Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Doing weights for weight loss… Whats best?
  • renton
    Free Member

Im looking at doing some weights to help with toning up and also some weight loss.

Dont want to get any bigger in size but would like to tone up so I have some definition.

Ive got the option to train twice a day for the next 3.5 months so can anyone help devise a good plan to follow.

Ive been doing some 5×5 strong lift stuff but not seeing any difference to be honest.

Cheers

Steve

BoardinBob

Ive been doing some 5×5 strong lift stuff but not seeing any difference to be honest.

How’s your diet? In simple terms you can’t out train a bad diet

renton
    Free Member

Diet is getting better and whilst I agree that diet will help with the weight loss it wont help with toning me up !!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Kettle bell workouts are meant to be great?
    I’m starting back at the gym on Thursday with one of their classes.
    See how I get on.

twonks

Weights are difficult to get right when combining with cycling, weight loss and toning.

5×5 is very good at initial bulking up and essentially shocking your body into growing. I wouldn’t say it’s a good routine for weight loss and toning as I found I had to eat enough to allow for muscle growth. (And also put the 2lb per exercise per day extra on the weights)

In general it meant I got heavier but stronger. Might have lost some fat and put on muscle mass, but ultimately for cycling more mass is not much good. I also found that the squat improved very quickly but it also made may quads ache much earlier on bike rides.

You’ll probably be better going to a more rounded workout with something like a 2 or 3 day split so every body part is worked 2 or 3 times a week but with slightly less weight and more reps.

Having said that I’m not qualified in health related matters at all, so please just take the above as my experiance and not gospel 😉

zilog6128

Diet is getting better and whilst I agree that diet will help with the weight loss it wont help with toning me up !!

why do you think people look “toned”? Low body fat.

renton
    Free Member

I feel stronger but Im also 18.5 stone so dont want to get beigger really.

Ideally want to aim for 14.5 stone with a bit of definition and also the stamina to last up to 4 hours in the saddle .

mikey74
    Free Member

the stamina to last up to 4 hours in the saddle .

Ride more. You won’t get that lifting weights in a gym.

tony07
    Free Member

High intensity interval training for weight loss. 5×5 for building strength.

Change the routine up every couple of weeks so your body doesn’t adapt to the exercise and plateau

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ride more. You won’t get that lifting weights in a gym.

Given the OP’s current location, gym might be a better option.

Renton, I’d say that if you’re looking at weight loss and stamina, a rowing machine is a better bet. Pretty sure there are some Concept 2s available there.

Oh, and keep out of the Goose!

mikey74
    Free Member

Given the OP’s current location, gym might be a better option.

What location would that be?

If riding more isn’t possible, then I agree that a rowing machine is the best indoor option.

tinribz
    Free Member

Toned is just low body fat (covering muscle). It’s supposed to be very difficult to both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time on a calorie controlled diet. Heavy compound lifts are usually recommended. If you want to lose bulk, cut down on the protein and your body will start digesting your muscle too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Aren’t high reps/low weight supposed to be the best option for toning?

renton
    Free Member

Im down the Falkland islands so riding is a it of a no no due to all the minefields!!

I find if I dont take protein that Im really sure for a couple of days rather than just a day.

Basically I want to lose 4 stone and get some definition about me. Ive got access to all the weights under the sun, x trainers, treadmills, swimming pool, static bikes and rowers !!

Anyone want to devise me a plan!

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Concept2 interactive weight loss program HERE

Throw in some press ups and sit ups after each session as well.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Leangains worked pretty well for me, as a way to maintain the amount of weight you can lift while losing body fat. Depends if you can handle 18 hours of no food every day, but it’s pretty easy to get used to if you can stick it for the first week or two.

Leangains.com has all the information you need to give it a go, there are some good macro calculators about online too to help guide what to eat. (Best to just read the site in roughly reverse chronological order)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Basically I want to lose 4 stone and get some definition about me. Ive got access to all the weights under the sun, x trainers, treadmills, swimming pool, static bikes and rowers !!

