• This topic has 64 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by stox.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Dogs are ace, aren’t they?
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

Getting pretty fed up of having my arm yanked out of its socket 🙄

get a bungee lead or lead extender.

Lola is 22kg and loves a flat out sprint if she gets to the end of the long lead you’re going face first into the mud.

Phil_H

@hardtaionly try absolute-dogs.com sexier than a squirrel challenge.
    Definitely helped for this lunatic collie who is adorable and occasionaly infuriating.

GolfChick
    Free Member

@hardtailonly I’d recommend a nice long 10m line with the end clipped on to yourself, better for your body to be yanked than your arm/socket, mine used to be clipped on to a bumbag. I’d also buy a copy of ‘total recall’ and give it a read as it’ll help you teach a new recall command as the last one has been broken and you need a new one.

stcolin
    Free Member

Well, we’ve had Murphy almost 2 years, since he was 8 weeks old. I wasn’t for getting a dog, but was over ruled. I struggled with him for about a year, but now after almost 2 he’s a great dog. Typical spaniel, no much recall, bags of energy, gets too muddy and rolls in the occasional turd, but he’s a great wee dog and very sweet and affectionate. Can definitely be a dick, and it has required quite a lifestyle adjustment.

He doesn’t often sit still long enough for a photo….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2o9ifUD]Murphy posing for a quick shot[/url] by colinsphotos26, on Flickr

joefm

Thought I’d share the lab love(the undefined black shape).

stox
    Free Member

They are ace. Cherish them. Give them all a hug. I had to say goodbye to my Lab this morning 😔

GolfChick
    Free Member

@stox sending good vibes, I’ve been there twice now, it’s not easy and never gets any easier.

bearGrease

Dogs are ace, aren’t they?

No, they’re not.

madhouse

Dogs are ace. We’re currently deciding on getting one, there’s so much to take into account it’s almost like deciding to have another kid.

Handily we’re not big on foreign holidays, all the family are ok with it and there’s a growing army of friends that wouldn’t mind it visiting for a weekend if need be. It’d be a big old change in the house but I’m definitely in the yes camp – even if I’m not allowed my favoured Border Collie (reckon it’ll be a Cocker Spaniel).

joefm

Sorry to hear that Stox.

TheFlyingOx

Sorry to hear that @stox. We’re only at the very beginning of the journey and I’m already dreading the day that comes.

Dickyboy

Our prenup agreement was that I must respond in the negative if she ever suggests getting a dog, I find it the easiest part of maintaining marital bliss.

davidr

I love our little Dachshund/Jack Russell cross but have had a really difficult couple of days as he’s hurt his back and we’re worried IVDD. Thankfully he seems to be getting better but it’s heartbreaking to keep him confined when all he wants to do is to run.

swavis

We’ve recently added to the family, meet Ruby the 14 week old Gordon Setter

She joins Bruar the 14 yo GWPxGSP

And yes dogs are ace, when they’re not being dicks 😁

Markie
    Free Member

We’re approaching a year in. Absent the wee stains on the carpet, it’s been ace!

View post on imgur.com

duncancallum

They are. Geoffs a part time **** but even then he’s funny!

P

Sandwich

Lola is 22kg and loves a flat out sprint if she gets to the end of the long lead you’re going face first into the mud.

Or dog somersaults if you’re ready with the consequent risks to their back and or neck. On the plus side that 30kg dog only did it the once and there was no injury

ben
    Free Member

Yup, dogs are indeed ace.

Here’s another Henry, enjoying the snow in Sweden.

Henry

beamers

Yep, they are ace.

After a very long lead time (see what I did there) Frankie joined us at the end of Nov last year:

He spends his mornings in this position recovering from his morning bound round the neighbourhood.

grahamt1980

We have max, a just over 1yr old lab/collie cross. He is awesome mostly but a massive dick at other times.
    Part of the annoyance is that he is massively intelligent (gun dog/sheepdog parents) but will deliberately ignore you when he wants and especially when there are other dogs around to play with.
    Recall is coming though thankfully

johnjn2000

Sometimes ace othertimes a PITA. I have to remind myself from time to time how much I will miss his company when he leaves us, he can be such a dick. But he is my shadow (which can also be annoying, and a trip hazzard) but then his evening and early morning cuddles mean the dickishness is forgotten until the next time.

Dog
    dog

CountZero

No. It’s probably cheaper to have kids, because of the vets bills. Then there’s the constant demands to be taken out for a walk in unspeakably foul weather, like it is here at the moment.

I grew up with dogs in the house, and the last one meant my mum taking it out for its walks in pissing rain, because my stepdad, who’s dog it actually was, worked nights. I made a solemn promise to myself that I would never have a dog.

It costs me enough just feeding the birds and the hedgehogs, at least they bugger off once they’ve stuffed their faces.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Then there’s the constant demands to be taken out for a walk in unspeakably foul weather, like it is here at the moment.

That’s one of the best bits. If it’s really really really bad Lola waits until you have got all her and your gear on and pops her head out, turns around and goes back to bed! But other than that a chance to don the real waterproofs and wellies… Ace fun.

malv173
    Free Member

Totally agree with ^^^. Just having a reason to go out when I otherwise wouldn’t has been a great part of dog ownership.

We rescued Jez 8ish years ago. Fostered Sal two years later. I cried at the end of the first week with Sal when my wife reminded me that she wouldn’t be staying with us as she was just on foster. Happily a few weeks later my wife realised how well the two of them got on, and we adopted her! And she’s a massive ****. Needy, loves nicking your seat 3 seconds after you leave it. Tells poor Jez off for trying to sit next to her, but will squeeze herself into little gaps next to him. Jez is more timid, but a beautiful lad. Loves a snuggle with people he trusts, which is not many.

But we have got to know so many people in our new area simply because Sal wants to say hello to everybody. Dogs are indeed ace OP.

And totally gutted for you both @myti and @stox.

Dogs

stox
    Free Member

Thank you @malv173. It’s taking some getting used to after having her with us for 11 years.
    My condolences to @myti too. Sorry, I’d not seen your post first time around. Hope you’re doing ok.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.