• This topic has 383 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 384 total)
  • Dog attack/police response
  • piemonster

Ah – earlier I was told this was the correct thing to do as it would stop dog attacks. Read back on the thread. It was given as the correct thing to do

There might be a significant degree of personal perspective there as I’ve not seen it offered as a form of absolute protection and I’ve been reading the same thread.

piemonster

Would anybody like some toast?

aracer
    Free Member

Seriously a-a?

Coyote
    Free Member

Dogs have a different idea of playing to humans, they will often bite each other playing. If it was indeed a pitbull type that clamped on his arm he’d have been seriously injured had it meant it.
    Not sure how thid is hard to understand.

It should be on a ******* lead if it can’t be controlled! How hard is this to understand?

#edit: Can’t decide if a-a is a troll or delusional.

anagallis_arvensis

Seriously a-a?

Serious about what, a pittbull type latched on and he didnt lose an arm or have any serious injuries I think that its fair to assume that unless the guy got pittbull and chiua…chiwow.. small yappy type dog muddled that the dog wasnt actually trying to hurt him.

Doesnt make it right blah blah blah etc

anagallis_arvensis

It should be on a ******* lead if it can’t be controlled! How hard is this to understand?

**** obviously but that wasnt the point I was making nor is it anything I’ve said.

piemonster

Doesn’t matter that it was playing, what matters is that it was unwanted!

tjagain

I agree AA – full on pitbull bite would have been worse. Its still a dangerously out of control dog in the eyes of the law tho

funkmasterp

Oh god, here we go again.

IT WON’T SAVE YOU FROM A PROPER DOG ATTACK JUST AS A FIRM KNOWLEDGE OF HOW TO CROSS ROADS WON’T SAVE YOU IF SOMEONE LOSES CONTROL WHILE TEXTING, MOUNTS THE PAVEMENT AND KNOCKS YOU OVER.

I think your keyboard is broken. Could you also explain what a proper dog attack is, just so I can judge when to stand and fold my arms or when to scream like a small child and run away?

anagallis_arvensis

I agree AA – full on pitbull bite would have been worse. Its still a dangerously out of control dog in the eyes of the law tho

Thank god some people here can read!!
    As I said its a sad thing that it was “playing” because some stupid **** has no doubt taught it to play in that way, meaning what could have been a friendly happy dog now would be better off shot.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure what the point was of the point you were making – what did it add to the debate? Somebody more cynical than me might think you were just after outraged responses.

anagallis_arvensis

Could you also explain what a proper dog attack is

One where you get bitte, in which case you can do what you like you are most likely getting bitten. Hence why police dogs work as a concept.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m not quite sure what the point was of the point you were making

As above..cross posted

boblo
    Free Member

Well I’m outraged if that helps? 😉

tjagain

Piemonster

angeldust – Member

…………For ‘non dog people’ if you fear getting bitten, you are probably better off stopping than riding on (dogs love to chase). Won’t always work, but it wiil help in most cases. ………………

phunkmaster -……… I agree with the idea that stopping if a dog is chasing you is a good idea

theotherjonv – Member

………….

If an inquisitive but ‘well meaning’ dog runs up to you, and you follow the ‘recommended advice’ and ignore it (turn away and don’t look at it, tuck hands away, say ‘off!’ if it jumps at you) then there’s a fair chance the dog and / or owner will realise you aren’t interested and leave you alone or call it away or put it on a lead.

If the same dog with the same intention comes up to you and you push it away with feet or hands, or run away, or wave your arms and scream, then it might react differently (as may the owner if you kick the dog / shove a stick up its arse)

………… but in one situation above you have really done all you can to avoid something bad happening; in the other you haven’t. It doesn’t make it your fault, but the greyness is whether you could have acted differently to give yourself a better chance of a better outcome. Is that so hard for some to accept at the same time as saying that if the dog hadn’t run up in the first place it wouldn’t matter either way.

etc etc

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😯 and SQs outburst was such and obvious time to close the thread 😉 which side was he on by the way?

Still this should be fun to follow on the train!

aracer
    Free Member

Nothing which really explains your point.

If you want clarification of mine – what difference does it make whether or not it was “playing”?

aracer
    Free Member

the toasters’

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Did they win?

Jamie
    Free Member

The only thing this thread suggest to me is Darwin was right. Survival of the fittest. If you’re too slow to outrun, or too weak to beat it in a fight, a dog. Then just accept you’ve lost nature’s lottery and bow down to your new canine master.

anagallis_arvensis

It makes no difference but it does serve to highlight how stupid the owner is. **** me I couldnt be more clear if you fail to understand basic english thats not my fault.
    You carry on being outraged if you like.

funkmasterp

One where you get bitte, in which case you can do what you like you are most likely getting bitten. Hence why police dogs work as a concept.

