Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Doggists – weird toilet training issue, any ideas?
  • IHN

Last week we welcomed Pedro (the Mongrel Formally Known As Alfie) into House IHN. He is, it has to be said, chuffing brilliant. We are dead happy with him, he seems to be a happy, playful, but settled little chappy.

He’s two(ish) and we are having to toilet train him. It’s going well and he’ll now last overnight after a pre-bedtime wee, then from about 7am to his lunchtime walk, and then fine until his late afternoon/early evening walk. Thing is, he seems to have a habit of weeing inside exactly as we sit down to eat in an evening, regardless of how recently he’s been for one. It’s happened three or four times now, and we only got him last Wednesday.

It definitely seems to be a behavioural rather than a need type thing. Any ideas?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Is it the same spot?

If so, clean the area with biological washing powder solution to remove his scent.

theotherjonv

put him outside and get him to wee before you serve up to eat.

if you can give him a command (“Be quick!” for ours) that he can be rewarded for producing. Ours now even runs out into the garden even if she doesn’t need a wee on the command, for example if we’re about to go out we always send her out before we leave and if she doesn’t need to wee she runs out, does a lap of the garden and comes back in just to satisfy us.

wwaswas

Our puppy used to wee/poo as we sat down to tea when we first got him.

We talked to a trainer and she thought it was a stress behaviour.

We changed to feeding him at the same time we eat and it helped as did give him a toy to play with. Otherwise he just hung round the table and then when he couldn’t ‘join in’ he’d get stressed and exhibit the behaviour again.

We put those training pads down where he was going until his behaviour changed – made it less stressful for us having dinner!

IHN

Is it the same spot?

Nope

put him outside and get him to wee before you serve up to eat.

Did this yesterday (in fact he whined to go out), still did it again when we sat down to eat

if you can give him a command (“Be quick!” for ours) that he can be rewarded for producing.

We were trying this, probably need to be a bit more consistent with it.

Our puppy used to wee/poo as we sat down to tea when we first got him.
    We talked to a trainer and she thought it was a stress behaviour.
    We changed to feeding him at the same time we eat and it helped as did give him a toy to play with. Otherwise he just hung round the table and then when he couldn’t ‘join in’ he’d get stressed and exhibit the behaviour again.

Ah, that’s interesting. He eats after we do, maybe it is a stress thing (like he thinks we’ve forgotten to feed him). Interesting….

wwaswas

do put him out straight after he eats though (even if you haven’t finished) otherwise you’re just inviting an indoor poo!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

A handy toileting facility I know was closed due to doggists. Now one has to go free-range on the moor or else hold it for endless miles until next services. Selfish behaviours are the downfall of this country.

wwaswas

A handy toileting facility I know was closed due to doggists.

Cottagists, surely?

alexxx
    Free Member

Put the dog in his crate with no view of you eating, it could just be an exciting time with smells of food.

Dogs don’t like being dirty so will learn quick enough. If its a real problem make sure the crate isn’t too spacious so it cant get away from the mess it made.

Training a dog for a crate is one of the best things you can do for it. It’s not a punishment it’s a safe place. My spaniel has the run of the house now but I leave the crate door open and she chooses to sleep in there on occasion and its right next to a giant memory foam bean bag…

If he’s been quiet when you’ve eaten then reward with a treat and some affection, If he whines a lot I’d ignore him and obviously not punish him but don’t give him a treat.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Cottagists, surely?

It was more of a brick shack sort of affair. I’ll get me coat…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Doggists – weird toilet training issue, any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.