Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Dog owners – what’s the best way to react when a dog runs towards you
  • wwaswas

I know of several fenced off areas near me where dogs can roam.

We have those here – they’re called The South Downs.

anagallis_arvensis

I just ride along at 20mph while they struggle to keep up for long and are certainly not in a position to do anything other than just try and keep up.

A greyhound can do 40mph +. My lurcher would easily top 30mph. You wouldnt out run her. Mind you she only likes chasing deer, rabbits and foxes.

sarawak
    Free Member

I got chased by a dog – border collie type. A load of caravans were park at the top of the Wlna Scar road – as far as a car could get.

This dog was chasing me all over so I got off the bike. I said nothing but just pointed my finger at him and walked towards him. He went silent and cowered for 50 yards or so going backwards to his own caravan, then he ran in and under the table.

Owners said “He’s always doing that, we can’t stop him”. I stopped him and didn’t say a word or kicked him, but he’ll think twice next time.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

fossy

I slow and be ready to stop – you can usually tell by the owner what the dog will do. Most are great, but there are those owners who can’t control their dogs and let them off the leads. I’m more worried about running them over.

I’ve been herded by a collie, but he was a lovely dog – just had to stop as he kept running in front of me, then wanted a fuss.

kerley
    Free Member

A greyhound can do 40mph +. My lurcher would easily top 30mph.

For 20 miles without stopping and going along roads etc,.?  Of course I would outrun them.

As I said they are not able to do anything at 20mph other than keep up and after a short time they give up anyway.  I would say the furthest I have had one chase me is about a half a mile.

funkmasterp
    mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t know all the details, as I remember, a dog ran upto someone in a local park, said person gave dog a kick, it then ran off tried to cross a dual carriageway and failed.

Cue a load of people complaining on facebook about nasty man kicking dog. No one mentioned that if the dog was under control it would never have been kicked and hence would still be alive.

bedmaker

Small yappy ones should be stuffed in a camelbak and sold on Gumtree, you seen the price of those things?

I once got £350 for a cute Maltese I caught worrying my shoe.

weeksy

Shocked! I thought you’d all go nuts at me. I had some Terrier chase me the other day, we did the best part of a mile before it quit. I laughed and carried on.

I’m getting a little bit sick of of owners who<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> have no control over their dogs though.</span>

mlke
    Free Member

Has anyone read Richard’s ( Ballantyne) Bicycle book form the 1970s?

it contains all sorts of helpful advice around cycle touring, navigating, setting up brakes and gears and generally having a nice time on a bike. But it bizarrely and out of character with the gentle tone of the rest of the book, it had a gruesome section on how to kill dogs that offend cyclists. I’d love to read a copy again to make sure I’m remembering it correctly

anagallis_arvensis

As I said they are not able to do anything at 20mph other than keep up

I expect thats what the deer think. If a lurcher wanted to bite you at 20mph it very easily could.

For 20 miles without stopping and going along roads etc,.?  Of course I would outrun them.

So you could out run a dog that can cruise along at 35mph? Yeah right 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

I used to get frustrated at him for not responding to my calls and think it was down to poor handling etc but i have come to accept that he just cannot control the urge to chase/investigate.

ye ever think of putting a leash on it?

anagallis_arvensis

anagallis_arvensis

Saw 2 of these guarding a farmyard last night. They ran over barking, I stopped and gave them a quick tickle. Funny thing was they would only come close after their Jack Russel mate had made sure I wasnt dangerous!!

lovechoc
    Free Member

I seem to remember a very old Jasper Carrot sketch which went along the lines of

“Kick its balls!”

“No!!!!!, its footballs”

daern
    Free Member

I ride with a friend who has a certain affinity for dogs – or, to be precise, dogs hate him and want to eat his soul. He wears big leather boots and if an aggressive dog tries to bite him (which happens more often than you might think!) then he kicks them. Modestly, at first, but if they come back for a second go, they’re going to get punted into the next field.

Sorry, if you can’t control your dog, it’s gonna get a paddling!

(Incidentally, every time this has happened, the owner has always thanked him for being so patient and confirmed that they would have kicked the thing too!)

icyseanfitz
    Free Member

was out for a ride last week and came across a guy with 5 god damn terriers all off the leash, only one of them was a nasty little sob, i did my usual slow down and try to be as friendly as possible to show i wasnt a threat but he was having none of it, he must have really liked the taste of 510’s 😀 passed the guy again and this time i stopped to see if i could calm the dog/rat, nope wanted some more 510! if he had gotten my leg i would have kicked him tbh and then promptly kicked the owner up the arse too. Zero sense, if your dog is clearly attacking people then leash him ffs

mikeastley
    Free Member

Our dog used to chase people on bikes. In the end we had to take his bikes off him…

rene59
    Free Member

Kicking dogs is alright as long as it’s the kind of dog you could beat in a fight. Seems to be an increase in massive angry looking bear like dogs the past few years. OK I haven’t seen as many in the great outdoors as I have in more urban areas but there is no way I’m getting into a fight with one of them.

That’s why I always carry a sacrificial cat velcroed to the outside of my pack. If I every get one of those monster dogs running at me it can be easily detached and tossed for the dog to catch and play with whilst I **** off out of there.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Dog owners – what’s the best way to react when a dog runs towards you’ is closed to new replies.