Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Does this fork crown damage cause a problem
  • mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Looking for some forks for my kid. Seen some with these marks: would these cause a problem?

View post on imgur.com

Thanks for the advice in advance!

danmac
    Free Member

Is it indented at all? Looks like someone got a bit heavy handed trying to install or remove a crown race

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

It’s exactly that some one got heavy handed removing it. Not sure what you mean by indented?

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

It’s definitely chipped of that’s what you mean

danmac
    Free Member

If they’ve hacked a good chunk off i would be inclined to leave them. Chances are it will be fine depending on how the bikes ridden, but if the worst was to happen…

molgrips
    Free Member

Run away. I wouldn’t be happy with my kid on that, or myself.

Poopscoop

Looks like hacksaw lines on the crown and they didn’t align the cut well either, hence the “chip” being sawn away. Yikes. I’d be outlined to look elsewhere.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Yeah, looks very much like they hacksawed the crown race to get it off and cut into the steerer and left those marks at the front and rear of the crown.

As others have said it could be absolutely fine but that gouge in the steerer looks kinda deep… I’d be worried.

What is it you are looking for forks-wise.?  Steerer? wheelsize etc.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Ok, ta, sounds like a miss then. I’m looking for a 27.5 inch light (so<2kg) air fork.

QR would be handy as I have some QR 26 wheels (although they are a bit heavier than I would like) to put on then now (and idea to change to 27.5 wheels as he grows) but if I have to try and get a 15*100/110 then that would be ok too.

And nothing too pricey. Seen newish Suntour Raidons or older Rockshox TK silver just in the price bracket but open to suggestions. He’s light (9yo, about 35kg) so I’m going to need to change our old etc I believe. But very happy for any suggestions as to what to look out for.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

FYI – less blurry pic here: damage

jonnyboi

Agree with the hacksaw scenario. Personally it looks superficial enough for me to chance it if the price is right. But the again I have loads of kids

PJay
    Free Member

It looks like a steel steerer so might hold up but I wouldn’t want to risk it. It’s going to be hidden out of sight so tricky to see if it’s worsening.

Perhaps stick a “Wanted” in the classifieds and see what turns up.

intheborders
    Free Member

Ok, ta, sounds like a miss then. I’m looking for a 27.5 inch light (so<2kg) air fork.

If it rusts it’s steel, avoid steel to get light forks.

matt_outandabout

It’s a no from me. Other forks will be available.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d not buy anything from someone with so little mechanical awareness or sympathy.

Tim
    Free Member

Even if it doesn’t, would you feel comfortable with it?

I’d avoid. Find something else.

mrbigglesworth
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, I’ll give it a miss. As posted in the classifieds now.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Does this fork crown damage cause a problem’ is closed to new replies.