Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Does your area have a bike type?
  • tomaso
    Free Member

All sorts in the Lakes. A good portion of Orange 5s but after that it is quite varied in my club. Last nights assault on Nan Bield had 10 riders and the machines were:
    Spesh Pitch 150mm
    Scott Octane +200mm/160mm
    Orange Five 130mm/150mm
    Pipedream h/t 140mm
    Trek EX8 120mm
    Cube fs something or other 150mm
    Mongoose Teolcali 150mm
    Orange Sub 5 130mm
    Turner 5 spot 140mm/150mm
    Rock Lobster B52 h/t 150mm

The most common feature appears to be chunky dual ply tyres or at least ones with extra tough sidewalls to cope with the rocks.

Kevevs
    Free Member

carrera.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Most people I know seem to have a Trek or a Cotic…or both…I have neither

warpcow
    Free Member

I just realised that I’ve never seen an Orange Five. In fact, I think the only Orange I’ve ever seen was a P7. That I owned.

There’s a definite split between types of riders here. Generally I think they could be described as ‘those who cycle for fun’ and ‘those who cycle for fitness’ (obviously those aren’t exclusive categories). The fun-types are almost exclusively 140-160mm FS bikes. Built mostly for reliability rather than light-weight. The fitness-types are mostly hardtails, skinny tyres (a lot of Conti RKs), 100mm forks. Scott and, to a lesser extent, Specialized are most common due to LBS stock.

There are only 3 29ers I know of within my local area.

mogrim

Treks, Specialized, Lapierre and Orbea round here. (Madrid)

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I’ve never seen an Orange Five either, except in a shop. No, Trax full sus pig iron specials are the ones that I see most, and the ones everyone on here see the most. They just don’t notice them.

warpcow
    Free Member

Actually, I’ve probably been selectively blind too. Dutch-style bikes are, without a doubt, the shiznit around here (I own 2 myself): dynamo lights, baskets, Nexus/Sturmey gears, back-pedal/drum/push-rod brakes. There are probably 50 of those for each MTB in town.

binners

I regularly go out on rides where 50%+ of the people are on Orange Fives. Specialized FSR’s are conspicuous round these parts too. Hardtail-wise: On-Ones, Cotics and P7’s

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve only seen an Orange 5 once, and that was at Woburn where it was really slowly rolled off a step down that should never be rolled! Looked very close to death, not sure how he managed to get away with it!

Scamper
    Free Member

Depends if its the weekend or not, at Cannock 😀

kiwijohn

Local shop here in South Hobart sells a LOT of Santa Cruz’s.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The lake district seems to have a wide variety, never noticed one brand of bike mroe than any other.

The last time I roade anywhere else was at glentress last year and there were lots of orange 5’s there.

ChrisL

I ride quite a lot at Glentress. So yes it does, and it’s fruity.

There’s quite a lot of Lapierres too, isn’t there? Plus a smattering of Commencal Meta 5s from the last craze can still be seen.

A few years ago every other bike at Glentress seemed to be a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR but they’re not so common anymore.

stewartc
    Free Member

Very eclectic mix here with with Pivot 5.7’s, Ibis Mojos and Orange 5’s being the current fad bike with the bling crowd and the hardtail guys being very partial to Kouta’s. In my usual riding group of 10-15 people not one has an identical bike, its a very mixed bag with Commencal and Titus currently leading the convert stakes.

boltonjon

In the Swinley area it seems to be heavily dominated by Yeti’s and Orange’s

This is most likely due to Mountain Trax, a really good LBS, being big dealers for both

I hasten to add that i’ve got neither!

rocketman
    Free Member

5s + Audis

blue Giant hire bikes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Back home, loadsa niche singlespeeds and general XC bikes (which themselves seem to have become quite niche?). Mainly because it’s fairly flat and fast singletrack rather than any big hills.

Up in Teesside it’s a mix of Specialized stumpjumpers (and occasional enduro) and SC Blur’s.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

I can’t help but think there is a bit of a confirmation bias at work here. Are these observations based on actual samples or what people happen to notice? Do they notice what they want to notice?

e.g. When I was in London recently I thought I saw more Boris bikes than anything else, but that was because I was riding one. However, an earlier poster didn’t include them in their list of London bike types.

crankinirish
    Free Member

Colorado – Yetis and Niners – Everywhere.

foofighter
    Free Member

Lots of Dialled bikes in the Surrey Hills – oh, and of course Ellsworths…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feQyJeJgIw8[/video]

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Does your area have a bike type?’ is closed to new replies.