Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Dog folks – advice please! (what dog)
  • dufusdip
    Free Member

Something with poodle cross (labradoddle etc) would help with the asthma.
    We went for weimaraner because of the short hair and supposedly didn’t shed much. That turned out to be bollox but hasn’t given any problem. Mine needs reasonable exercise which got me into mtb as I was getting more tired than he was on long walks.

Not a fan of staffies as come across too many aggressive ones whilst out walking. It will largely be the owner but the dogs were bred that way for a reason so some of it is inherent.

Grey hound could be a shout. Cocker spaniel would be good but bit more risk with the hair.

epicyclo

You need a proper sized dog.

My werewolfhound

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

what breed of dog is it then looks very well built for a wolfhound. looks great

epicyclo

She’s a cross. Great Dane and Wolfhound. About 60kg and extremely gentle.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

hexhamstu
    Free Member

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

That was my guess. I have a great dane and would say they are a perfect pet,but not a breed for inexperienced owners. love your werewolf hound

tinybits
    Free Member

I’ve got a 10month old Irish Terrier. Lovely dog and superb with the kids. Always, always alway want to play though, and can b a naughty bugger in the stealing food / chewing (cables mainly) department and still assumes that everyone wants to play which can be a bit of an issue. However, these are traits that she’ll grow out of and the stunning nature will still be there. Also fits a stw requirement. Only 200 born in the UK each year, niche dog!

funkrodent

Lots of good advice on here. Won’t stop me adding my two penn’orth though 😉
    Firstly, go down the rescue route, take their advice on what’ll be good with kids.
    Secondly, go for a cross breed, less tendency to expensive, and distressing hereditary issues in later life.
    Thirdly, if you want something to accompany you on long rides avoid greyhounds/lurchers. They are fantastic dogs but very fast twitch – they like to peg it around for 20mins then kip for 8 hours.
    Fourthly, Staffies are great dogs, excellent with kids. Often owned by **** because they look scary.
    My current is a lab/collie cross (Collador apparently) got from a rescue centre. She’s a lively, lovely dog. Food fixated so easy to train (though it means she thieves food when chance comes her way), very affectionate, good with kids. LOVES going biking and has pretty much worked out that getting in the way of the front wheel is a bad idea..
    Fifthly, whatever you get its for life. He/she will repay you with unquestioning friendship and loyalty. Enjoy

anagallis_arvensis

Thirdly, if you want something to accompany you on long rides avoid greyhounds/lurchers. They are fantastic dogs but very fast twitch – they like to peg it around for 20mins then kip for 8 hours.

Completely wrong, they like to kip for at least 12 hours at a time!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Dog folks – advice please! (what dog)’ is closed to new replies.