Do it in order then
    Drop the weight
    Do the toning.

Probably be aiming for more of the weight loss, cardio, stamina building stuff then when your sorted there look at the weights with what your left with.

Im down the Falkland islands so riding is a it of a no no due to all the minefields!!

They put mines on all the roads?
    https://www.strava.com/segments/explore#location/falkland%20island/type/cycling/min/0/max/5/surface/undefined/center/-51.73618,-59.51751/zoom/8/map_type/terrain
    Search some of the segments for the this week’s riders and you should find some good loops
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4412752

thekingisdead
    Free Member

As others as others have said toning is more about % body fat than the type of exercise you’re doing.
    Don’t worry about ‘getting massive’ by lifting weights. You need to eat extra calories on a controlled diet to bulk. It simply doesn’t happen by accident (and even then it’s difficult!)

I wouldn’t rule out weight sessions from your weight loss program – stick to compound lifts with the bar bell – get as many muscles working as you can. Don’t worry if you can’t keep adding weight – if you’re on a calorie deficit your body will struggle to build the muscle required to make continued gains.

It will be tricky to combine lifts with cardio sessions – but it can be done, I’m following a strong lifts (ish) routine combined with some big road rides at the weekend – you just need to remember when to not do the heavy squat / dead lift sessions.

Heavy compound lifts will fire up your metabolism and trigger a hormone response that keeps you burning calories through the day. Plus I don’t think there’s a sport out there that doesn’t benefit from increased core / overall strength.

Most importantly, as previously said – you can’t control a bad diet!

CheesybeanZ

Anyone want to devise me a plan!

The Armed Forces has some of the best physical trainers in the world, you could ask one of them !
    Or find a Royal Marine and train with them .

jimster01

This is a good beginner’s kettlebell workout – [video]https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=1U4JrNYjye0[/video]

Did awhile back,saw some good result.

sadexpunk

As others as others have said toning is more about % body fat than the type of exercise you’re doing.
    Don’t worry about ‘getting massive’ by lifting weights. You need to eat extra calories on a controlled diet to bulk. It simply doesn’t happen by accident (and even then it’s difficult!)

I wouldn’t rule out weight sessions from your weight loss program – stick to compound lifts with the bar bell – get as many muscles working as you can. Don’t worry if you can’t keep adding weight – if you’re on a calorie deficit your body will struggle to build the muscle required to make continued gains.

It will be tricky to combine lifts with cardio sessions – but it can be done, I’m following a strong lifts (ish) routine combined with some big road rides at the weekend – you just need to remember when to not do the heavy squat / dead lift sessions.

Heavy compound lifts will fire up your metabolism and trigger a hormone response that keeps you burning calories through the day. Plus I don’t think there’s a sport out there that doesn’t benefit from increased core / overall strength.

Most importantly, as previously said – you can’t control a bad diet!
    exactly that. you dont accidentally put on muscle. control your diet by whatever means works for you (leangains/lots of smaller meals/myfitnesspal?) and coupled with any routine really youll see success. i can suggest a well balanced weights routine if you so desire, drop me an email if interested.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A timely appearance on my FB timeline
    http://viz.co.uk/less-cake-exercise-magazine/ 😉
    Just up there as a joke

womble72
    Free Member

kettlebells for the win! Last year I started a low carb high fat diet and joined a local kettlebell class. The instructor was ace, the classes are awesome and I looked leaner and stronger. Brutal classes if you put the effort in. Dropped 13kg in body weight over 6months doing one class per week combined with the diet. Highly recommended.

vondally
    Free Member

. Ideally want to aim for 14.5 stone with a bit of definition and also the stamina to last up to 4 hours in the saddle .

