Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Does this happen round your area?
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Just had some guy round the door trying to sell us some new beds for “a very good price”.

It’s not the first time it’s happened here either.

Does anyone else get folk coming round the door selling obviously knocked off high value items? Or is it just because I live in the ghetto.

jam-bo

nope.

just the god squad now and again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i didnt think your area was too ghetto….

bet it comes to life at night 😀

found 2 parcels on my door step that had been there since friday when i got home sunday night after leaving yours.

but then again – who really wants a milner conversion plate for a very specific gear box or a next catalogue ?

glupton1976
    Free Member

trail_rat – We’re in amongst proper bandit country here. It’s the kind of place where you dont hear much, but you get to watch it on the news if you get what I mean.

ton

all the time, and power tools, and oriental blokes selling dvd’s, and irish blokes wanting to buy our van’s and young scrotes asking for scrap wire.

sign of the times eh?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Used to have a guy come round regularly selling ‘meat’ out of bin liners.

Turned out he was stealing sheep/pigs and slaughtering them in his bath !

crispo
    Free Member

No, never had anyone come round since we moved to our current house.

Probably have one every night this week now!

brakes
    Free Member

we’ve just got old Romany women rummaging through the bins looking for documents to use for identity theft.
    they’ve got a steely but vacant gaze that makes you pity and fear them at the same time. scary.

xcgb
    Free Member

Turned out he was stealing sheep/pigs and slaughtering them in his bath

😯

Gotta admire the enterprise!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Surely he slaughtered them somewhere else and butchered them in his bath? I can’t imagine a sheep willingly going upstairs to the bathroom, any I’ve invited upstairs have been very reluctant.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Well I suppose he butchered them in the bath.. local paper said he’s even installed hooks in the ceiling 😕

Lifer
    Free Member

I was walking along minding my own business a few years ago when a dirty battered transit screeched to a halt next to me, two blokes inside immediately start with the patter. Apparently they’d just delivered a home cinema system and ‘the depot’ had put two in by mistake and they could let me have it for a couple of hundred quid.

They insisted I had a look and it was so blantently nicked it wasn’t even funny; nothing boxed, wires everwhere (no plugs on some things but cleanly cut power leads), nothing matching – very sparse and basic ‘tool’ kit on display.

konabunny
    Free Member

coming round the door selling obviously knocked off high value items?

Are you sure it’s not just like the white van speaker scam i.e. the mark assumes the beds are knocked off and high value, but they’re really just crap quality products which aren’t stolen at all?

I have to admit that beds sound like an unlikely product tho…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I once had to remove a bloke of the busy roundabout at the bottom of the A331 outside the quarry as he was causing an obstruction by flagging cars down to sell leather jackets.

Honest to god.

Drac

No just the rather attractive mormon Ladies do there rounds now and then, sirens but luckily I have wax in my ears.

chewkw
    Free Member

Nothing like that happens here except some blokes chucking rocks through my windows, drunken blokes fighting amongst themselves outside my flat, chav kicking football breaking neighbour’s window, blokes breaking my window because he could with a wine bottle, people shouting at each others, someone pressed my door bells at 3am in the morning, low flying police helicopter hovering near the public park beside my flat … oh ya … occasionally god sent his followers to befriend me (blokes! bloody wind up that. Where are the female followers?).

CountZero

oh ya … occasionally god sent his followers to befriend me (blokes! bloody wind up that. Where are the female followers?).

Flirty fishing? Read about that, girls offering sex as a way of hooking you into their particular flavour of God-bothering. Sadly, it’s never happened to me. 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

During the school holidays, my dad asked me to wait in for a fitter to come and lay a new a new carpet.

Knock at the door. “I’m a carpet fitter and…”

Cue embarrassing misunderstanding and me getting him to naff off before the real chap came round!

Gorehound
    Free Member

Fortunately we live far enough out of the way for no bugger to bother us much.

molgrips
    Free Member

Who’d steal beds?

Doesn’t happen here, we just get people trying to flog us doors:

Door Salesman: Would you like a free quote for a new front door?
    Mrs Grips: No thanks.
    DS: It’s free…?
    MG: But we don’t want a new door.
    DS: You don’t get much for free these days you know.
    MG: Apart from quotes.

DS gives an expression that says “Touche”

rudebwoy
    Free Member

fortunately we live far enough out of the way for no bugger to bother us much.

works both ways that!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

I need some new mattresses for the kids, 6′ x 2′ 6″, as long as they’re new

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MG: Apart from quotes.

Quality answer!

That’s the sort of thing I think of 10 minutes later.

jota180
    Free Member

It used to be Tarmaccing drives, then facias and gutters followed by hedge and tree trimming
    The latest thing all the travelers seem to be selling are beds

Don’t know why it’s the latest thing but it seems to be

kayak23

Bloke on the West Derby Road in Liverpool wanted to sell me some Womens knickers…. I politely declined.

footflaps

We get the occasional 20 year olds flogging over priced kitchen wares eg dish cloths. I wouldn’t mind but they all get so annoyed and rude when I tell them I’m not interested.

cb

They had similar issues a few years back with our cousins from the Emerald Isle flogging upholstered furniture – all of it was death waiting to happen – no FR foams. I would steer well clear…

enfht
    Free Member

Yes at my old flat. Rugs. Lots of rugs.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Bloke on the West Derby Road in Liverpool wanted to sell me some Womens knickers…. I politely declined.

were they new or used ?

Cougar

I was walking along minding my own business a few years ago when a dirty battered transit screeched to a halt next to me, two blokes inside immediately start with the patter. Apparently they’d just delivered a home cinema system and ‘the depot’ had put two in by mistake and they could let me have it for a couple of hundred quid.

The common one there is to sell you a boxed system, then when you get it home you find you’ve bought a £200 boxed breeze block.

followed by hedge and tree trimming

I had both of those this week.

The hedge guy, I’d already planned to cut the hedge that day anyway; told him so and got the ‘sure you have, matey’ look.

The trees, I said “yes, I’d love to, but next month. Have you got a card?” He said he’d run out, told me six times he only lived up the road, and then said he’d post one through my door next week. So far, no card.

spchantler
    Free Member

we got the offer of a bed while we where at work, on a building site, anyone no what the scam is? i presumed they’d take a deposit and offer to deliver it, cos you couldn’t fit it in your car, but that doesn’t make sense if they’re going door to door…

glupton1976
    Free Member

I dont think it’s a scam. Definitely think it’s selling knocked off high value goods. Dont think anyone would be brave or foolish enough to try and scam someone round here. You never know who would pull a gun on them.

acidchunks

Last place I lived we put a sign on the door that pretty much said:

“We don’t want to buy your crap so don’t knock on our door. P155 off and don’t come back”

Think my housemate printed it off from MoneySavingExpert or somewhere similar

patriotpro
    Free Member
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Does this happen round your area?’ is closed to new replies.