Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • dog bite.
  • pnik

Was bitten by a poorly controlled dog this afternoon, nothing major, but broke the skin through my tights. Apparently he doesnt like cyclists, but was off the lead in the woods. In did nothing wrong, slowed down, polite greeting etc, the owner was trying unsuccessfully to control him, she did grab him and let me ride off, I was only angry afterwards though.

As you can hopefuly see not a serious injury, but as a parent of a child who is very scared of dogs, this sort of thing really makes it difficult to convince her that she shouldnt be. I probably wont mention it at home for that reason. Nonetheless should I do something?

project
    Free Member

Is the dog ok. 😯

bren2709

Tetanus might be a good idea.

easygirl

If you know who owns the dog, report to the police
    The dog will be destroyed if found to dangerously out of control in a public place, and caused injury.
    Seems harsh, but I had experience of this 15 years ago, bull terrier savaged a 3 year old, it had bitten before but the person didnt want to report it!
    Next time it bites could be a small child’s face it hooks onto

pnik

I dont know the people but my gopro was running at the time so although it wasnt pointing in the right direction the people and the dog should be identifiable.

highclimber
    Free Member

Judging by the OP’s account, the dog was not dangerously out of control. The dog was obviously feeling threatened by the OP’s presence and was reacting instinctively.

I, as a dog owner, would object to the suggestion of euthanasia for something that could be avoided by a little bit of training of the dog and owner.

It’s not like the owner just let their dog continue attacking the OP.

scaredypants

something that could be avoided by a little bit of training of the dog and owner

Fair point, but

Apparently he doesn’t like cyclists

How seriously do you imagine the owner is taking the idea of there even being a problem to address ?

pnik

I agree highclimber, maybe what happened is enough for the owner to keep the dog on a lead more of the time. But how do I know, I dont want a dog destroyed unnecessarily but better control is needed.

project
    Free Member

Apparently he doesn’t like cyclists

But then some cyclists dont like dogs , but then its rare for a cyclist to bite a dog.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Get to hospital. Dog bite that breaks the skin can be serious. Strangely not as serious in terms of infection as a human bite. But anyway, you’ll get a dose of antibiotics most likely and your jabs updated. Worry about legalities later. Go now.

Greybeard
    Free Member

It’s not like the owner just let their dog continue attacking the OP

So letting it bite the OP in first place is OK?

easygirl

The dog was dangerously out of control in a public place it then injured someone , so the offence becomes aggravated.
    The original poster said the owner was struggling to control the dog.

In this case the dog owner is guilty of having a dog dangerously out of control in a public place.
    I am a dog owner/ lover, but not a fan of dogs that bite people, I have seen first hand the catastrophic consequences of a dog that was off a lead an uncontrolled

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Muzzle.

jekkyl

Kick.

highclimber
    Free Member

So letting it bite the OP in first place is OK?

I don’t think the owner let their dog bite the OP – they didn’t set the dog on them, – and I certainly didn’t suggest that they should!

pnik

I have reported it now. I will get jabs too.

easygirl

High limber
    A dog owner should have their dog under control when in a public place
    This owner clearly didn’t, because it bit someone
    End of story

RustySpanner

highclimber – Member

Judging by the OP’s account, the dog was not dangerously out of control.

You know, I just KNEW it wouldn’t be the dog’s fault.

The dog was obviously feeling threatened by the OP’s presence and was reacting instinctively.

Oh, the poor thing. Can we get it some counselling?
    It bit him. It was out of control and dangerous.

I, as a dog owner, would object to the suggestion of euthanasia for something that could be avoided by a little bit of training of the dog and owner.

Bit late now, isn’t it?
    Owner should have had the dog under control.
    Perhaps they could get a hamster next time?

It’s not like the owner just let their dog continue attacking the OP.

No you’re right, it’s a win/win situation for everyone, isn’t it?

Greybeard
    Free Member

I don’t think the owner let their dog bite the OP

I accept the owner didn’t intend the dog to bite the OP, but did fail to prevent it doing so. That’s what ‘let’ means. The owner knew the dog ‘doesn’t like cyclists’ but had it in a place where there was a cyclist and wasn’t able to stop it biting the cyclist.

