Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Doethie Valley
  • thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Hi all,

once the weather picks up, I’m going to have a look at this part of Mid-Wales, most likely the classic route from MBR many years ago.

what is the course like? I had assumed a little quiet as not as well served for tourism as Snowdonia, or Afan etc?

Does it also need to be dry for a while before going?

Has the single track been hammered over the years (I saw that MBR gave it a big boost back in 2011) or still worth a look?

Cheers,

Simon

wallop

I reckon you’ll get a lot of different answers on this.

My experience was that it was a very scenic route, but blighted by water – even the roads at the top of the hill weren’t rideable due to major flooding! As a result it was very stop start.

Nothing like wild foals wandering past you when you’re eating your sarnies though.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve ridden it a few times now and don’t really get on with it. It’s all about the one singletrack descent that you have to ride miles of fireroad to get to it.

The actual descent is good. Provided it hasn’t rained in the last decade, bits of it haven’t fallen away, the bog in the middle is reasonably passable and you haven’t given up after the endless fireroad slog to get there!

Not a fan of the ride, as you may guess, but if you don’t like it you can always call in at Cwm Rhaeadr for some fun so that your day doesn’t feel wasted 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

It needs to be have been dry for weeks beforehand.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Thanks, this is interested. It would seem best then to build it into a broader road trip.

there seems to be some interesting riding in that part of Wales, plus Brechfa or Nant Yr Arian not too far away – could be nice to combine with some centre riding.

cheers – google image search of Doethie Valley did through up some great pics so I think I will do at some point – only 2.5 hours from Bristol so if the weather holds for a week or so????

mtbmatt
    Free Member

It is never dry and there are multiple stream crossings, so it is not a ride to do if you are not ready to get wet.
    In the summer the ferns can be a nightmare, so personally I think the best time is when its frozen, or just in the winter as you expect to get wet and muddy then anyway.

It is very, very quiet and absolutely stunning,
    It couldn’t be more different to a trail centre, so if you are expecting long, flowing singletrack you will be disapointed. Lots of start/start, lots of little mini technical bits.

There is a shorter version that skips the upper section and due to the major water damage on the fireroad that accesses the full doethie I would recommend the shorter version. You still get all the best bits of the singletrack IMO, but skip more of the unrideable bits.

Ambrose

Matt speaks the truth. I’d add that the ride up past Nantllwyd farm and then down into the valley is one of the best ‘reveals’ you might ever get.

whitestone
    Free Member

I liked it. We did it fairly late in the year so the bracken was high, I’d like to do it earlier in the year for things to be a bit clearer. We did the full track even though the bridleway between Saor Mynydd and Ty’n y Cornel was “shut” due to the erosion we just rode it anyway. I don’t think we saw anyone from leaving Llyn Brianne till getting back.

gowerboy

It’s a lovely ride. But…. not because there is a bit of good singletrack; rather its because there is a good bit of singletrack in a relatively remote, beautiful and quiet landscape. As such its not worth going to if you are only after quality technical singletrack.

The quality of the ride has decreased over the years. It is vulnerable to heavy use and has become more eroded and rutted. What was a narrow grassy ribbon when I first rode it back in the early 80s is now in places a bit of a muddy slot. Enjoy it if you go – but be gentle!

spw3

I’m sorry to pop anyone’s bubble but this trail is sheet. I went to this part of mid Wales specifically to do this trail, having read about it and spoke to someone who’d done it.

Got to love mountain biking in Wales but this trail is a waste of petrol. Really, really don’t do it, you will be disappointed.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’re doing it wrong……

spw3

You are correct, I didn’t do it in the middle of a six month drought.

Captain_Sponge

I really enjoyed this trail, late last summer, it is not an easy ride, it split our riding group 50/50 on whether they would ride it again. It is a lovely Valley and the riding is challenging at times with the rut and ferns but I’d do it again. That “reveal” mentioned above and the scenery were stunning.

faustus

Nice pics Rorschach. It’s typical mid-wales mtbing, so expect wetness any time of year, not much signage and a challenging trail that won’t necessarily flow when you want it to. You have to work for the rewards and it’s not all easy fun, with boggy bits and streams to cross. It’s not endless fire road to get there either, it’s fine with nice views.

It is very beautiful and tranquil though, and you rarely meet another soul on the entire ride. It not served at all for tourism really, which along with the other things, is why I love it so much. It’s been a few years so this is now on my riding list for this year!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Got to love mountain biking in Wales but this trail is a waste of petrol. Really, really don’t do it, you will be disappointed.

It splits opinion for sure, trail centre warriors who don’t appreciate mountain biking for the surroundings as well as the riding are best to skip it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Doethie Valley’ is closed to new replies.