Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Dog walkers recomend me some wellies
  • robidoo
    Free Member

Having recently purchased a pup I am looking for some comfortable and warm wellies for the wet days out walking.
    What is out there?
    Would spend £60ish max.

Cheers

flatfish
    Free Member

Gumleaf
    About £69 iirc

Neoprene lined too

ski
    Free Member

nickf
    Free Member

Hunter wellies really are very good, but best to get the specific Hunter socks to go with them. Add a lot more insulation and make them a much better fit.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I just bought some Bekina wellies after my Hunter wellies split along the sole (won’t buy Hunter again).

These:

http://www.totallywellies.co.uk/ProductDescription.asp?Product=Bekina%20Steplite%20X%20Wellingtons

They are fantastic. Wore them all through the snow/ice in the last few weeks and they seem to warm my feet up if anything! Really light and warm and very comfortable cushioned sole.

Good value too.

Zaskar93
    Free Member

Get some nice warm neoprene ones from The Muck Boot Co. Should be in budget. I use them for farming as well as dog walking. Just watch out though as whilst most have some good tractor or ATV style treads on or two styles have got naff all grip.

DezB
    Free Member

£60 on wellies?! You are havin a larf!
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-wellington-boots-mens-180030
    or the luxury item
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-wellington-180017
    £60!

(They don’t last as long? Buy 5 pairs!)

MRanger156
    Free Member

Hunter Balmoral can be had for about £60 if you shop around. Bought my dad some for his birthday and I borrow them a lot! Very comfy, classy & manly look.

z1ppy

Going by the last boot thread on here I bought my g/f some Aigle boots to replace her 10 year old (now holey) Hunters, for when she messing around @ the stables.
    Tried some on in a shop, along with her “old make” (Hunters), and they fitted much better. So far (2months) she very happy, especially as they came in purple, though has commented they feel thinner than the old hunters (maybe just the model she got).
    Boot socks mean that there’s no difference in warmth

Other thread

DezB
    Free Member

You lot are flippin mad. Mad I say!

£18 !

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I used to wear Hunters but the last few years the quality has gone down the shitter; they are no longer handmade in Scotland, instead they are churned out in a Chinese slavefactory, see this reference.
    🙁 You’re basically paying £60 for rubbish now. And it is rubbish, I have had my last two pairs split within 9 months whereas they used to last for years and years.

I just wear Timberland boots for walking the dogs now, they last ages and are warm and waterproof.

robidoo
    Free Member

Ha Ha Dezb those campari ones are gross and I bet they are awfull to walk in too but the others don’t look to bad.
    Thanks for the links folks I guess I will have to find some and try them on as I am a UK9 in shoes but a UK10 in trainers.
    Havn’t worn wellies since I was about 10 years old.

project
    Free Member

Ones with your name and address on them,so when a fellow walker without a dog atacks you NOT for clearing up your dogs mess and taking it home, theyll know where to send the bill, and fine to. 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Ha Ha Dezb those campari ones are gross

They are WELLIES!

Since when do you need to pay a premium for things you just get muddy?
    Oh, er, hang on…

robidoo
    Free Member

Dezb think of the wellies like a comfortable singlespeed bike you can leave covered in crap all winter and will still be good to go the next time you use em.

DezB
    Free Member

Yep. I paid cheap money for both 🙂 (well, wellies were free)

willard

If image is not your thing, then just go for a £9 pair of dunlop wellies (or similar) and wear an extra pair of socks. After watching many pairs of boots get destroyed over the years by sunlight, water, spiders and puppies, buying cheap is the sensible option.

Failing that, Le Chameau leather wellies. Just keep them well away from puppies.

SiB
    Free Member

Robidoo, I’m assuming that you are a male and that you like hairs on the bottom half of your leg (can also apply to females!)??. One winter of walking twice a day 2 miles each walk with wellies on, comfortable hunters, soon got rid of the hairs on my calfs and shin!! They didnt feel like they were rubbing or stripping my leg hairs off and were comfortable but I was only in my 30s and still wanted leg hairs!! So i decided on a pair of walking boots (Millets always have good offers on) and a pair of gaiters and havent looked back. Much more comfortable…wellies are for mucking about it and working in and are perfectly good for short walks, walking boots are for walking.

prezet
    Free Member

Spend a tenner on a pair and stick a pair of long, skiiing socks on the inside. Walk the pup to the pub and spend your £45 savings on having a good night out.

