Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Dogs at trail centres
  • sheldona
    Free Member

Paddi hates trail centers* 🙂

*At the weekend when its busy but loves them in the week when no ones about.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wheres TJ – not much to say really. The same applies at trail centres as anywhere else – keep your mutt under control and its fine.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Personally I’ve only ever come across one Dog at a tral center and it didn’t cause any problems, got talking to the owner and he knocks about on here.

But to be honest when people say there’s generally no rules prohibiting walkers/dogs/horses etc from trail centres, there are centers where none of the above are allowed on the trails and vice-a-versa (riders not allowed on bridle/foot paths).

Any well controlled, well behaved dog shouldn’t cause a problem, however there are plenty of badly controlled/badly behaved dogs out there, that would be dangerous in public let alone in a trail center.

The other day I got knocked clean off my feet by a dog in Delamere Forest, I was “Very” restrained when I found the owner, he just didn’t give a monkies and was another 100m up the foot path!!!

Pook

one of my riding mates takes his dog everywhere we go, and that includes trail centres. The dog is well disciplined, stays out of the way and won’t be found getting in the way. I’ve had it run right alongside me with absolutely no fuss whatsoever.

Admittedly we don’t do downhills – that would just be foolish. I even look twice before crossing one, but to ban dogs altogether is a bit much. It’s all a bit, as i said before, like “golf course mentality”, which you lot seem to have;

“he’s not wearing the right clothes, so he’s not allowed on my golf course trail centre”
    “no dogs allowed”

Taz

I regularly take mine to Cwm Carn but only very early on weekdays or on night rides. I always clean up after him as should any do owner, anywhere!

In five years have probably seen about 5 other riders.

Only complaint was from a guy WALKING up the last section of the trail at about 7am one morning.

Met a few guys with dogs on various trails (Cwm Carn, GT, Afan) at the weekend. Think that is a bit inconsiderate but if the dog is well controlled I guess that is ok??

I agree banning would be ridiculous. Some ramblers would ban bikers from the countryside if they could as apparently ‘we are a bl00dy nuisance’

soobalias
    Free Member

MTB trail centres. no dogs, no horses, not motorcrossers, no walkers. For their safety as well as ours. Much like mtbr’s riding the wrong way on single direction trails.

Dog eggs. I struggle to see how any dog owners can really get this wrong, but so many do.
    If you feel the need to bag it, bin it.
    If its on the path/trail and there is no legal obligation to clear it up, at least move it to the undergrowth.

funkynick

Aaaaah, so is this no dogs, horses, walkers etc in the same way that it is no bikes on footpaths?

😀

smartay

I always though of mountain biking as a break from the day to day life controlled by the HSE and the sensible police.I didn’t realise that lots of mtb’ers were undercover HSE agents!!

As long as the dog is under control, runs with you during the week I cant see a problem. If its risk management try golf

I think its called “live and let live”

soobalias
    Free Member

if you really think that smartay, why would you ride trail centres?

smartay

I’ve been riding my local woods, sometimes with my dog, before it was a trail center!! Whilst cars whilsted past with bikes, on their way to mid wales.

Again it all comes down to if the dog is in control and the dog is suited to taking them with you for a ride.

Lets face it, there are some people who if you like have no “trail etiquette”, who also pull out in fromt of you because they’ve got to ride with their mates, go the wrong way round or decide to stop for a chat half way up a climb.

rant over

sheldona
    Free Member

I think my dog is actually better on the techy stuff than most of the ‘core trail center riders anyway so I don’t see the problem 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Dogs at trail centres’ is closed to new replies.