If that is your goal/s then as people have said above you need to consider

Cardio…building up your aerobic capacity and stamina through the machines you have, ideally rowing and cross trainer but if you have access to a spin or watt bike even better. Personally I would avoid a gym stationary bike as they are rubbish ergonomically.

Functional strength, so for stamina and strength look at weights but use lower weights and high reps. Compound or barbells are great but I would recommend staring with get your form correct and develop the range of motion so look at air squats, goblet squats with kettle bell, the move to barbell squats over a few weeks. Similiar start on press ups and develop to incline press ups, increasing reps as you go.a Dr in box jumps, plyometric jumps and core and back exercise you will be functionally stronger to ride your bike, stringer core, legs and arms plus you maybe lighter.

HIT..high intensity training is excellent and is a great way to combine all body movments , and cardio. use your heart rate monitor to train correctly. Limit your rest periods between sets, So many people sit around recovering when they are really chatting afor minutes between sets.

Diet….alter you diet but pay attention to nutritional intake so your carbs and protein, with a balance diet there is little need for protein shakes. Be careful snacking when sat down and try where possible to get up and move.

Weights do them but look at incorporating supersets with little rest in between and in a wider programme
    Kettle bells are good but start light.

Stretching….get into a routine of stretching

Patience….if you do start training regular and eating differently you will see results and then you may plateau, so patience and changing your plan of training will be needed.

Finally or firefly are you medically okay to train, all us internet folk will give you lads of advice but see your MO and ensure you are okay.

Have a look at YouTube…home of the nightmare training advice but Nike have series of videos on functional training, see pink bike for yoga/ stretching for mountain bikers…..and there was a mountain bike specific trainer …James? who was very good.

vondally
    Free Member

No idea what happened with the font there, sorry, good luck

docgeoffyjones

For me following James Wilson’s programs plus sorting out my diet has helped me lose 5 stone 9lbs since last June.

The programs break down into:
    stretching and Mobility
    A strength Circuit
    Then a Complex which is a weighted interval workout.

As you lose weight your metabolism will slow down so increasing muscle mass will help bring that back up. Steady state cardio is not going to help you shift much weight.

As said before you cannot out train a bad diet. Remember when it comes to diet everyone is different so do some research try stuff out and monitor your results.

Don’t forget the basics. drink plenty of water and get quality sleep make your recovery as important as your workouts.

mactheknife

Renton, i am assuming that the falklands have internet access? If so i would go online and start researching properly how to achieve what you want. The information is all out there. Yep there is a lot of BS as well but the added benefit being that you really learn why you train a certain way for certain benefit. Oh and if you have a RAF or navy PTI out there i would stay well clear. Seriously.

Rowing is brutal but its an amazing tool for full body / strength and cardio workouts.

Compound weights are your your friend. Nothing snazzy just old fashioned deadlifts, squats, press ups and bent over rows etc. Keep a diary and aim to increase your weights every week but gradually.

If you are willing to pay for it then i would recommend programs by –
    Chris Kilmurray, Point 1 program and Bike James. They are both bike related programs so will suit your needs.

I know its a bit daunting trying to figure out how to structure workouts but at your stage its not complicated. Oh and try to find what you enjoy as well. It makes working out so much more enjoyable.

On your days off try to incorporate mobility work. Foam rolling and stretching.

Now go. Research and enjoy 🙂

woffle
    Free Member

Compound weights are your your friend. Nothing snazzy just old fashioned deadlifts, squats, press ups and bent over rows etc. Keep a diary and aim to increase your weights every week but gradually.

From personal experience; this. And kettlebells.

If I could give one piece of advice it’d be to get someone qualified to help sort your form on the ‘standard’ lifts – squat and deadlift as a minimum. I’ve seen some truly frightening form in the gym from people who really should know better. It’s easy to do yourself some damage.

downhilldave

5:2 diet first, then tone up maybe. I dropped from 86kg to 80kg in five weeks and will continue with it when when I get moved to Spain.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

meh, using weight to measure your progress is wrong, the headline of the thread is wrong.

to loose weight its mostly about diet and continue with your current exercise.

