• This topic has 114 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Dogs at Trail Centres
  • theocb
    Free Member

I think it reasonable to expect dog owners to keep dogs on a lead at trail centres.
    Why would anyone think otherwise?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think it reasonable to expect dog owners to keep dogs on a lead at trail centres.
    Why would anyone think otherwise?

Because they have a life and better things to worry about than dogs on paths?

theocb
    Free Member

Your not making any sense.
    Just because you have a fantastic life doesn’t mean you can’t be reasonable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IanMunro
    Free Member

Dogs don’t even pay road tax.

grum
    Free Member

Because they have a life and better things to worry about than dogs on paths?

It’s called ‘being considerate’. Seems to be a problem for those with an enormous sense of entitlement. Thankfully most people get this.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

My dog comes riding with me and my mates and we’ve never had any issues. People walking their dogs around trail centres have caused me a few issues but they have never been well trained dogs. You could turn this thread on head by saying ever met an inexperienced rider standing in the middle of a trail as you exit a bend or even better is the rider with the tag attached to his bike. Do you stop these people from riding the trail centres… A well trained dog is no hassle.

theocb
    Free Member

Exactly Pugwash.. It is reasonable to expect riders NOT to stand in the middle of the trail just as it is reasonable to expect dogs to be kept on leads in such an environment.

Basic trail etiquette.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Parts of the black descent at Llandegla are easily 20mph+, while still being able to read the trail ahead for other users. Trouble is, you’re not looking for dogs leaping out of the undergrowth.
    Trail centre’s are bike specific routes & one way – no dogs please. Bridleways are open to various users & are two way.
    If your dog isn’t glued to your back wheel when you ride BW’s, then accept that your dog shouldn’t be out with you when riding. On sections where riders can be reaching high speeds, if your dog isn’t going to go that fast, then be aware of riders around you.
    We all want maximum enjoyment from our trail centre rides & trundling down descents after a few hours drive isn’t what anyone wants. I’m not saying everyone should leap out of the way if there’s a faster rider about, but common sense can prevail & simply easing aside at the first opportunity is easy enough to do.

nosedive
    Free Member

here we go, the ‘my dogs well trained so i am allowed to be inconsiderate’ arguments. yawn

stomlinson
    Free Member

I have taken my dog to trail centres before now he never leaves the trail in front on me and goes better than most riders! Besides who really cares about trail centres it’s not even proper mountain biking.

nosedive
    Free Member

yeah. who cares about other people.

slackalice
    Free Member

What fun! This is the first time I’ve bothered read one of these threads, I feel that Ive been missing out on a whole world of entertainment.

I’ve spent the last few minutes giggling, thank you! 😀

grum
    Free Member

A well trained dog is no hassle.

The trouble is that virtually all dog owners like to believe their dog is well trained. Then when they bite people or go after sheep it’s always ‘oh he’s never done this before’ and ‘this is so out of character’.

gerry2004uk
    Free Member

“I like reponsible dog owners.
    I like well behaved dogs.
    I like trail centres.

However, I intend to ride my bike round the show ring at Crufts next year;
    I shall crap on the floor, hump Clare Balding’s leg, bark at the judge and circle Peter Purves in a threatening manner, whilst Ms Spanner shouts ‘He’s harmless really, your microphone scared him’ in a patronising, smug voice.”

Rusty spanner that’s hilarious, i wish there was a like button on these forums

steviecapt
    Free Member

i wouldnt dream of taking my dog on these tracks, i know how much my dog cost also vets bills, obviously these so called responsable dog owners have more money than sense, they are usually the first people to whinge when they get stuffed with a large vets bill when their beloved pet ends up under someones wheel, it would soon wipe the smile off their faces, once watched a so called responsable dog owner throw a stick in the sea for his dog after i urged him not to because of the strong tide, the smug bastard soon changed his attitude when his dog was washed across the bristol channel and was lost,human nature some people dont give a shit till it all goes tits up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im beginning to think that some of the dog owners on here are actually quite selfish individuals.
    Its the same ones that leap to the defence of aggressive dogs and random dumping on trails. Their dog would never do it and theirs is under full control off the lead.
    Well someone must be doing these things.
    Yes you CAN take your dog to a trail centre, but dont you think its would better not to?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dog owners on here are actually quite selfish individuals

compared to the cyclists who believe that unless everyone is playing to the rules in their head then they shouldn’t be on the trails?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Actually they shouldn’t be on the roads either. :mrgreen:
    Oh nice selective quoting there, you missed out the important “some”, never mind eh.

some of the dog owners on here are actually quite selfish individuals

klumpy
    Free Member

So what’s wrong with a dog following their owners wheel?

As others have said, THAT isn’t a problem – but the videos have encouraged people with far less predictable mutts to try the same thing at the wrong times and places. I think the only things a dog would do that would be a problem are either poop on the trail, or burst out the bushes right in front of you.

(Or attack and kill you, I suppose.)

fd3chris
    Free Member

I guess it all depends on how much you value your dogs safety. I would never expose mine to such a dangerous environment. Well trained or not dogs can be unpredictable.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Afan a month ago, all through the saturday (10am – 6pmish) fairly regularly spotted dogs on the bike specific trails.

don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of a well trained doggy belting along with it’s owner but it’s a surprise every time

When I’m scanning the trail I’m looking for other human/bike shaped objects either riding, fallen or even little kids; did see a 6 year old (so the dad said) at the bike park nailing the berms! Jeepers I’m even half expecting a Deer.
    I don’t expect to see something at axle level pelting diagonally accross my path repeatedly as it’s unusual, it was a surprise (I think I saw 5 different dogs and it was so every time) thus it’s a danger.

