

I knew Dysons were crap I just wasn’t sure what else to look for. I’m gonna go for the Sebo Felix pet.

Unfortunately a Henry is what we have at the moment and whilst good at its job the whole tag-along aspect is starting to suck the life out of me.

ratadog

Had 2 Miele’s that did about 10 years apiece. Miele also rebuilt one of them – it was a collect and return service that cost about a quarter of the cost of a new vacuum and replaced great chunks of it. Switched to Sebo because the Miele struggled to pick op dog hair as effectively as it might ( despite being a cat and dog model ). Bigger bag capacity than the Miele and so far slightly better at dog hair removal.

loddrik
    Free Member

Have had a dyson dc08 animal for 6 years and it’s still as powerful now as the day we bought it. Can’t praise it enough. Been my only experience of dyson but if it packed up tomorrow I’d definitely buy another.

I will say though that my aunt has an Oreck upright, it looks cheap and it’s lighter than any vacuum I’ve ever encountered but by god it’s powerful!!!

ourmaninthenorth

I’m gonna go for the Sebo Felix pet.

Good choice. We have the same (even with pets). Bags seem wasteful against the bagless Dysons, but it cleans superbly.

timidwheeler

I’ve got a Samsung. I don’t know if it’s any better than a Miele but I like the easy compatibility with my TV and HDD/Blue ray player. It also chats to my S3 while I’m asleep. I would hate to have a lonely hoover.
    If I got a Miele I would have to take it round my Mum’s so it could have some quality time with her built-in oven.
    I don’t know anyone called Henry.

Ambrose

My son uses a franken-henry, made of parts collected from various student houses he’s lived in over the past three years. It works wonderfully he says- but hey ho, he’s only just stopped being a student so how should he know what ‘clean’ actually means?

Henrys are great.

cheez0
    Free Member

Mrs cheeze has a Henry.

She loves it..

..i think

loddrik
    Free Member

Mrs cheeze has a Henry.
    She loves it..
    ..i think

And there you have it folks, modern man in all his glory…

drummer
    Free Member

Henry …it’s what the professional cleaners use ?

jon1973
    Free Member

Henry = powerful and effective but agricultural

what do you mean by agricultural?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Domestic god?’ is closed to new replies.