Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Does this highlight everything wrong with "professional" wendyball?
  • mulv1976
    Free Member

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26402044

In any other job you’d be sacked and possibly locked up. In the surreal bubble of “professional” football he is given a fine (of what, a months salary?) and a slap on the wrist. And he’s supposed to be the manager FFS.

These guys are supposed to be role models but they just seem to be selfish, over privileged, drama queen ass hats who personify everything wrong with society nowadays.

Yes I am getting old and grumpy, but you don’t see this stuff with rugby players so what’s going on?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

“allegedly” slept with a players wife while he was at another club.

he did push wenger around so not all bad.

pete68
    Free Member

Punching and stamping happens every week in rugby. Add in eye gouging and spear tackles and I don’t see how rugby is any better. That’s not to excuse Pardews actions yesterday,he will deservedly get the book thrown at him.

binners

Can someone let me know who was on the committee that nominated football players, and now managers apparently, as ‘role models’?

I think you’ll find most kids can work out what constitutes a role model for themselves, without this patronising press twoddle. My daughter loves football, and is shaping up into a decent little centre back. Do you know who her ‘role model’ is? Paul Scholes. (She watches ‘the Class of 92 repeatedly) and Paul Scholes is the absolute living embodiment of talent, commitment, loyalty, modesty and professionalism (though not tackling, obviously)

Alan Pardew is a dick. But he isn’t a role model to anyone. My 9 year old can tell you that. So please stop regurgitating tabloid editorial style claptrap!

Alan par dew will face massive fines and probably be banned for the rest of the season. What would you like the FA to do? Have him publicly flogged?

mulv1976
    Free Member

Ok not role models as such but if you think the antics of the likes of Ferguson, Cantona, Suarez, Torres etc etc has no influence on kids, then you are deluded.

And Scholes (talented and loyal as he was), was one of the dirtiest footballers out there, and I hope your daughter doesn’t follow him in that respect!

Alan Pardew should be sacked IMO but money always becomes the deciding factor – it will cost the club money to find someone else so they won’t do it.

binners

Eh? Paul Scholes was one of the dirtiest players ever? Get a grip FFS!

Mind you… You do seem to be struggling with a sense of perspective through your spluttering outrage. Do you write editorials for the Sun? Some football players are idiots. Some are consummate professionals. Pretty much like every other job or profession, I suppose.

But your insistence that kids regard them as role models is ridiculous. My daughter has the same opinion of Suarez’s diving as I do. She thinks it’s laughable. This is because she’s in possession of a brain, and can reach her own conclusions. As can every other kid

Unless you want to have your approved ‘role model’ list handed out in all primary schools?

gogg
    Free Member

The manager should know better, otherwise they become David Brent….

MrSmith
    Free Member

the fans are just as bad. had to divert to another tube station on my way home last night.
    The intelligentsia from some grim northern outpost had drunk too much fizzy pop and got confused when trying to find their way home, so the police closed the roads and tube station to stop them hurting each other while they pooled their collective I.Q to solve their late night transport issues.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OTTheadline, but it does seem that wendyball does attract more than it’s fair share….

Not only does Pardew have plenty of “previous” but there is an interesting recent precedent at Newcastle (a self-appointed “big club”!!). When their U21 coach Willie Donachie hit one of his own players he lost his job. But the manager headbutts another team’s player and gets away with a fine. Hmmmmm……still what would you expect?

As for role models, my boys played rugby and football at school. At home, they would also play both. Funny that when the ball changed shape so did their behaviour in an utterly predictable manner. Instead of role models, perhaps we should say examples of how not to behave as sportsmen, unless the draw of financial rewards is too great!!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Wendyball – meh, the whole thing is FUBARed.

