Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Does your M985 XTR clutch mech do this?
  • robarnold
    Free Member

I noticed that I was getting more chain slap than in the past week so tightened up the tension screw but it didn’t seem to help.

Noticed after tonight’s ride that the cage on the mech will swing forward by about 2cm before there is tension from the clutch, this seems to be what is allowing the chain to flail about. I swear it didn’t do this before.

Any tips/ideas?

Geoffrey
    Free Member

I had to get a new XT rear mech and after about 2 month the clutch broke, the part with the tension screw, it looked like it had snapped, I sent it back and got a new one, if it not that old send it back.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

I also seem to be having a similar problem.

I have a Zee clutch mech which does this limited forward rotation before it feels like the clutch kicks in. It didn’t seem to do this to begin with. I’ve also tried to tightening the screw but it doesn’t seem to have helped.

robarnold
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd. Anybody else?

teasel
    Free Member

Any chance of some pics ?

I’m thinking, from your description, it might be the moving part inside the band has worn very slightly…possibly…

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Funny enough, mine is also doing this and can’t remember if it always has or if its broke. Interested in people’s thoughts.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Mine too couple cm’s before it tensions chain is noisy 😯

ScotlandTheScared

I have a fairly new M985 on my bike. There is no initial movement/play – the clutch seems to be engaged without excess movement. I checked that at both ends of the gearing just in case this changed at different extremes of tension on the mech.

robarnold
    Free Member

Cheers STS, that’s the sort of response I was fishing for to be honest, I was convinced there was no movement in mine when it was new but just needed it confirming. Found the original invoice earlier; it was bought in April 2012 so if I’m not wrong there is a two year warrantyon XTR stuff?!

I’ve emailed Madison anyway, awaiting a response from them

robarnold
    Free Member

Response from Madison says send it back through original purchase point so hopefully ill get a replacement soon…which I’ll be promptly selling!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Does your M985 XTR clutch mech do this?’ is closed to new replies.