Adding body tone the sets need to be longer to build up the muscle, head for the 15 mark with a slightly lower weight. smaller sets with max weight are for strength which isn’t quite the same as body tone.
    ^^all in general terms of course.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

GO for a run

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Mucking around on a minefield is a very quick and permanent way of shedding a few pounds !

However I would opt for the concept 2, study the user guides on their web site, learn how to adjust the drag factor and concentrate on technique, this will make all the difference, I personally think the C2 Rower is a fantastic overall fitness tool, second only to a good fast blast on the HT. Once you have mastered the technique you can then mix and match your sessions, throw in some bodyweight sessions, try squats/press ups on 30/20 regime 30 seconds of squats followed by 20 seconds press ups, 8 times through, get an exercise timer app or a GYMBOSS Timer, give the NAAFI a wide berth and good luck !

plyphon
    Free Member

If you already weigh 18.5 stone dropping to 4 stone will make you look toned without touching a set of weights.

(slight exaggeration maybe but seriously your bodyfat is covering your muscle as this point)

Download MyFitness Pal, count your calories daily. Be strict. Loose weight.

plyphon
    Free Member

lose*

BillOddie

meh, using weight to measure your progress is wrong

Thank you!

to loose weight FAT its mostly about diet and continue with your current exercise.

Ignore the scales, they are the wrong measurement!
    Take waist, thigh, chest and bicep measurements.

Cut down on the sugar/refined carbs, make sure you get enough protein, add healthy fats. “Toning up” means losing FAT which means your diet needs to change.

Ride your bike.

Yes, lift big heavy weights. So you are on the right track with Stronglifts as you are concentrating on compound lifts.

Waving light weights around for 15 reps doesn’t “tone you up”.

Do some HIIT and Kettlebell circuits too. This will increase work capacity and CV fitness.

Form follows function, if you get fitter and stronger, you will look better.

If you don’t know what you should be doing and when get a decent personal trainer.

WildHunter2009

Couple of runs up and down Mt Osborne should sort you out! I’m guessing your based in MPA? If you get the chance try and get out to some of the islands. Saunders Island and the Neck is awesome, also Pebble Island. Stay outa the Globe, Deanos and the Victory if you want to stay healthy.

The islands are a magical place in many ways, enjoy yourself!

renton
    Free Member

Cheers wildhunter, its my second time down here so covered quite a lot of the above on my last tour, however I will be getting out again.

So am I on the right track carrying on doing the compound moves but upping the reps from 5 x 5 to say 3 x 12 or should I stick with original?

Im staying away from the bikes down here as the seats on them are more like armchairs and are the most uncomfortable things I have ever sat on.

I will also do some core stuff as I know good core will help with posture.

What about strecthing??

docgeoffyjones

GO for a run

then treat yourself to some cake when you get back?

Don’t run to get in shape, get in shape so you can run.

http://www.flamanfitness.com/blog/dont-run-to-get-in-shape-get-in-shape-to-run

renton
    Free Member

Thats quite interesting reading !!

deviant
    Free Member

‘tone up’ and more ‘definition’ come from not eating….bit extreme but you get the idea, calorie deficit, nobody came out of the concentration camps fat did they?….poor taste perhaps but you get the idea.
    Eat less, move more.

I’ve lost a decent amount of fat in recent months due to poor health and other issues that have put me off food but I’ve kept active and the fat just disappears, you won’t necessarily feel great (unless you do it really slowly) until you get down to your target size/weight/definition and can then move into a maintenance diet as opposed to a calorie deficit one.

Weights are fine, as is cycling…i’ve always found it a nice combination although I appreciate bodybuilder size and cycling don’t really gel (unless you’re that freaky German track cyclist)….anyway, that’s my recent experience on the matter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Doing weights for weight loss… Whats best?’ is closed to new replies.