Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Does this frame exist? 29" HT content.
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Because if it does, I can’t find one!

I’m looking for something more trail orientated. Not fussed on material.

The wish list is:
    29″
    Slack
    30.9 or 31.6 seat tube
    44 or Tapered HT
    142×12 back end

The back end isn’t a deal breaker, but the rest probably is. If I forgo that, there is the option of something like the Titus Fireline, but it’s £700, which is right up the top end of what I want to spend.

Something a little more affordable would be the Solaris, again minus the rear axle.

Anything else I have missed?

canefrog
    Free Member

Ally fireline when available next year?

tazzymtb

Chumba hx2, canfield, banshee paradox, have a look at the new stooge cycles uk build as well for slack as slack can be, all available 2nd hand well in budget

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Transition Trans Am? In between the Solaris and Titus pricewise.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ragley bigwig?

singular buzzard?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Niner ROS9?

Good luck finding a HX2, I’ve been keeping an eye out for a while now.

tazzymtb

My mate sold one the other day with 140 forks on it…good price too. They are out there..well worth finding as they are boss

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Not sure of the exact details but the new dartmoor primal 29 might work. Kingdom bikes had a prototype brigante 29er going round about this time last year that had most/all those criteria. http://www.kingdombike.com/TheKingdom/?p=1230

Clink
    ukbikerider
    Free Member

Niner ROS9 😀

chakaping
    Free Member

You wanna look at the trek stache.

Pretty much the bike you described.

Secondhand complete bikes are pretty reasonable, mine was 600-odd.

Been riding it tonight, brilliant bike.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Kona Honzo is a good shout. Meets all the criteria and some places are selling frame only too.

Andy

As said in another thread earlier today. Pinnacle Ramin from Evans Short chain stays 68 degree head angle. 44mm head tube. £200!

breadcrumb

chakaping +1. My mate has Stache, looks a very capable bike.

doof_doof
    Free Member

That Stooge looks interesting. Shame no 44mm HT, but I guess it’s intended to be used with the rigid fork.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. The Solaris looks like it’s winning so far as I can get a bit of a deal on one of those.

I like the sound of the Alu version of the Fireline. It seems a lot of the slacker HT’s are based around a longer fork, and as such weigh a shed load.

The Pinnacle was on for a winner – ideal numbers around a 100mm fork, then the seat tube diameter fail!

jameso

The Pinnacle was on for a winner – ideal numbers around a 100mm fork, then the seat tube diameter fail!

New/2014 bikes are 31.6 seat tube. No frame-onlys available yet tho, will have them on sale in spring.

z1ppy

I looked at the Pinnacle website, and the 2014 is neither slack (70/69.5) or the chainstay that short, a 120mm fork might help the angles but it’s lift the BB… Jameso you posted about 2015 model on the alloy fireline thread, are things to change?

MSP

Depends what you call slack, santa cruz highball would be 69 head angle with a 120 fork, but doesn’t have 142×12 back end which is a bit of a mistake by SC. However just 595 quid for the frame.

roverpig

Does the Solaris count as slack?

z1ppy

2Soul Quarterhorse meets all the requirments except price 😯

dragon
    Free Member

No, it’s almost exactly the same geometry as a Trek Superfly which is a full on XC bike.

Ignore the niche brands that have little experience of 29ers and get a Trek Stache or Niner ROS9.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Hard to tell, because the HA is measured when sagged with an 80mm fork as far as I can tell. So running it with a 100mm unsagged should take a couple of degrees off it?

I’ve got a cheap High Latitude that’s ~68.5 with a 100mm fork – trying to keep something around those numbers. At this rate, I might end up keeping it, there doesn’t seem to be much of what I want without spending loads of money.

Only issue is I can’t fit a decent dropper.

ahwiles
    Free Member

roverpig – Member

it’s slack enough.

try one, it’s ace.

a 69-or-so-degree head angle on a 29er, with a nice long top tube is plenty slack.

sensible length forks too, so you don’t need complicated/expensive compression damping to control the dive you get with longer forks.

not convinced?

still need a slacker head angle?

you really don’t, but you can fit an angle-set.

(you know how every complains about their soul/bfe being too steep? – oh, that’s right, no-one does, because they’re great. The solaris, and other 69-or-so 29ers are the same)

jecca
    Free Member

End of thread! It just so happens mine is for sale in Large and mint condition. 😳

jameso

the 2014 is neither slack (70/69.5) or the chainstay that short

69.5 sagged head angle with 100mm forks. Chainstays are 435mm (actual not ‘effective’) on the 2014 bikes, new FDs mean some sensible clearance still.
    So it’s slacker and shorter than many, but not as slack/short as some frame-only bikes. Suprisingly it’s a tad slacker than a Canfield YS if you check the numbers and how they’re measured, but the Pinnacle isn’t really a 140mm fork bike. The Pinnacle gives away a whole 5mm chainstay length, the 424mm of the Canfield is measured ‘effective’ not actual. The Pinnacle is 429mm if you measure it that way.

it’s lift the BB… Jameso you posted about 2015 model on the alloy fireline thread, are things to change?

BB is 12″/305mm with sag on a 100-120mm fork.
    2015 .. a year ahead of myself haha meant 2014, sorry. That’s the one online now. It’s not intended to be some full-on nutter-29er, just a trail bike that works. I like how it’s not too long, feels moveable and good with wider bars, the wheelbase is short enough for woodland singletrack and the front end is still solid stable on descents.

roverpig

Thanks for the feedback on the Solaris and I hope it hasn’t taken the thread too far off topic. The reason I ask is that I’m currently running an FF29 with a 120mm fork and I’ve also been toying with the idea of trying something slacker. I’ve looked at the Solaris a few times, but I can’t work out (from the geometry charts) whether it would actually feel any slacker and haven’t had the opportunity to try one yet.

z1ppy

Jameso, I was taking those figures from the Pinnacle website for the 2014 bike, the chainstays are noted as 439mm and the geo diagram shows the measurement as “actual”. If they are as you say, it’s a good looking/interesting bargain of a frame

jameso

2014 spec sheet upload error – will sort.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Does this frame exist? 29" HT content.’ is closed to new replies.