Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 245 total)
  • Dog Attack on Sheep :-( **Warning Not Pretty Pix **
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Whilst out riding today came across this….:-( I know the farmer and we spoke him, he’s getting a tad fed up with dog walkers not keeping there dogs on a lead. £450 for the sheep and £50 to dispose of. 🙁

The real pix are here so you can see what a dog can do to sheep 🙁 **Warning Not Pretty **

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yup, you were right ……not pretty.

CaptJon
    Free Member

That reminds me, i must get those chops out of the freezer.

trailmonkey

😯

13thfloormonk

My dad always warned us that if our dog ever attacked a sheep she would be put down.

Thankfully this never happened as the first time any of our dogs even got a sniff of wool he came down on them like a ton of bricks, I’m surprised the dogs didn’t end up with some sort of nervous disorder whenever they saw sheep after that!

takisawa2

A link maybe, but posting that is a bit out of order. Sorry.

porter_jamie

not pretty at all, poor thing. i hope the dog owner responsible mans up and compensates the farmer.

racefaceec90

man was thinking of an american werewolf in london when i saw those photos 😯 i quite agree that all dogd should be kept on leads when in a field of sheep.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks for sharing…
    not sure it’s the best photo for Jack Lopresti’s political campaign

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A link maybe, but posting that is a bit out of order. Sorry.

did you not read the warning?

Still, that’ll teach him to campaign for the Tories

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was OK until I reread it and saw : “she was still alive when found”

Initially I thought, “well at least it must have been quick with injuries like that”

Now I’m seriously pissed off.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

A link maybe, but posting that is a bit out of order.

How so? Post a thread – relevant to us as users of the countryside – with fair warning on the thread title. How is a link – one more button click – going to suddenly make it OK? Any one of us could happen upon a similar scene every time we get on our bikes or even at the side of the road. I suspect some of us are dog owners too who maybe weren’t aware of the danger of letting the four legged fellas run around off the lead. Well done redthunder for bringing a serious topic to the STW table.

Stoner
    Free Member

Still, that’ll teach him to campaign for the Tories

nice.

matt_outandabout

£450 for the sheep

Prices are up then.

Stoner
    Free Member

I was thinking that too but Im guessing she was pedigree stock not a lamb factory.

donsimon
    Free Member

In all fairness that’s not a dog off the lead worrying or nipping at the sheep, that’s quite a sustained attack. Who’s to say that wild animals or stray dogs weren’t responsible for it. That’s a lot of damage.

Seggons
    Free Member

can’t really comprehend how anyone would/could just walk away from this .. It could so easily be another dog or animal, even a person.
    shocking, really is.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Who’s to say that wild animals or stray dogs weren’t responsible for it

My first thought was those mysterious wild (big) cats you get reports of from time to time, I must admit

matt_outandabout

I was thinking that too but Im guessing she was pedigree stock not a lamb factory.

Round by us all sheep can wander the road, escape over the hill, be left stuck in bogs etc – but the moment one is run over or some such similar, they become worth 3x what they really are….

woffle
    Free Member

Not taking away from the grimness of ^^ – it’s an age old problem and still an issue, we know a couple of farmers / smallholders who have had similar problems.

However, £450 for the sheep? Really? I’d love to know why she was that much, and £50 to dispose of it? I’d be amazed if he’d not have shot it on sight rather than waiting for a vet to come out…

Oh, and as above, I really can’t believe someone would walk away from an animal in that condition. Ignoring the whole lead thing, if our dog disappeared and then returned on a walk with a muzzle covered in blood I’d be curious as to where it came from. Shouldn’t imagine it would have been quiet either.

Grim.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Now I’m seriously pissed off

At the owner, if there was one, I presume?

You a vegan then?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Who’s to say that wild animals or stray dogs weren’t responsible for it.

What wild animal in the UK would attack an adult sheep ? And strays dogs are fairly rare in UK rural areas – and even urban areas for that matter. Besides, that would suggest a very hungry animal, and yet the sheep wasn’t eaten.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ewes w lambs can hit £200. Maybe it’s a more valuable breed. I cant tell what with the face missing 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Round by us all sheep can wander the road, escape over the hill, be left stuck in bogs etc – but the moment one is run over or some such similar, they become worth 3x what they really are….

😆

Must have been quite a powerful dog to do that. Whats the link with the conservative party?

anagallis_arvensis

I’d be amazed if he’d not have shot it on sight rather than waiting for a vet to come out…

local hunt will usually do it for free.

househusband

Is the farmer allowed to shoot the owner too, if he sees their dog attaching his flock..?!

jam-bo

Rumour has it that on the firing ranges on dartmoor the farmers put all their scraggy old stock as the MOD pay top dollar for blown up sheep.

And it’s not about being on the lead, it’s about being under control. My collie won’t go near sheep unless I tell him too.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now I’m seriously pissed off

“At the owner, if there was one, I presume?

You a vegan then?”

At the fact that an animal experienced prolonged serious suffering.

I’m surprised that I need to explain.

And even more surprised at the apparent suggestion that only “vegans” might be feel that way.

woffle
    Free Member

Is the farmer allowed to shoot the owner too, if he sees their dog attaching his flock..?!

You ought to see one of the local’s farmer’s dogs – some sort of mastiff / GS / collie cross. Absolutely bloody frightening, I swear you can see them think. I should imagine should he see anything up then it’d be away with them over the fields, wouldn’t fancy anybodies / anyone’s dog’s chances.

Must have been quite a powerful dog to do that.

If a dog is breed to bring down a deer, a sheep’s not going to be a problem…

matt_outandabout

What wild animal in the UK would attack an adult sheep ?

Wildcat round by us has a taste – the farmer and our staff find about 1 a month dismembered…

allthepies
    Free Member

Rode a bridleway which skirts a field yesterday and at the gate signs were up reminding dog walkers to keep dogs on a lead due to an attack on a sheep the previous week.

Quite a common occurence ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Genuine Q Ernie. Could have been other related reasons.

Animals suffer to make lots of food and products for us, seems a fair point to make.

cinnamon_girl

What breed of dog is actually capable of doing that? It’s shocking. 🙁

yunki
    Free Member

just looks like a bit of toothache to me.. dab a bit of clove oil on and she’ll be fine..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wildcat round by us has a taste

Really ? ……Felis silvestris ? Adult sheep ? 😕

Very surprising

woffle
    Free Member

Rode a bridleway which skirts a field yesterday and at the gate signs were up reminding dog walkers to keep dogs on a lead due to an attack on a sheep the previous week.

Pretty much every bridleway and footpath down our neck of the woods in Sussex has similar signs up. Recently it’s been shooting season and any dog owner wanting to ensure they have a dog at the end of the walk is going to have their dog on a lead anyway – keepers and farmers with pens to protect (not saying it’s right, mind)…

Stoner
    Free Member

pretty much any mid sized breed CG. Large Springer, Lab, Collie, Hound etc

woffle
    Free Member

What breed of dog is actually capable of doing that? It’s shocking.

Something like a bull cross lurcher or deerhound? Could be any number of breeds. It’s more the owners I’d be scared of – callous, stupid, irresponsible etc etc…

juan
    Free Member

Well am I the only one that worries it could have been a child?
    If a dog is able to do that to a sheep/ewe, what is going to stop it to do the same to a child?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could be any number of breeds. It’s more the owners IMO…

+1.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Dog Attack on Sheep :-( **Warning Not Pretty Pix **’ is closed to new replies.