Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Dolan CX bike – any owners past or present?
  • stox
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a CX bike for general duties – commuting, winter riding, sky rides, attaching a kids trailer to etc .. and for some off road fun of my own.

I have a Dolan road bike which I love, the guys at Dolan are great to deal with and I like that I can spec it pretty much how I want without going mad price wise.

Any real world experience of them? How would they stack up compared to say a Boardman or similar?

nemesis
    Free Member

I have one. I’ve been very happy with it. Obviously they’re cheap so they’re not particularly light but not silly heavy either.

I swapped for a lighter carbon frame but I was always very happy with mine for CX, winter road riding and whatever inbetween.

On the off chance that you fancy a 60cm frame/fork (and I’ve got some other bits) (with canti fittings, not disc as the pic below), I’ve got mine to sell still..

Spud

I’ve been running a Multi-X as my winter trainer/ commuter for 18 months or so and very happy with it. Specced it up to Sram Force and Ksyriums. Does all I want it to.

LS
    Free Member

Ran one for a short time when I had a ‘supply issue’ with my planned race kit.
    Cheap, cheerful, strong but heavy. It’s basically the same as a Ribble winter road frame with canti bosses added. It’ll do the job so long as you aren’t expecting X-Night levels of performance!

stox
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Seems it’s not a bad choice as a general work horse

Would I find it ok for the odd blast around the local forest trails? Will the canti brakes be adequate?

I don’t want a fancy pants all singing all dancing disc equipped cx bike … I Just something that will do the job

Nemesis – thanks but not looking to build a bike up plus 60cm sounds too big

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Had my multix now for 4 years, it’s been faultless, even managed a season of sxc races where it performed admirably. As what other folk have said really, the only thing I’ll add is that the standard spec doesn’t include cx tyres, unless you ask terry nicely. Mine doesn’t have any disc mounts, but it has plenty of mounting points for mudguards and touring. I found the brakes crap, so religiously cleaned rims and replaced pads when needed. I’ve only just upgraded to a carbon 105 cx bike for double the price.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got a multi x and a kinesis pro 4. The kinesis is a much quicker and agile bike off road but its useless as a commuter as it has no mounts for mudguards.

The multi x is a brilliant commuter / workhorse. OK its not quite as responsive as the kinesis but for the price difference i woukdnt expect it to. Its still a nice ride and you can get 32c tyres and full length mudguards / pannier if you wish . the paint on mine is pretty bullet proof too .

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Dolan CX bike – any owners past or present?’ is closed to new replies.