• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Does this look like someone has tried to break in?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just noticed a gap in my kitchen UPVC window frame. Not sure if it was there before. Also a very small mark on the window frame. The window is top hinged so if someone has tried surely they’d have tried from the bottom as can’t really see how the window could be opened at the top like that.

Or could it be that the window has just been opened too hard?

This is coming off the back of a burglary 2 months ago where the car and my bike got taken. Just collected replacement car on Saturday.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Looks like they took everything…… including your pictures

loddrik
    Free Member

Trying to work out how to post them…

Drac
    franksinatra

Its hard to see who may be in the frame when you can’t see the frame

martinhutch

Irate laptop owning picknicker has finally worked out where you live. Does your windowsill smell of piss?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’d say yes.

Looks like someone has made a half arsed attempt to prise it open.

Probably a Scouser.

This is coming off the back of a burglary 2 months ago where the car and my bike got taken.

I’d bet that was their first, unsuccesful attempt to gain entry before they found a better way in. It’ll have been like that for two months and you just didn’t notice

wrightyson
    Free Member

Open the window and see if the hardware which will be sliders on either side look sprained in anyway? With top hung after time if it’s used regularly they can become a bit baggy. How old are the windows?

loddrik
    Free Member

10 years or so

piha
    Free Member

I don’t think it looks like someone has tried (particularly hard) to force the window as the uPVC on the opening sash looks undamaged. A better photo or closer inspection might reveal more.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Is it one of those turn and tilt windows thats not been shut properly?

globalti
    Free Member

It’s remarkably easy to dent those UPVC profiles with a screwdriver.

stumpy01

Although not 100% sure, I’d expect any object used as a lever to try to pry that window open would leave more of a witness mark than that.
    The contact point left by a crowbar for example would probably leave an obvious mark in the frame.

Have a look at the hinge mechanism….our (vertical hinged) bedroom window recently had this baggy appearance at the hinge edge.
    If you look at the hinge itself, there will be a small metal edge feature that gets captured by a plastic tab in the corner of the hinge to pull it in tight against the seal as it gets close to being completely closed.
    On ours this was worn, so the hinge wasn’t being pulled in. New hinges sorted it.

wwaswas

Hinges on one of our upvc windows gummed up and then bent the next time it was opened – it now looks like that.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say have a look at the hinges.

Those UPVC hinges are a funny open/close hinge and even when the windows are closed the hinge doesn’t alway seat properly… and you have to go around the outside and push the hinge to get it to close.

Mine do it, it’s a PITA.

So before thinking “oh, shit” go check the hinges first.

loddrik
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’m beginning to think that it’s just got caught whilst being closed as there is no significant marking anywhere else on frame which there surely would be had someone attempted to prise it.

I think I’m probably being a little paranoid as a hangover from being burgled.

timba
    Free Member

Is there a screw in line with the “railway track” mark (top pic)? Looks more like clumsy fitting with a cordless drill
    Has the DG unit blown on the opener? Quite a bit of condensation (bottom pic), maybe

Harry_the_Spider

Mine did that. Scrape the crap out of the hinge and give it a blast of GT85.

ffej
    Free Member

I surprised nobody has noticed the lack of ip rating of the socket below the window…. the one right next to the outside tap. Looks like the cover has become detached?

J

tdog
    Free Member

Time to get the finger prints dusting kit out 🧐

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Does this look like someone has tried to break in?’ is closed to new replies.