The only ray of sunshine I’ve seen recently was the interview with (I think this was his name) Gus Poyet just now on R5 – nice guy, sounded brighter and more articulate than other managers and English is his second language.

sc-xc

When I read the word wendyball, it tells me more about the erudite person sitting the other side of the keyboard than anything else.

binners

Yeah, premiership football is awful. That’s why a global audience of billions watch every game

It’s entertainment, as much as sport. More so, probably. Some people are idiots. Others are some of the most talented professionals you’ll find in any sport. Is everyone involved in professional cycling a ‘role model’. I’m sure a certain mr L Armstrong has been held up as one. Not least by himself

How about rugby? Swallowing blood capsules to feign injury springs to mind.

Like I said…. A sense of perspective might come in handy, as well as the thundering cliched disapproval

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Sense of humour bypass chap?
    Or are you a “serious” footy fan?
    😆

EDIT – that was for sc-xc but Binners was a bit quick.
    EDIT II – nice stealth edit there sc-xc, perhaps erudite may be a better word but not quite a direct replacement. 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BhGUpVCW84I[/video]
    Ha ha ha

sc-xc

Some stealth modding there. Bloody erudites 😀

No, not a serious fan (follow WBA, how can I be?). It’s the whole forced wackiness of the words ‘wendyball’ that annoys me. I imagine users of the word to wear novelty socks.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Like Egg Chasers perchance?
    (now that’s erudite)

sc-xc

It wasn’t me that edited it…it was a swiftly mod 🙂

Edit: I’m getting confused!
    Edit 2: egg chasers is just as daft….

johndoh
    Free Member

Read the article properly and it suggests he pushed his head towards the player’s head, not quite a full on Glasgow Kiss.

If that is the case, his punishment is quite severe really.

andymc06
    Free Member

As perspective has been mentioned I’ll just point out that Ashley Young is the most prolific diver in the Premier league. Funny how Mancs always feel the need to mention Suarez and diving. (Yes he is bad but he is second to Young in the diving stakes).

mulv1976
    Free Member

I only called it wendyball as that seems to be the done thing on here – no idea what it means?!

Mind you… You do seem to be struggling with a sense of perspective through your spluttering outrage. Do you write editorials for the Sun?

That’s a bit of a low blow. But at least you didn’t say The Mail 😉

But your insistence that kids regard them as role models is ridiculous. My daughter has the same opinion of Suarez’s diving as I do. She thinks it’s laughable. This is because she’s in possession of a brain, and can reach her own conclusions. As can every other kid

Actually it’s your insistence regarding the ‘role model’ comment. I corrected myself by saying that if you thought kids weren’t influenced by their antics, you are deluded. This might not be directly but certainly through the opinions of parents or other “die hard” fans.

What concerns me is that the behaviour is often brushed aside with a fine or a warning and forgotten about in a few months because they can score a few goals. “Yeah, that Suarez (for example) he’s a bit of a nutter but he’s such a talented footballer!” Well that’s ok then – chomp away!

I’m not really a football fan (as you might have guessed). I accept there are dicks in every job. It just seems to me that in the world of football, you can be a bigger dick and get away with it.

johndoh
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/WSLy2txNMMU[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

The intelligentsia from some grim northern outpost had drunk too much fizzy pop

Tottenham?

winston_dog
    Free Member

There are arseholes in every profession.

However, to be a professional sportsman you need to be particularly driven and generally have massive self belief. When you add in the money and the circus of the EPL, tends to produce massive egos and attitudes. This is going to distort reality just a bit.

Anyone who would suggest to their children that these people are “role models” needs to give their head a shake.

wrightyson
    Free Member

MODS
    Why does this post keep linking me to the William hill app?

Carbis

Scholes was well known for his inability to tackle that would result in late challenges from behind, he was the third most booked player in premier league history when he retired. This will be partially due to his length of career but also how dirty he was. More premier league yellow cards than Robbie Savage. Scholes is also on record stating that he deliberately went out to get players back. Great player, professional in that his red card count didn’t correlate with his yellow card count, like Savage, but not a role model. How about Didier Drogba, terrible on the pitch doing anything to win, ie professional in what he does, but has a foundation in his name looking to improve education and healthcare in Africa in which he has invested his own money.

