Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Dogs….. and the boundaries!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Get dog.
    Dog isn’t allowed on the sofa or upstairs
    Dog has a cheeky sit on the sofa, <arr bless him>
    Dog follows you upstairs, <dog is only investigating>
    Dog jumps on bed <he’s only playing>
    Dog is now crushing my legs whilst lying on bed after he only “came up to see us”
    Dog wins!

xora

Welcome to your new life as bottom of the pack.

Advisable that you change that ASAP 🙂

Houns

Ours was doing so well as soon as we brought him home as a pup, would take himself off to his crate at bedtime and slept all night long. However he caught kennel cough 2 months later and was in a bad way, we kept him in our bedroom, then on our bed so we could keep an eye on him.

This has been our life ever since

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I have a no dogs on beds policy that Mrs M thinks applies only when I’m in the house!

Hounds have to ask permission to get on the sofa and will be moved if the have spread all over it when I get up to get a drink, find telly remote etc.

Hounds also have to have permission to go through doorways and never before you.

Makes for a happier house as everybody knows the pecking order.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Houns are you sure that isn’t a bear?

Houns

Heh that is his nickname

northshoreniall

Our dog can no longer make it up the stairs and struggles jump on sofa due to his worsening arthritis:( We miss morning snuggles with him. Enjoy.

Sandwich

I’m with Ming, we decide when the dog has a cuddle on the sofa. He is never allowed upstairs. Even visiting dogs pick it up quickly.

anagallis_arvensis

Hounds have to ask permission to get on the sofa and will be moved if the have spread all over it when I get up to get a drink, find telly remote etc.
    Hounds also have to have permission to go through doorways and never before you.

My dog has to apply in writting at leastv5 working days in advance if it wants to go out for a shit

Onzadog
    Free Member

Ours asked to get up on the sofa, but only because he’s too old to jump up.

Same with the bed. He used to sleep on the landing but after a few serious operations, we had him on the bed to keep an eye on him. He’s been there ever since.

He is a total snuggle monkey though so never likes not being in contact with people if people are there.

amedias
    Free Member

We have a Chihuahua, that somehow can occupy an entire standard sized double bed, don’t ask me to explain the physics of it, I have no idea but it happens…

tonyg2003

Our Border and Patterdale pup are currently occupying +50% of the sofa and fast asleep. Missus has 40% and I appear to have 10%. It’s a dogs life!!

Although stair gate so we have an absolutely “no upstairs” policy.

jjojjas
    Free Member

need to be a bit tougher. My two labs never go on the bed or chairs. I’d never get any sleep with those two anywhere near the room.

Bregante

Letting your dog on the bed is one thing Houns but buying him a phone and letting him take his own selfies is pushing it a bit frankly.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Our dog is not allowed on furniture unless I’m out and never on the beds. I don’t see the point in dogs not allowed upstairs. They are a pack animal and I don’t see what is wrong with sleeping in the corner of the bedroom on a blanket. They would never be segregated in the wild in their pack!

drewd

Our dog is currently asleep on my lap on a chair. The wife is on the sofa. We let our dog on the furniture, and upstairs but not on the bed. She sleeps in our bedroom in her crate at night, we also have a stair gate so she only goes upstairs with us.

We’ve agreed on the rules so we both enforce them, and the dog seems happy enough too.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Ziva is pretty huge being a Rhodesian ridgeback. My last dog was allowed on the bed, sofa everything but it just became too much so this time it’s no sofa, no bed and permission to come upstairs. The few nights she sleeps in the bedroom cos of kids staying it drives me bonkers as she snores!

Davesport

Houns picture brought on a collective living room chortle 😀

mattbee

Our dog goes wherever he bloody well wants. Didn’t used to be that way but over 7 years he’s worked his way into the sofa and into the bedroom.
    He only gets into the bed if we aren’t in though. Takes up too much room otherwise, the bloody big lump.

siwhite
    Free Member

Our Border is allowed free reign – including on the bed and under the covers (but that doesn’t last long as he gets too hot).

We fostered a collie for a week once, and I tried the ‘no bed’ policy. He’d start resting his chin on the bed (ah, sweet!) and then chin and a front paw (oh, bless!) – he then had chin and two front paws, but soon a third paw appeared. It wasn’t long before the fourth paw made an appearance – amazingly though, his chin was still in the same place and he was clinging on for dear life with his claws. Seeing as he was making such an effort, it seemed churlish not to invite him up…

dantsw13

Dog (Working Cocker Spaniel) is only allowed downstairs, as he’d eat all the washing upstairs! He’s allowed on the sofa whenever he wants, but he normally likes his basket by the radiator, or the rug in front of the fire.

chewkw
    Free Member

Our dog rules are:

1. No food begging from strangers.
    2. No eating food from strangers.
    3. No watching people eat.
    4. No sitting on sofa or bed.
    5. No pissing or dumping at undesignated area.

Exceptional rules:

1. Our dogs can beg from my father for food – only my father.
    2. Our dogs can watch him eat or eat with him – only my father.
    3. Our dogs can sleep on his bed or sit beside him on sofa.
    4. Our dogs must guard my parents.

edit: we feed our dogs well but they do get over weight sometimes because they love my father and my father love them … they eat together … 😆

RobHilton
    Free Member

You humans need better training

iainc

Grew up in farms, love dogs. They lived in outhouse, got into kitchen for a treat. Now live in a modern detached house, me and Boss at work, kids would love a dog, but just not fair as we are out most of day. Can’t imagine a dog in the bed, maybe just me 🙂

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Ours is allowed to come onto the sofa.
    And gets to lounge on the bed when OH is working in the room (her office) but a throw goes on the bed first.

Did have a few times where the door wasnt totally closed, to end up being woken up by the dog sneaking onto the bed. Then trying to get under the covers.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

I may have encouraged this because I thought it was funny and OH was hungover as hell.
    Normal rules are sofas are OK unless an actual human being needs a seat. They sleep in the kitchen cause we have two and they some how take up the entire bed.

willard

LovBBQ, is that a Toller?

I’ve just checked in on my dog (working from home today) and can see that he’s curled up asleep on the sofa in the next room. he’s due for a walk soon and after that he’ll be staying in the kitchen until he’s dry.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Can’t imagine a dog in the bed…

It looks something like this…

piha
    Free Member

I don’t think dogs should be on the furniture but sometimes it just happens….

[/URL]]

Sundayjumper

Akita & a Rottie here. They’re not allowed upsatirs, but the Akita does sneak up during the night if he’s scared (thunder, fireworks) and we will let him sleep in our room for the night. Otherwise they both know to stay downstairs.

The Akita is too big for sofa and doesn’t like it. Rottie would very much like to sleep on the sofa but she’s not allowed and she knows it.

Both LOVE it if we put a blanket down on the lounge floor for them though. That’s their treat if we’re having a duvet day at the weekend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS re,ember getting rid of my bed and having a mattress on the floor so she could get on – though she slept on her own bed.

Never understood, non working aside, why you dont let your dog have free roam of the house if not the furnishings.

cubist
    Free Member

It seems not everyone in my house is sticking to the no dog on/in the bed rule

bruneep

aye! get that child out.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Dogs….. and the boundaries!’ is closed to new replies.