Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • dog bite.
  • dabble
    Free Member

Get it reported, some dogs off leads are a pain in the backside.

Two dogs off the lead charged at me yesterday as I was riding uphill, they were barking and carrying on so I got off my bike and put it between me and them. They kept circling round and charging/ barking. A couple of minutes later the owner appears round the corner and berates me for putting my bike between me and the dogs, she says they don’t like bikes 🙄 . I told her I didn’t like dogs that weren’t under control and suggested she keep them on the lead. Then as I continued on my merry way she shouts “Have a bit more respect for the woods we all use!” oh teh ironing!
    I carried on and forgot about it on the next bit of sweet singletrack 8) until now 👿

easygirl

If you give a statement and it goes to prosecution, the magistrates must make an order for the destruction of the dog, if it is an aggravated offence, which yours is.So if you don’t want to see the dog destroyed, think about giving a statement.
    Then again, if yiu don’t give a statement, the dog is free to bite again, and it may be a young child’s face it grips next time.

svalgis
    Free Member

Then again, if yiu don’t give a statement, the dog is free to bite again, and it may be a young child’s face it grips next time.

Well, that’s okay – maybe the dog just doesn’t like children. No worries.

oldnpastit

I’d be pretty upset if I and my dog got dragged through the courts, culminating in the dog being destroyed, which is what sounds like is going to happen here.

On the other hand I’d be upset if I was bitten by a dog. And my dog doesn’t bite people (anymore), she just barks like a mad thing (what do you expect from a springer).

chewkw
    Free Member

For a small dog just give it a gentle (slight force) kick to the head.

For a medium size dog do the same but with slightly more force but be very careful as they would use the mouth and teeth as defense. Use the heel of your shoes but try not to extend / stretch you leg too far out coz your calf would be exposed and a good chuck of it will be missing. i.e. the dog would “side way bite”. Also it be will rather difficult to balance on your bike with one leg stretch out. Keep your feet close and only stretch to about 100 degree.

For a large dog you need to use something strong (solid) to whack at its snout between the eyes and the tip of the nose. i.e. the bridge of the nose. In an emergency aim well and hit it with almighty force … you will see the dog drops in an instant and may even not get up anymore.

As a kid, I got chase by dogs in my village everyday. Yes, everyday. Normally 2 with one at each side. Sometime I would get chase by a the devil dog in my village – a cross mastiff and Rottweiler … I would hit with a 2.5 feet hard wood stick (hard wood from far east jungle), the dog would back off immediately. As I did not intend to cause harm to all the dogs, the cycle continues everyday until eventually all the dogs died of old age and I got my driving license. As for the dogs owners I know them all so no big deal … either they let me hit their dogs or I hit their children. 😆

easygirl

Svagalis
    If you had attended the scene of a dog bite like I did and saw the whole side of a young boys face literally hanging off,you wouldn’t be so flippant. :
    I could see inside his mouth because his cheek had been ripped off,

chewkw
    Free Member

easygirl – Member

Svagalis
    If you had attended the scene of a dog bite like I did and saw the whole side of a young boys face literally hanging off, I could see inside his mouth because his cheek had been ripped off, you wouldn’t be so flippant.

Bloody hell that’s scary … how did that happen? 😯

The worst I have seen in past was a direct full force mouth bite to the calf with deep punctured wound and blood coming out.

easygirl

Bull terrier broke its lead, ran through open door into front room of a house where a young child was playing on carpet, dog attacked child, ripping its check clean off.it had bitten another child about 4 months previous,only minor on the first occasion.
    Child’s mother didn’t report the dog on that occasion.
    This was before the dangerous dogs act

aracer
    Free Member

I’m wondering in what possible world that statement makes sense. Are you assuming the owner told the dog to bite?

Remember to save a bullet for highclimber 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

I’m wondering in what possible world that statement makes sense. Are you assuming the owner told the dog to bite?

I was trying to highlight the difference between an owner that cannot control their dog and a dog that is out of control i.e. a dog that is normally obedient but has been startled and is responding with instinct and a dog that is dangerously out of control. I suspect the OP has been an unfortunate victim of the former and nothing that needs more than a bit of advice given to the owner. I genuinely think the talk of executing a dog that has nipped someone is OTT – we’re not talking gaping wounds and faces being ripped off as easygirl seems to think this is.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

may be op was on a cheeky ride,and the owner thought that cyclists wernt allowed to ride on the footpaths

highclimber
    Free Member

I’d also like to highlight that the OP even said the dog was merely ‘poorly controlled’ and not ‘out of control’

adsh
    Free Member

If a dog attempts to bite you kick it as hard as you f#$*@*g can. I did this when my old dog was attacked and it works. I have also landed one on a snarling sheepdog while on my bike. They have teeth – I have size 10s, they use them I use them.

pnik

I did, and im sorry that some of the discussion has got so emotional. I dont want to go into too much detail here as it would be inappropriate now that I have reported it. Opinions inevitably are borne out of personal experience (or tabloid journalism) and one persons lively pet is anothers dangerous menace.
    It is my view that the high spirited animal should not be off the lead or possibly without a muzzle, im no expert and intend to hand it over to such people.

aracer
    Free Member

I have a hair here. Any chance you could split it for me? I’m really struggling to understand the distinction between a dog which the owner cannot control and a dog which is out of control – clearly it’s too subtle for me.

There seems to be this expectation from some dog owners that other people are required to modify their behaviour to accomodate the dog – that’s the attitude I’ve got from owners on all occasions I’ve been bitten. A dog bite is never acceptable or excusable – if you can’t control the dog when it’s not on a lead then it shouldn’t be off the lead.

wiggles
    Free Member

Am i allowed to bite cyclists if i am startled and it’s just my instincts? or does that that apply to only dogs?

Also, if you cannot control your dog it is not under control regardless of it is ‘normally’ obedient.

scotroutes

svalgis – Member – Quote

Well, that’s okay – maybe the dog just doesn’t like children. No worries.[/quote]What if it’s a child on a bike? Does that make it twice as likely to bite or do the two factors cancel each other out? I think it’s important to know this before I next go for a ride as I may need to investigate the price of large childs cycle clothing prior to my next trip.

cheez0
    Free Member

If a dog was ever to bite me id find the nearest heavy thing and beat the **** to death.

neninja
    Free Member

I was bitten in the face as a child by a ‘friendly family pet’. It turned out this lovely dog had bitten one of the owners children previously.

It wasn’t startled or frightened and relying on its instincts, it simply walked over and then launched itself at my face.

I have owned dogs myself since but am of the opinion that any dog that ever bites a human (without provocation) should be despatched. They’re just dogs.

Tiger6791

If a dog bites anybody for any reason it is out of control.

Not a difficult concept really

Sandwich

Are there circumstances when being bitten by a dog in a public open space is acceptable; any dog owners care to comment? because I can’t think of any….

If you were to approach a dog on a lead that was making a noise at you and attempt to reassure it and received a bite that would be down to you not the dog, but that’s about the only scenario where it may be acceptable.

It’s a shame the same hardline approach demonstrated here to wrongdoing is not present in the car threads too.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Is this actually a Daily Mail article in disguise?

tonyg2003

It’s fairly simple, if the owner has a dog that bites people (sounds like without provocation) then it should go out muzzled.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘dog bite.’ is closed to new replies.