So you won’t know it’s a proper dog attack until it’s too late? That makes all of the ‘how to handle a dog’ advice given over the last nine pages utterly useless.

I’m going to ensure I always travel with a tame toaster from now on.

theotherjonv

I think your keyboard is broken.

No, i used caps to reiterate a point made several times in the past.

Could you also explain what a proper dog attack is, just so I can judge when to stand and fold my arms or when to scream like a small child and run away?

That’s the trouble, and my point.

If it’s an inquisitive dog and you ignore it, chances are it, or the owner, or both will get the message and leave you alone.

If it’s an inquisitive dog and you kick out at it, or run away, or start pushing it down, it might take that as play or, threatening, or whatever and you might get a different response.

If it’s a dangerous dog set on attack ignore it and you’ll get attacked.

If it’s a dangerous dog set on attack run away, or kick out at it, and chances are you’ll still get attacked.

So – 4 scenarios, do you want a flowchart to explain why *I* think the ignore strategy is the appropriate one?

Look, I’m not trying to be controversial or anything – some dog owners are idiots and can’t control their dogs / shouldn’t be allowed to keep them. Just as some drivers can’t stick to speed limits or not be trusted not to text. But do we ban all cars because of it?

@tj – and as per above – I have NEVER said it would protect you from a full on dog attack. In fact I distinctly remember saying ’99 times out of 100 (made up stats, don’t flame me)’ – I’m saying in most cases it’ll suffice to stop an inquisitive dog from turning aggressive as a response to being hit / threatened, or turning the encounter into an unwanted and potentially frightening ‘game’ for the dog.

funkmasterp

No, i used caps to reiterate a point made several times in the past.

I’d have used bold type 😉

piemonster

TJ, none of that suggests the course of action offers absolute protection

aracer
    Free Member

I expect it would have helped if you’d explicitly said “it does serve to highlight how stupid the owner is” earlier if that was your point!

tjagain

Nope – but its given as best advice when from where I sit its truly stupid because it makes you more vulnerable

funkmasterp

Absolute protection!

piemonster

Looks like it conducts electricity so it’s a no from me.

Edit, disappointed. Thought that was like a shark suit

tjagain

Theotherjonv

but for the times it is a real attack it makes you more vulnerable and it teaches the dog its acceptable behaviour – whereas the boot and run approach teaches the dog chasing cyclists gets them hurt and makes you less vulnerable.

piemonster

whereas the boot and run approach teaches the dog chasing cyclists gets them hurt and makes you less vulnerable.

It’ll teach the dog fear and violence which doesn’t reduce the risk of the dog attacking and in all likelihood increase the risk.

aracer
    Free Member

boblo
    Free Member

I’m still outraged. Flow chart indeed. I expect a bloody Venn diagram at the very least. Harrruuumph.

theotherjonv

Nope – but its given as best advice when from where I sit its truly stupid because it makes you more vulnerable

But it doesn’t. It avoids a confrontation in ’99/100′ situations. Whereas kicking out at a dog may cause a response from dog or owner in (go on, you make up a number for that one 😉 ) – what say you? Half?

Let’s go another way. Can you find any ‘proper’ advice from any respected body that suggests running away / kicking out is the appropriate course of action. Is ‘everyone’ else wrong and you right (again)

funkmasterp

piemonster – Member
    Looks like it conducts electricity so it’s a no from me.

Is that in case of toaster attack or are there electrified dogs where you live?

boblo
    Free Member

Oooo just a thought.

Why are we speculating on how many times out of a hundred we might kick out to defend ourselves?

Shame there’s no ready made solution to keep us safe from marauding mutts. Something like a device to tie the dog to the owner.

Mebbies a bit like a lead…. 😉

funkmasterp

Tieing fog? Are you mad sir? Using a portable fog machine could be a winner though

Edit – damn your edit Boblo, now I just seem mental 😀

boblo
    Free Member

Keep up laddie, stealthy edit is your friend 🙂

Edit you don’t need my help 😉

theotherjonv

again, I am not defending bad owners, I’m suggesting ways to mitigate the effects of bad ownership.

Because no matter how many times you say they should all be on leads, they aren’t all on leads, won’t all be on leads, and in all likelihood will never all be on leads.

boblo
    Free Member

I sense a little frustration building… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 384 total)

The topic ‘Dog attack/police response’ is closed to new replies.