Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Dogs dead!!!
  • stoney
    Free Member

Out with the dog as normal,( He is a Dogue d Bordaux, or “Hooch” as they are commonly known) He had jumped in the river, played the dig out a stone game and on the way back he collapsed on the bridge more out breath than normal and after a couple of minutes it was clear he was not going to get up… and he stopped breating.
    Bollocks!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh. That’s horrid. I lost my dog back in November and it really hurt. Still does.

*Glass raised in memory of your hound!*

Drac

Poor mutt but at least he had a chance to enjoy himself one more time.

colnagokid

Sorry to hear that, best wishes from me and Jim the Greyhound 😥

BoardinBob

🙁

Oxboy
    Free Member

thats a bummer mate, how old was he?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sounds like it went out on a high. sorry to hear it.

stoney
    Free Member

He was 6.

sofaking
    Free Member

we lost our dog aged 16 the week before xmas, still miss him lots.

hope your coping ok

remember the good times

coolhandluke
    Free Member

poor you and poor dog. What an awful way for him to go. At least he was doing what he loved.

We lost ours (golden retriever)last April. I think I only stopped being a bit upset about 2 months ago. Ours was 7, ends up he had a heart problem, we think. He died in the night after panting for a week and looking uncomfortable 4 visits to the vets didn’t turn up a thing ether.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

**** that’s a shocker!

*Raises glass with CFH*

Free Member

Stoney,

I just swore out loud, i’m sorry to hear that buddy.

Jonathan

Oxboy
    Free Member

did his heart just give out do you think? had he eaten anything on the way/on the walk?
    6 is young for a fit dog

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

It’s a funny old world. I still have sadder memories of the death of my dog (bought for me when I was 5 as a replacement for my younger brother who was killed in an accident) than I do for any of my grandparents. Oddly enough I knew my dog had died the second my parents called (I was at uni).

stoney
    Free Member

Ironicly i was going to start looking to rehome him as we are about to have No 5 child and it woulnd be fair on him as we would have even less time than we do now….yes he sertainly went on a high, literally 5 mins earlier he was swimming and digging stones out of the river. the downside is that i had to get him home, probably 200 yards, but as he weighs quite a bit and i cant carry him i had to run back and get my barrow!.(a little undignified i know!!) but i couldnt think of anything else.
    Gutted!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Speechless now*

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I know that it not seem much of a consolation, but at least you were with him when he died. It would have far worst to come home and find him dead. Sounds like a dodgy ticker 🙁

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

well pets do a fine job of educating children in the processes of life and death and with 4+1 to bring up you have some serious educating to do! Hope the kids are old/sensible enough to understand

eldridge
    Free Member

From what you say I’m guessing there was very little suffering.

So although it’s small consolation, this death was a little easier for both of you than it might have been.

Commiserations

stoney
    Free Member

Yeah it was fairly quick and it didnt look like he suffered at all. He just layed down and after a short while stopped breathing.

The 2 oldest went to sleep crying though!

BoardinBob

Proper gutting. We use a home boarding place for our dog when we’re away and the lady keeps three Dogue De Bordeaux. Beautiful big gentle giants. 😥

NZCol

I am laughing about you having to put him in a barrow – imagine meeting someone

“morning!”
    “Morning……what the f…..”

Sorry to hear it though – never good to lose a pet although 5 kids should make up for it ? Do you have a TV ? 😛

Hairychested
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this, sad news.

samuri
    Free Member

it’s crap losing a dog, almost like losing a child. sorry to hear about it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

almost like losing a child

You do realise samuri that you’ve left the door wide open for the insensitive idiots to now come in with their callous ridicule.

But yeah, I agree that family pets can become like a member of the family.

stoney
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments folks. Here he is….

1 year old, same as No2 boy…

No 1 boy…

Taken a few weeks ago….

Remember the good times!!!

PePPeR

I’m sorry for you too, I lost my terrier at the end of last year and we ended up getting a new dog as I needed my companion.

The new ones great, he hasn’t taken all the pain away, but he’s certainly kept me too busy to think about it much.

It does sound like you’re going to have your hands full soon enough too, so good luck with the new arrival.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Had a similar thing happen with our first Boxer. We had her out for a walk and she was running around as normal and then just slowed up greatly. I had a look at her and she was rather grey. I was worried so I ran back to the house to get the car. By the time I returned I found my wife lying on the pavement with the dog dead beside her. Truly heartbreaking! She was 7 months old and died of aortic stenosis. 🙁

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Paul.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Remember the good times!!!

*Glass raised, once more*

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

please stop raising your glass CFH, there’s precious little left in this bottle of wine

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Open another, that hound deserves it!

stoney
    Free Member

Cheers! CFH….

rickmeister

Another glass raised here.. sad tail…

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sadly down to the keepers now, a symptom of the wife being away for 2 weeks. not sure I could justify opening one of them. the single malts on the other hand………

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

oh well, macallan and Kate Beckinsale in leathers it is then 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright, if ever an Ardbeg was merited, this is it.

Stoney and family, my thoughts are with you all. Hard times, really hard times. But, as you say, “remember the good times”.

You know damned well that the hound is now up there chasing the eternal rabbit. OK, so he’s got competition from the wondrous Fred who is right up there chasing that self same rabbit, but it’s all good!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

not if Duster (terrierish cross) gets ’em down those burrows first.

stoney
    Free Member

CFH…..

Yes he did like chasing Rabbits!

Not that he got near them though!

Innes
    Free Member

Sad news Stoney.

Our oldest dog is 15 now, hopefully we will have her for a good while yet, they are such a big part of the family, and by your pictures looks like your dog was a big part of your family life as well.

Innes

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stoney, the eternal rabbit is just slower than the speed of the eternal dog chasing it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Dogs dead!!!’ is closed to new replies.