Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Dog-friendly pub/hotel recommendation for winter break, SW/Wales area?
  • IHN

MrsIHN and I are going to have a weekend away in Jan/Feb rather than buying each other Christmas presents. We also need to take Nelson, our 16 year old arthritic little rescue mongrel.

Any recommendations for nice dog-friendly places in the South West or Wales, with good food (poncey or pub) and stuff to do in the day?

mrwhyte
    Free Member

http://blueballinn.com/

Countisbury, along the coast on Exmoor. Plenty of great walks such as Watersmeet (which you can walk to from there)

Food is good, along with the beer.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

A really nice pub/hotel with really top class old school grub and they love dogs.

Home

mattjng
    Free Member

The Felin Fach Griffin, just up the road from Brecon fits those criteria:

http://www.eatdrinksleep.ltd.uk/

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Budds Barns, near Titson (snigger, village sign is always vandalised) Bude. Some nice pubs and coastal walks and some forestry stuff a bit further in land. Dartmoor is only an hours drive as well.

IHN

Some good contenders so far, keep ’em coming…

thepublican
    Free Member

Bath? Lots to see and do, countryside nearby, thermal spa. The-Thief.co.uk

IHN

Bath’s a bit too close to home (Cirencester) really

Rockape63
    Free Member

The only thing I’d say is that the West Country can be a bit bleak and miserably with sod all going on in Winter. What you need is a nice cosy cottage for 2 and a dog with amazing walks nearby that you can fit in between the rain. So I’d suggest this place

Set back from one of the finest beaches in the world that will be almost all yours in winter (plus masses of other stunning walks) and with a pub 500 yds away.

street view with Barn on the right:

here

IHN

That does look pretty cool Rockape…

Rockape63
    Free Member

That does look pretty cool Rockape…

Well, we were one of the first people to stay in the larger cottage next door, many years back and have returned at least five more times over the years. We always went off season, and its amazing how few people are around….makes it very special. We had friends stay in the Barn once, when we were in the cottage and they loved it, as did another friend who went at another time.

Obviously the weather makes a big difference, but it tends to sweep in and then pass over, so you usually get some decent weather at some point in the day. Some of the walks in the area are wonderful.

thelawman

Penhelig Arms in Aberdovey is worth a try
    https://www.sabrain.com/pubs-and-hotels/north-wales/gwynedd/penhelig-arms-hotel/accommodation/
    All rooms dog friendly. It’s half a mile to the beach through the town, then easy walk about 4 miles to Tywyn, & get the train back which can drop you at the station 50 yards away at request stop. To be fair, 4 miles might be a bit much for an arthritic dog, I accept that. Dogs welcome in the bar for evening meals, but may need to stay in the room at breakfast time.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Was going to say Felin Fach Griffin. So +1 for excellent grub and they loved our dog.

Edit – 😀 +1 for the Blue Ball also.

Double edit! rockape’s recommendation is not bad at all. Have actually stayed there in recent years, watch the steep/narrow stairs though. Mrs MR had a nasty fall :-/

On reflection, in the winter I still prefer Exmoor than the Gower. But Rhossili certainly is a great beach if the wind is down.

The Brecons are also doable in a day from the Gower.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Dog-friendly pub/hotel recommendation for winter break, SW/Wales area?’ is closed to new replies.