By the way, I don’t blame the dog.

highclimber
    Free Member

This owner clearly didn’t, because it bit someone

You weren’t there. Just because a dog bit someone doesn’t mean it was out of control. Dogs bite for a variety of reasons and if you weren’t there, you cannot say whether or not it was out of control. From what I read of the OP, the dog was minding it’s own business, the OP rode along and the dog felt threatened by their presence and instincts took over, the owner grabbed the dog but the OP was unfortunately bit before they could regain control of the dog.

The owner clearly needs to reassess their handling of their dog, The OP should report the incident regardless and he should probably get their wound looked at but I don’t believe that this dog was dangerously out of control – just one that doesn’t like cyclists. Maybe we should euthanise some HGV drivers with similar thoughts on cyclists!

RustySpanner

You weren’t there. Just because a dog bit someone doesn’t mean it was out of control.

Really?
    I don’t believe you.
    I think you’re wrong.
    And you weren’t there either. 😀

……….the owner grabbed the dog but the OP was unfortunately bit before they could regain control of the dog.

So it WAS out of control?
    Make your mind up.

Maybe we should euthanise some HGV drivers with similar thoughts on cyclists!

Strangely, dogs are NOT people.
    Something a lot of dog owners seem to forget.

highclimber
    Free Member

By the way, I don’t blame the dog.

me neither and I’m not defending the poor dog owners out there, my point is there’s not enough information in the OP to conclude the dog was ‘dangerously out of control’.

highclimber
    Free Member

So it WAS out of control?

yes, but was it dangerously out of control?

RustySpanner

Yes, it bit someone!

Seriously, I hope you’re trolling.
    If not, you’re the best example of ‘blinkered dog-owner syndrome’ I’ve seen for ages.

IanMunro
    Free Member

You weren’t there. Just because a dog bit someone doesn’t mean it was out of control. Dogs bite for a variety of reasons and if you weren’t there, you cannot say whether or not it was out of control.

Unless the owner had requested the dog to bite the person, it was out of control.
    It’s not complicated.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Dog objected to tights I suspect, especially in the current very mild weather! 😛

mjsmke

If the owner of the dog knew their dog does not like cyclists it should be their responsibility to keep their dog on a lead where they may meet a cyclist.

Owner should get a fine for not keeping good control of their dog in my opinion.

oldboy
    Free Member

In my ideal world, I would shoot the dog owner, then the dog!

Drac

But then some cyclists dont like dogs

Seems to plenty of cyclists on here who like dogs I certainly do.

You really should report the issue with the dog biting you, I suspect it’ll just mean they get told to put it on a lead in future they don’t automatically destroy the dog.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

highclimber – Member

Judging by the OP’s account, the dog was not dangerously out of control. The dog was obviously feeling threatened by the OP’s presence and was reacting instinctively.

as a cyclist I object to the suggestion that it’s socially acceptable for dogs to bite cyclists and I also object to the inference that the incident shouldn’t be reported due to the potential impact on the dog

pnik

Guys relax, you seem to be getting crosser than me! Ok tights is a bit nesh, but ive been poorly so I have.

I’m not going out for a cull, but I’d like to make sure the owner takes more responsibility in the future, assuming that they are traceable, the incident may well have shaken them and caused a rethink anyway.
    Let’s take a lead from Nelson Mandela and not think the worst of people.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Let’s take a lead from Nelson Mandela and not think the worst of people.

I would still report it and let the trained professionals “risk assess” the dog

oldboy
    Free Member

[/quote]
    Let’s take a lead from Nelson Mandela and ………

strangle the dog with it !

pnik

Thanks old boy I needed to laugh. As I said earlier I have reported it, and will be giving a full statement in the morning. I will also go to the gp and make sure tetanus etc are up to date.

pitduck
    Free Member

won`t somebody please think of the children

RustySpanner

Edited.

I can’t think of anything original either. 🙂

Sandwich

I have also been the victim of a dog bite while commuting. Circumstances matter when assessing the control or lack thereof.
    Eg did the dog bite when one attempted to reassure it or, did it charge and then bite?
    Mine was the second and I reported it as the young lady had no control and did not attempt to stop the dog. The OP also appears to be the victim of a similar attack. Though we don’t have all the information, it’s good the attack has been reported though.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Are there circumstances when being bitten by a dog in a public open space is acceptable; any dog owners care to comment? because I can’t think of any….

Tiger6791

pnik – Member
    Let’s take a lead from Nelson Mandela

She could probably get a lead from a pet shop much easier but hear what your saying about him not needing it anymore.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘dog bite.’ is closed to new replies.