£60 on wellies!

grim168
    Free Member

Bought some muck boots last autumn for dog walking. Mostly on fields and parkland including some paths. Think mine are derwents. Very comfy and quite grippy but the soles are wearing far to quickly for £55 a pair. As much as i like them I’m not sure I’d buy another pair.

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can spend much more than £60 on wellies !

I have Hunter but as above Aigle are good, if I needed another pair I’d go for Chameau (their cheapest boots are more than £60 though)

Not sure where you are living but we rarely have to wear wellies when walking the dog as we choose based on weather. Anywhere you have to wear wellies means the dog is going to be flithy and will need a wash down.

DezB
    Free Member

You can spend much more than £60 on wellies if you’re an idiot.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl

What’s wrong with walking boots? Proof them to waterproof or you can wear gaiters. Far more comfy.

ChrisA
    Free Member

Hunter neoprene balmorals for me

Dubarry boots for the other half. She uses them for horse riding too though so not just fashion!!

stratobiker
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    What’s wrong with walking boots? Proof them to waterproof or you can wear gaiters. Far more comfy.

That’s exactly what I was thinking.
    Wellies are crap for waliking in, and they’re cold…..and how do you run in them?

SB

robidoo
    Free Member

I have a pair of Brasher goretex walking boots, but was thinking wellies for just kicking off and leaving muddy.
    Don’t really want to do that with me boots, would have thought that for around £60 wellies would be warm and comfy.

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Without doubt the comfiest boots I’ve ever had! They’ll last years too.

http://www.lechameau.co.uk/index.php?p=productdetail&pid=96&gender=neutral&category=2&prodname=Chasseurnord

cinnamon_girl

OK, are we talking about a 10 minute walk here? As a former dog owner/walker, I found that wellies (Hunters) do not support your feet and they can slop around. You can get thermo insoles to keep your feet warm though.

Personally I would buy a cheap pair of walking boots, certainly for less than £60. They can definitely be ‘kicked off and left muddy’. 🙂

Inbred456
    Free Member

Muckboots are the dogs danglers, supreme comfort and great practicality. I had the esk ones that the Norwegian army used. Good enough for them good enough for me.

ChrisA
    Free Member

The normal hunters are cold, the neoprene lined are the nuts. In all weathers for 2 winters they have been great. I put some thin sorbothane insoles in mine too under the footbeds so they are really comfortable

JamieMc
    Free Member

Muckboots. the one and only. Like wearing a slipper!

DezB
    Free Member

Glad the wellie (welly?) debate is still running 🙂

I do normally wear walking boots (£30 TK Maxx) for walking the dog – can be hours out in the fields – but sometimes, when its really wet (and the fields I walk in are full of big puddles in tractor tracks etc), I’ll wear the Dunlop wellies my mum gave me. Of course they’re not as comfortable, but with a decent pair of socks, the only time I notice I’m wearing wellies is when I can step in calf deep puddles and slop through mud without worrying about it.
    But hey, some people obviously have money to waste to make themselves feel like the posh country gent, so spend as much as you want on the things.
    Still mad though.

redwoods
    Free Member

Another vote for McBoots (fries with that?)

I’ve got these uns although it pays to shop around as I think I got them a little cheaper than this.

They are super comfy and in the cold weather very much like wearing a pair of cosy all-weather slippers out. I wear them with orthotic insoles for a bit of extra support and find them pretty comparable with wearing my Karrimor walking boots to be honest. The Tay’s are a bit heavier and clompier than the Muckboots I had before I think that’s because the sole and heel are a bit chunkier and I’ve got used to them pretty quickly.

For what it’s worth they’ve had daily use for dog walks of about an hour at a time on muddy tracks up and down hills and they’ve been brilliant.

bentos
    Free Member

Gum leafs are the way forward. Neoprene lined and they have a clever heel section that grips and does not wear through. Hunters are overpriced these days and their neoprene wellies will wear at the heel if you cover a lot of miles in them.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Dog walkers recomend me some wellies’ is closed to new replies.