Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Does XC helmet have to mean road helmet?
  • rOcKeTdOg

i need a new helmet for general XC riding, not racing. currently wear a Giro Hex which compared to my Sweet Protection bushwacker has XC coverage. all i can find to replace it (as S.P. is too hot other than for winter) seem to be road helmets and as an MTBer rather than a road bike rider i’d kind of like a peak and some more off road styling without it looking all enduro.

any ideas?

DezB
    Free Member

I saw the Louis Garneau Edge helmet on Evans yesterday for £22. Bought one when they were about £35 for commuting, it’s a nice helmet, for £22 a proper bargain.

I’d put a link but Evans is the slowest website (probly work connection, rather than them).

Finally connects and find they’ve gone up to 60 odd quid!

There is the Catlike Leaf…?

joebristol

I’ve gone one of these for easy / flat trail riding.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-mountain-biking-helmet-black-id_8328686.html

Bargain at £20 and meets the relevant safety standards. Runs fairly cool and has a nice dual on the back to tighten / loosen the fit.

Ive got an enduro style helmet (Giro Chronicle) and in comparison the Decathlon helmet is so much cooler to ride in. Also looks ok I think.

spacemonkey

I wore XC helmets on the road for years.  Didn’t give a monkey’s.  Last year I bought one of those On One XC jobbies (above) in a sale and it’s bloody good.  Also bought one of those LG Edge (again, as above) in a sale and that also is bang on.  Bargaintastic.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The On-One helmets seem to be a Fox Flux copy.  Currently £12,50! or branded as Carnac in different colours for £20.

Are the pads/straps/clips all up to scratch?  Stupid cheap

trail_rat
    Free Member

crazy isnt it – first thing i do with the peak on new helmets is remove it and throw it away.

It seems that helmet designers have cut costs by not including said land fill peak that does nothing other than style the helmet .

i for one applaud their waste less attitude !

dovebiker

Recently acquired a Smith Rover for MTB duties. Helmet manufacturers appear to have gone “full gnar” for MTB whereas I expect most MTB riders aren’t riding at a pace that warrants that degree of protection. I do wear a road helmet in summer for XC MTB because they’re better ventilated. The likes of Giro and Lazer do make XC versions of road helmets with added peak, but appear to not sell them in the UK.

TheBrick
    Free Member

crazy isnt it – first thing i do with the peak on new helmets is remove it and throw it away

Me too, only peak I have ever found effective while riding is a old school road cap under a helmet

fossy

Most of the Bell road helmets come with a peak.  I have a Sweep and Volt that I use for MTB now as they came with a peak.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Does XC helmet have to mean road helmet?’ is closed to new replies.