Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Does this sound sensible?
  • petrieboy

I’ve got a trusty Cannondale 900sx which has served me well for the past 8 or 9 years. A new s-works last year has meant this is in a state of early retirement so I’m thinking about re-building it into a commuter.

Plan is to build a set of 700c wheels and run a road tyre – is this likely to fit under the lefty? And will a lefty hub present a problem to the wheel builder? (will it fit a wheel building jig)

In terms of drivetrain I was thinking a roadie close ratio cassette with road biased chainrings – possibly something like an Ultegra triple chainset. Will my LX shifter pods pull the right amount of cable to shift roadie cogs?

Anything else to consider??

peteimpreza

You will need an adaptor for the wheel jig. I have one you can borrow if you are in the BS37 area.

MrNutt
    Free Member

it sounds like madness, why not eh?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    petrieboy

peteimpreza – thanks for the offer but i’m afraid i’m some distance from Bristol. are the adapters expensive?

nicko74

mmm…. good excuse to build your own wheel, no? Shouldn’t be too difficult, although I guess there might be some dish. £10 for Roger Musson’s book, DT Swiss spoke calculator jobby, bish bash bosh!

andym
    Free Member

It sounds like a lot of expense for very little gain. Much more cost effective to leave the wheels as they are and simply fit something like Conti Sport Contacts then simply swap out the chainrings for 48-36-26 (or get a new chainset if that is cheaper). Road cassette on the back if you want closer ratios.

JoB
    Free Member

as above, i’d simply put some 26″ slicks on and swap the cassette for a road one, no need to change the wheel size or put a roadie chainset on (possible clearance issues there anyway)

petrieboy

i’ve got specialized fatboys at the moment and aside from being a bit scary in the wet they roll nicely. problem is really down to the space between gears and the relatively low top end. might start with a change to road spec cassette and rings and see how that feels

petrieboy

ah, hadnt considered clearance on a road chainset.

peteimpreza

petrieboy – Member
    peteimpreza – thanks for the offer but i’m afraid i’m some distance from Bristol. are the adapters expensive?

Got mine off ebay. I’ll try and find the seller.

peteimpreza

Found this while looking for the hub adapter
    29″/700c conversion for Lefty

peteimpreza

Found it

Lefty truing spacers

A choice of colours as well.

petrieboy

peteimpreza – Member

Found this while looking for the hub adapter
    29″/700c conversion for Lefty

whic i guess answers the question of whether a 29er will fit under a lefty. looks like ill be sticking with 26″ rims then!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you should be able to get the travel adapter in the UK if its an offical cannondale part

lefty max need a simple plastic spacer

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I got the official Cannondale truing axle from a LBS. £11. I’d built the wheel, and they wanted to charge £20 just to true the bastard!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Does this sound sensible?’ is closed to new replies.