Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)
  • Does your child's name give away his class?
  • IanW
    Free Member

Christian?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I presume that was shown on ITV? What else do you expect?

matt_outandabout

It is not the name, it’s how many you have..

I knew a Timothy Edward Helmer Thomas Ramsley Royal.

See, it’s not the name….

ononeorange

Well I’m not even watching it if it’s from ITV. None of your commercial channels thank you.

Edric – is your son really called Alaric? As in the sacking of Rome? Doffs cap in respect!

DezB
    Free Member

Can someone give me the time on that clip that Holly Willoughby “loses it” please. That’s all I want to see.

LoCo
    Free Member

Pwned within 30 seconds by Schofield, no wonder she didn’t win the Apprentice. 😆

Drac

Well I’m not even watching it if it’s from ITV. None of your commercial channels thank you.

Would Daddy and Mummy not approve of one not watching the BBC?

Edric64
    Free Member

Edric – is your son really called Alaric? As in the sacking of Rome? Doffs cap in respect!

Yes king of the Visigoths and sacker of Rome !

ononeorange

Awesome!

hora
    Free Member

My three sons all have ‘proper’ names – Joseph, George and Christian.

No offence but don’t you think to everyone else who names their childre what they do that they also think the sameway?

No one choses a name thinking ‘I don’t like him I’ll call him something hateful’.

They chose a name that means something to them, their Grandads name maybe? Or feels proper, something they’ve always liked.

Who are we to slag them off? Britney and Chardonnay aren’t ‘bad’ they are just linked to a stereo-type of people. I just dislike the norm for standard Christian names.

Names EVOLVE- go back a few decades and look at the names then- totally different. Simon, Kevin, Mark, Anthony etc are all 70’s childrens names. Before that – Cyrill, Arthur, Cynthia etc etc

Edric64
    Free Member

Thankyou !

martinhutch

The only criteria for me was to avoid names which could result in merciless playground piss-taking. Edmund, Aubrey, Jude etc. Even my name, Martin, is on the borderline as far as I’m concerned. Boys’ names in particular need to have a decent abbreviated version.

binners

Whether you like it or not, certain names you do associate with specific other phrases or situations. A name like Keanu, for instance, you associate with a sentences like:

“Keanu!!! Keanu!!!! ****ing get over ‘ere you little ****!!!!” as it echoes down the supermarket isle

*sits back and awaits comments about choice of supermarkets*

😀

freeagent
    Free Member

I have two Daughers –

Amelia Grace Righelato-Sutton (Millie)
    Charlotte Louisa Righelato-Sutton

I’m Sutton and my wife is Righelato.

We did put a bit of thought into it as you want your kids names to work for them whatever walk of life they end up in – ie – would you want to be represented in court by a barrister called Chardonnay?

They go to a nice School in Farnborough Village and fit in nicely.
    I wouldn’t let them play with that woman off the Apprentices” kids.

hora
    Free Member

The only criteria for me was to avoid names which could result in merciless playground piss-taking. Edmund, Aubrey, Jude etc. Even my name, Martin,

you could call a child Presilla Queen of the Desert but if hes growing/the type who would hit you – you wouldn’t dare even whisper it.

Children get picked on/named-called because they don’t react and nip it in the bud.

If you called your son Tyson-Fury and he was a slight child they’d just nickname him tiny-fury or simply fatty, ginger or 4-eyes..

binners my next door is going to be called Elvis or Jesus. I’m going to love shouting that out in the park when I lose him…

DrP

I’m in the process of changing my name to “captain-kick-ass-ninja-threeinchpunch-the-merciless”.

I feel it’s a clean reflection of my middle class aspirational personality.

DrCKANTTM

imnotverygood

The point is we all judge to a certain extent: I imagine most of us would guess that Reginald Aylmer Ranfurly Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax was a member of the British establishment

molgrips
    Free Member

Children get picked on/named-called because they don’t react and nip it in the bud.

Actually, that’s a bit of a dangerous attitude. Trying to use violence to combat teasing only works if you make yourself into a dangerous thug, and I certainly don’t want my kids to become that. I don’t want them to think life is all about dog-eat-dog.

The best way to combat name calling or being picked on is actually NOT to react at all. If you don’t look all hurt and wounded, there’s no point in them doing it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Whether you like it or not, certain names you do associate with specific other phrases or situations

True we may judge or guess about them but the crux of the issue is would you stop your kids playing with them or refuse legal representation from someone called Chardonnay?
    No because I am not stupid and your name does not indicate how good a lawyer you are or tell me very much about you

I may be wary of a Dr called captain-kick-ass-ninja-threeinchpunch-the-merciless
    I might do kumite* to see if he has earned his name

* sparring basically

hora
    Free Member

Actually, that’s a bit of a dangerous attitude. Trying to use violence to combat teasing only works if you make yourself into a dangerous thug, and I certainly don’t want my kids to become that. I don’t want them to think life is all about dog-eat-dog.

The best way to combat name calling or being picked on is actually NOT to react at all. If you don’t look all hurt and wounded, there’s no point in them doing it.

So if they are being shoved around, things rubbed in their faces, tripped up, bag/coat hidden etc etc – they’ll just come across as a scared victim who is an easy target.

Nice one. You nip it in the bud- only takes one reaction, they are then seen as ‘not worth the hassle/trouble’ by the damaged/background kids (there are loads out there).

Why would it turn your child into a thug? Confused. I firmly believe that children who turn into bullies/thugs are due to their upbringing at home/home environment.

