Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Dog, bus, cyclists. You couldn’t make this up
  • cinnamon_girl

“dog owner hopes this will be a warning to cyclists”

Read and weep, can the public get any more stupider?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-55996873

poah
    Free Member

slipped its collar

Idiot owners

kerley
    Free Member

Read and weep, can the public get any more stupider?

Do we need to mention Brexit…

cinnamon_girl

Do we need to mention Brexit…

Do Brexiteers complain about cyclists riding in the road?

thols2

a group of cyclists “came whizzing from nowhere”

I think Jasper Carrot has a routine based on that.

Bez

Hang on while I count all the media stories about pets being “hit by a motorist” and being used as “a warning to motorists”.

MoreCashThanDash

Given his owners run of bad luck, I think the dog was just trying to get a more secure future

ElShalimo

That reporting is a sloppy as the Basset hounds Dali-esque facial features

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

“dog owner hopes this will be a warning to bus drivers”

stevie750

Surely it’s “people who shouldn’t own dogs warning to other people who shouldn’t own dogs”

nickjb
    Free Member

That is pretty rubbish reporting. Its just a platform for the owners hate. I have even taken time out of my busy day to complain to the BBC.

ElShalimo

I agree, that article is very paw indeed

thepurist

Why not a warning to bus drivers too?

Anyway what tyre for Basset Hounds – Furious Fred?

ElShalimo

Schwalbe Thunder Burtie the Basset?

boxelder

I think the warning is about whizzing along silently and startling dogs, rather than running them over.

kelvin

BBC “journalism” is eating itself. What a sorry state of affairs. If we’d got to this place by accident rather than design, I’d be less depressed about it. Run it down… dumb it down… click bait it up… destaff it… merge the channels… close it down…. shut it up… it’s government policy.

Bez

That reporting is sloppy

That’s what you’re supposed to think.

DezB
    Free Member

How come a dog is “hit by cyclist” but a cyclist can only ever be “in a collision with” a car?

Mr Hull said it had been a “happy ending” for Mrs Dale
    The dirty Isle of Wight sods.

ElShalimo

Mr Hull said it had been a “happy ending” for Mrs Dale
    The dirty Isle of Wight sods.

Tea all over keyboard now… you bad man!

rickon
    Free Member

Also – those dogs are not legally secured. You have to have a guard at the least to stop the dogs being thrown into the driver in the event of a crash.

I would not like to have three massive basset hounds pummeled into my head at 60mph.

richmtb

dog owner hopes this will be a warning to cyclists

Yep there are idiots everywhere and some of them own Basset Hounds

franksinatra

How on earth has that story made it on the BBC news?

My dog chased a squirrel in the woods earlier. Should I be getting on the BBC special correspondent to publish a story as a warning to all squirrels?

Bez

Interesting, wasn’t aware of this (not having any interest in dogs):

What happens if my dog has been run over by a car?

In the UK, dog owners are held responsible if their pet is run over by a car.

The owner is also responsible for any veterinary costs and, potentially, for the cost of repairs to the vehicle involved.

(Source)

DezB
    Free Member

In the UK

Ah, but this was the Isle of Wight 😛

DezB
    Free Member

I suppose this story fits perfectly with the “BBC News” website’s decision to design the front page to look exactly like a bunch of clickbait links on a tabloid’s website.

matt_outandabout

How on earth has that story made it on the BBC news?

This is the highlight of the news year on the IOW I reckon.

@Bez
    – that is an interesting precedent for legal responsibility, pertinent to this case surely?

IdleJon

What happens if my dog has been run over by a car?

In the UK, dog owners are held responsible if their pet is run over by a car.

The owner is also responsible for any veterinary costs and, potentially, for the cost of repairs to the vehicle involved.

That’s pretty much the same as if I get knocked off by a loose dog on my way home tonight – unless the dog is under control it’s the dog owner’s fault. Few of the new lockdown dogwalkers seem to understand this.

richmtb

Who’s a naughty boy?

mattyfez

As a dog owner, and a cyclist, and a pedestrian, and a car driver…

The BBC has sunk to new fathoms.

They Should probaly call James Cameron to check out his exploration of the Mariana Trench.

Very low level reporting.

Bez

Nah, BBC have been reporting this sort of stuff in this way for years.

Ewan
    Free Member

I was bored so I’ve complained to the BBC.

Bez

You’ll probably just get a “cyclists in furious rage about lovely doe-eyed dog” article instead 😂

chakaping
    Free Member

Mr Hull said it had been a “happy ending” for Mrs Dale, whose house was badly damaged by a fire last year, before she suffered a heart attack.

There’s a tendency in recent years for local news stories to pile on the misery like this, usually in a pathetic attempt at mitigation when someone’s complaining that they (rightly) got a parking ticket.

BBC “journalism” is eating itself. What a sorry state of affairs. If we’d got to this place by accident rather than design, I’d be less depressed about it. Run it down… dumb it down… click bait it up… destaff it… merge the channels… close it down…. shut it up… it’s government policy.

The BBC still does great journalism.

It’s just having to fill the void left by the slow death of other local news outlets (because of the domination of the ad market by Facebook & Google).

And misguided shit like this is part and parcel of local news, unfortunately.

kelvin

Nah, BBC have been reporting this sort of stuff in this way for years.

In what way did I suggest this is a sudden event? If I did, I didn’t mean to. The most important events occurred years ago, when the BBC team doing most of the journalism for the /news pages of the website were held up as an example of just how good news on the internet could be. Newspaper owners got in a huff about it, and the team were shrunk and merged into irrelevance… the website is just another channel for the entertainment focused TV&Radio content now.

funkmasterp

Bloody cyclists and their quantum anomalies. Appearing out of nowhere isn’t on and they should pay some sort of portal tax.

mudeverywhere
    Free Member

Very badly written. Would have thought the warning is actually to careless dog owners. Seems to be a few too many dog owners around who ‘apparently’ have no idea how their dog will react to people on bikes.

endomick
    Free Member

I’m so confused by this, so cyclists startled the dog causing it to slip its collar, one of the cyclist ran it over and just carried on, so what did the owner do next, an injured basset hound can’t exactly speed off like a whippet. Makes no sense.

singletrackmind

Dog pwner sued by cyclist after causing a collision.
    Mrs Dale, a masseuse from the Isle of Wright is being sued by a local cyclist for causimg an accident.
    Her stupid dog legged it really slowly away from her whilst she was tieing some poo bags to a nearby conifer.
    ‘ one mimute he was there, then a few minutes later I noticed he had simply disappeared’
    Then a group of cyclist’s cycled past furiously, gesticulating. They were going so fast, like a bat out of hell, i didnt see or hear them coming till they were past me.

The cyclist, Barry from Freshwater has contracted covid whilst in hospital recovering from injuries, and is on a ventilator, so unable to comment.

The dog is fine, but has asked for privacy at this difficult time

Sandwich

Anyway what tyre for Basset Hounds – Furious Fred?

Chapeau.

It does take all sorts though.

Bez

In what way did I suggest this is a sudden event?

You didn’t, I was responding to the post immediately before mine 🙂 (which at the time ended at “the BBC has sunk to new fathoms”)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Dog, bus, cyclists. You couldn’t make this up’ is closed to new replies.