Jamie
    Free Member

Why does this post keep linking me to the William hill app?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/admin-malicious-advert/page/7#post-5817309

yossarian
    Free Member

Name me one high profile sport that doesn’t have a wide variety of idiots, cheats, liars and gentlemen/women involved.

There isn’t one. In fact there isn’t a popular or important activity that takes place on this planet that doesn’t have a broad spread of people exhibiting all of traits of the human race.

Singling out football is lazy, naive and delusional. It just highlights a profound ignorance of sport and the human condition.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I said on the other thread if thats a headbutt I’ll have one. It’s not that bad, out of order but unless the other guy actually looks like he’s hurt it’s not much.
    This is a better fight
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFLeTm46CqQ[/video]
    for reference this is worth 9 months AP should get 1 week on that scale

passtherizla
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Yeah, premiership football is awful. That’s why a global audience of billions watch every game

I don’t get this…. The spice girls/Oasis/Take that/boy zone et al. Were all awful, but have held fan bases of millions for years… probably still do. Doesn’t make them any good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

please take Oasis out of that list. The premier league is a great product, good players and teams add in some of the best local rivalry around and it’s a good game. Compared to the pretentious drug infused farce that is cycling it’s not bad.

andymc06
    Free Member

Well said Mike. (Particularly the Oasis bit 🙂 )

MrSmith
    Free Member

Singling out football is lazy, naive and delusional. It just highlights a profound ignorance of sport and the human condition.

show me the F1, cycling, golf, tennis, lacrosse, squash, athletics fans and their hooliganism.
    lets face it football attracts violent ignorant ‘fans’ more than any other sport.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no just putting one back on the Cycling is SOOOOOOO much better that football BS that comes out of the 5kg of spuds on the shoulder types in here

cb

Pardew at least showed a bit of passion and commitment to his job, he was wrong quite clearly but at least had the decency to come clean and apologise straight away. He will get punished (already has been) severely but bleating on about role models and getting him sacked is just pathetic. It was a brush of heads for christ’s sake – he didn’t stab the guy.

I’m guessing any of the ‘dads’ on here moaning about how their children will be affected do a lot worse down the park every Sunday in the pub leagues. Then let their kids play Call of Duty at home…

The PL is entertainment and damn good entertainment most of the time.

konabunny
    Free Member

show me the F1, cycling, golf, tennis, lacrosse, squash, athletics fans and their hooliganism.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/world-champion-tony-martin-wins-stage-11-individual-time-trial-while-chris-froome-reinforces-lead/story-fnh34s7u-1226677279028
    No one goes along to watch any of those sports in anywhere near the numbers that people watch soccer.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Spectators
    12 million spectators
    65% men and 35% women
    55% under 50 years old, including 12% under 15 years old
    80% French spectators and 20% foreign spectators
    38 different nationalities
    6 hrs 45 minutes spent on the road-side on average, per stage, per spectator (6 hrs 20 minutes for flat stages, 9 hrs 22 minutes for mountain stages)
    95% of people come with family or friends

Tour de france 2013

13,148,465 (barclays premier leauge 2011 total attendance)

i would say that was ‘quite near’ and would be fairly confident in stating that football fans are more prone to violence than cycling fans.

alpin
    Free Member

i find it sad in many ways that football (aka Wendyball) recieves such a huge following considering the antics of the players both on and off the field…..

view woth sound off!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP5mLY16xTc[/video]

^^^that isn’t anything to be proud of or support, IMO. and kids do look up at footballers as idols/heros. if that is what they are looking up to and thinking “cool” then it doesn’t do much for their idea of fair play and justice. cheat and you’ll do well.

watch other sports and rarely will you see people arguing with the referee. look at rugby. how often do you see half the team run up to and shout at the ref for a decision he hass made?

rugby may be a thugs game, but football is played and followed by plebs. just look at wrightyson’s vidoe post of the Sky commentators… clear, well thought out prose flowing from their mouths. not.

Jamie
    Free Member

but football is played and followed by plebs

🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Does this highlight everything wrong with "professional" wendyball?’ is closed to new replies.