I’ve been there/reacted and went back to being myself.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its a strange one IME bullies tend to have either poor morals , poor background or be massive. This idea that you can hit a bully and they will stop as I did it once and it never happened again is IMHO internet bravado BS. The reality is you got twatted as bullies dont pick on people they cannot beat up as they are not that stupid though they do tend to be quite good at fighting , large and frightening.

Father [ it is always fathers] advising their kids to MTFU is tragic.
    Most people who got bullied at school also hit out but they were crap at fighting

It is like advising someone in prison to hit the bully because that will make it stop.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No need to rise to Katie. She has made her “name”(sic) out of reality TV and courting controversy. If her “class” (for want of a better word) was in any way “real”, she would have avoided both. Instead she has created a media personality (an updated Hyacinth Bucket) which is almost a vulgar as those she “pretends” to despise. She is obviously good at ironing! Having said that the other lady, while obviously less nauseous, did not shy away from her own reverse snobbery.

She is a creation of our age with the gravitas and relevance that is wholly appropriate for daytime TV and Schofield and Willoughby. Comedy value at best, an irrelevance at worst!

[Actually she forgot to mention dog’s names – now THAT is a giveaway 😉 ]

DrP

I might do kumite* to see if he has earned his name

DrP quietly shreds the deed-poll forms and slowly backs away from confrontation….

DrP

molgrips
    Free Member

So if they are being shoved around, things rubbed in their faces, tripped up, bag/coat hidden etc etc – they’ll just come across as a scared victim who is an easy target.

That’s the hard part of my strategy. Don’t look scared, just do nothing.

You nip it in the bud- only takes one reaction, they are then seen as ‘not worth the hassle/trouble’ by the damaged/background kids

That does not work, categorically. I regularly used to punch out the kids who taunted me (I was always much larger and stronger), it never stopped them. Maybe if I’d thrashed them to within an inch of their lives it might’ve worked a bit better, but that would have probably done me more damage than them.

I’ve been there/reacted and went back to being myself.

And now here you are, advocating violence….

binners

Hora makes his point earlier

DezB
    Free Member

The reality is you got twatted as bullies don’t pick on people they cannot beat up as they are not that stupid though they do tend to be quite good at fighting , large and frightening

Happened at my school – remember it well – the bully (lets call him Alec, as that was his name) picked on a big, slow kid (let’s call him Darren). Darren fought him into the ground until the Alec’s brother came along and kicked Darren in the eye, ending the fight. Never picked on him again though.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway, I’m outa here if I don’t get to see Holly losing it.

maccruiskeen

Spade and patio…big hole needed for her hypocrisy

Her kids are called Spade and Patio?

hora
    Free Member

And now here you are, advocating violence….

? You are arguing for arguing sake. Why is standing up for yourself bad? Do you advocate ‘run, hide, keep quiet’ as a good way to deal with life for the kids for the future?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m advocating standing up for yourself.

I’m just not advocating using your fists to do it.

hora
    Free Member

Raise a petition?
    Bake him cakes?
    Invite the bully to anger management?
    Give him/her a pamphlet on abuse in the home?
    hug him to stop him punching you?

bigbadbob
    Free Member

I have just found out that my name is the new Coke flavour… How do they know what I taste like…

binners

I’m advocating standing up for yourself.

I’m just not advocating using your fists to do it.

Sometimes Molly, you’re really left with no option. Its a sad fact of life. But its a fact of life none the less

Junkyard
    Free Member

Why is standing up for yourself bad? Do you advocate ‘run, hide, keep quiet’ as a good way to deal with life for the kids for the future?

No one is saying this what they are saying is fighting may not be the best solution as the most likely outcome is you get battered. Would this approach work in prison?
    Most folk [ in reality] lack your[internet based] fighting prowess and ability to quell bullies with a single blow

DEZ – how many others fought back and just got a kicking? All the rest of the folk he bullied?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Raise a petition?
    Bake him cakes?
    Invite the bully to anger management?
    Give him/her a pamphlet on abuse in the home?
    hug him to stop him punching you?

If only the reality of you bore even a passing resemblance to the internet image of you

Now go kill them tiger and hold nothing back

hora
    Free Member

❓ Confused, how is that ‘hardman’ talk?

soobalias
    Free Member

Antur (m) and Morzine (f)

but we shorten Morzine to Moz

DezB
    Free Member

DEZ – how many others fought back and just got a kicking? All the rest of the folk he bullied?

Funnily enough – the only other actual fight I recall him getting into was after a rugby match. Apparently this boy (Chris) had done something during the game, Chris was walking past our minibus when we were waiting for the teacher, so Alec jumped out and had a go. Chris would’ve absolutely pummelled him if the teacher hadn’t returned… I think Alec decided everyone else had caught up and his bullying days were over.

Might not be relevant to your point, but fond memories all the same 🙂

[edit] it is relevant: Some bullies are stupid. Alec was!

molgrips
    Free Member

Sometimes Molly, you’re really left with no option.

Very rarely.

Bullies want two things. Either they want to dominate you, or they want a fight. Don’t give them the satisfaction of either.

If you can learn to do that, you’ll be far better off than if just resort to physical strength.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some bullies are stupid. Alec was!

They all are but all the bullies I ever encountered were hard and picked on kids who were weaker than them as they were not that stupid to pick on the really hard or massive kids.
    Suggesting your kid fights back is most likely to result in them getting battered.

I think we all agree you need to stand up to and deal with bullies but a physical confrontation with someone bigger and stronger than you is unlikely to end well [ whether a child or an adult] so other strategies should be employed to deal with it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Does your child's name give away his class?’ is closed to new replies.