A Deer/Bunny would be trying to get away from you. More often then not, outside of trail centres, when I’m on a bike, a Dog is more likely to be coming toward me either out of friendliness or aggressiveness, and that’s why I’m scared when I’m riding some terrain that challenges me.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

It’s a minority that spoil it for the majority, just the same as people that jump red lights on bikes, according to car drivers we all jump red lights yet its only a small majority that actually do. Same as dog owners that have dogs that play up, I have never been stopped by a cyclist who has said that my dog jumped infront of my wheel. Riders come up and tell me he’s a cool dog and how much training did he need, the guys at Bear Back Biking in Whistler have a Vizsla who goes riding with them and they’ve never had complaints about him. Most dogs that burst out of bushes or crap on the trails are being walked by owners, most riders dogs are too busy following their owners to lay in wait for the unsuspecting rider to come by and most riders dogs have a good dump (which gets picked up and disposed of properly) prior to the ride as they know a good run is coming.
    Stop riders taking their dogs out with them is the start, next it will be the young or inexperienced who people will moan about then it will be “your bike isn’t good enough to ride this trail”, where does it stop. Horses on trails there’s another topic. Stop moaning and go ride your bike.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

I guess it’s a nomality thing to a certain extent. As I said above at the moment it’s a surprise .. 5 times in a day, but I’ve never had it much before.

I love romance of the idea of having a well trained doggy in tow myself (not got a doggy – wife dreams of one day having a black standard poodle though – how suitable are they as trail dogs 😉 )

The more it happens, the more I’ll get used to it, the less I’ll care!?

richc
    Free Member

I used to worry about it, but after reading all the footpath threads I realised that as long as I am happy then it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks are they are wrong, regardless……

Especially considering land ownership and access is a feudal throwback, which you don’t have to acknowledge if you don’t want to.

If you disagree with this, write a few posts and get things off your chest, but never doubt you are *wrong* in my eyes, and that’s all that matters.

🙂

DT78
    Free Member

I predict it won’t be long till there is a report of a serious injury to dog and probably rider due to an accident at a trail centre because of this.

Sadly it probably needs there to be an actual incident before people start seeing common sense and maybe those that manage the trails make it explicit that dedicated bike trails are for bikes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sell the mountain bike and get a road bike. Far too many **** ride mountain bikes these days, and it appears alot of them ride with their dogs aswell.

At least with a road bike, you only expect to encounter **** on your ride.

mickolas
    Free Member

richc – Member
    it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks are they are wrong, regardless……

Especially considering land ownership and access is a feudal throwback, which you don’t have to acknowledge if you don’t want to.

richc – I like your attitude :D; but then I am probably wrong :(.

skeetsgb
    Free Member

it is wrong, but i would love to no, how these people pick up the dog shit when there thrashing it downhill and there dog is crapping up the trail !!! 😉

justatheory
    Free Member

Can you get full face helmets and body armour for dogs?

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

OK, so I think the solution is for trail centres to introduce the following:

Clear rules on where you can and cannot take dogs – my suggestion would be green cycle trails and shared pathways only, not MTB trails.
    The ability to fine people who do not obey the rules and who take their dogs on trails where they are not permitted, as is the case if you take your dog into a children’s playground or other place where they are permitted for safety reasons.

Draconian? Maybe. But as a dog owner, I am responsible for the safety and wellbeing of my dog. He goes where I go, therefore I should be ensuring that the places I take him to are not a risk to his safety. I don’t let him off the lead near any traffic, for example, so why might I put him in danger of being mown down by a mountain bike? I put him on the lead near children or other dogs who are on the lead, partly out of courtesy, but partly because I know that in that situation I can’t guarantee his safety. A small child who is scared of dogs and has not been taught how to behave around them might react by lashing out and hurting him. If I see another dog on a lead in an area where dogs are allowed to roam free, I must assume that dog might be aggressive and therefore I need to be able to stop him going into a situation where he may get hurt.

A dog owner who is prepared to risk their dog’s safety just for their own convenience or to make a point about being able to go where they like with their dog is not a responsible owner IMO.

walleater

Oh look, another insane dog on a mountain bike trail. Just look at her running in five directions at ones, poo being sprayed everywhere while ripping sheep apart and pishing on Audi Avants:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc_RYs6W9gI[/video]

Also, the way Ashka acts at the start of a trail is a clear indicator as to whether she wants to go for a slow walk while sniffing daisies, or RUN! 😉

trb
    Free Member

See that’s completely irresponsible. Can’t that rider see the dog’s on a STRAVA run and he needs to get out of the way?

rusty90
    Free Member

Clear rules on where you can and cannot take dogs …
    The ability to fine people who do not obey the rules

A fine? If you’re going to police the trails, do it properly

DT78
    Free Member

Really odd I know, but the dogs I have nearly run over do not act like that on the trail. Its kind of like showing a video of Steve peat and saying every mountain biker rides like that.

I don’t doubt a percentage are super well trained but the majority are not and increase risk to the riders and the dogs themselves.

I kind of wish I wear a go pro so I could show vids of little random furry missiles I’ve come across

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Dogs at Trail Centres’ is closed to new replies.