Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • D'oh! Phone upgrade time. Please help me choose!
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

8meg iPhone 3G vs Nokia N86 vs Palm Pre

I'd get the N86 for Nokia maps and the decent camera if it weren't for the old school text input. Various Samsungs and Sonys show up in my upgrade plan but for £35 a month on 02 the above seem the best free choices…

(oh! Does the iphone really not send mms?)

Jamie
    Free Member

(oh! Does the iphone really not send mms?)

No it really does.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

A-ha! Lovely, thanks. Only problem now is the crappy camera. Maybe I'll toss a coin between it and the Nokia. Not too excited by the Palm

muggomagic

Palm pre keyboard is terrible. guy at work has one, and loves the phone until he has to type something, then that love turns to hatred.

I had a N86 and the cam is good as are nokia maps. Bit rubbish with regard email, internet, but not completely hopeless.
    I've got an iphone now, and it's great at everything. the camera is ok for taking shots that you can email, upload to twitter/facebook or mms to others, not good enough quality for much else.

nickjb
    Free Member

How about the nokia 5800? All the mapping of the N86 and a touch screen and cheap

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

cheers muggo – that's pretty helpful.

i'll have a look nickjb 🙂

CountZero

the iPhone camera is perfectly adequate for snapshots. The pic above was taken last Sunday on my 3G 2Mp. The current 3Gs is 3.2Mp. The fancy cameras on many phones aren't that great, 5Mp is about the maximum pixel count on a phone camera chip before digital noise becomes a real issue; the 12Mp Sony camera isn't that great from what I've read. Certainly out of the SE K750i, Nokia N95 and iPhone, the iPhone's camera is far and away the easiest to use; I've taken hundreds of photos with mine, whereas I doubt I took more than a hundred on the K750i, and the N95 was so bloody difficult to use I think I managed about ten in-focus pics. Plus there's a whole bunch of apps that let you tweak the pics as well as apply effects. I want a phone camera that just takes snaps without having to spend time phaffing around, and the iPhone's does just that. I've got a TZ3 and a Nikon D60 for fancy stuff.

CountZero

here's another panorama I took with my iPhone last year.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

All good points CZ (and i like the turbine shot) – the thing is we're saving for a house at the mo' so my photographic ambitions are limited to a battered compact. If I had a decent camera i'd take the iPhone over the N86 without a second thought.

Although, having said that, I have just spotted a site offering a free Panasonic FZ38 with monthly contract phones on the big networks – i might look into that in a bit more depth before i make a decision…

spacemonkey

Check out the deals on mobiles – plenty of good stuff to be had for a good price.

IMO take a look at the Android range.

pjbarton
    Free Member

if there's nothing you fancy, don't upgrade. Once your contract is up, get on a cheap plan and wait for what you want.

I'm waiting for the 4th gen iPhone this summer – I have the 3g and went from £35 to £19 / month for basically the same calls/text/data

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

I think I'll have a look at mobiles.co.uk – they seem like pretty good deals and the site I saw (http://www.buymobilephones.net) seems to border on dodginess.

Heh, if I'm honest, pjbarton I'm never going to be that bothered by any particular phone but, at the same time, I do want to get a decent one 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘D'oh! Phone upgrade time. Please help me choose!’ is closed to new replies.