Does this damage to carbon frame matter?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Does this damage to carbon frame matter?
  • redrook

Eyeing up a used bike and I see it has this chip. Does it matter? Never had a carbon frame before so know nothing about them.

chip

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

It’s under invisiwrap so might not be as bad as it initially looks. Might, being the operative word as the wrap is also obscuring the damage to a degree. To help the guys on here give you a better idea, any chance you have closer/better pics of the damage?

Opinions will also, to a degree, depend upon the price of the bike mate. To what extent the the potential “risk” is factored into the selling price.

Looking at that crank arm I’d want to see the underside of the bb,
    I’ve always had a rockguardz on my 5010 first one shattered with a right bang..

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Looks OK to me that.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Hah. You should see the state of my road bike.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

any chance you have closer/better pics of the damage?

Open the pic in a new window and you can zoom in – it’s quite hi-res. I still couldn’t say for sure though. Nothing that bad on my rather battered Rocky Mountain.

mjsmke

The thick black line looks a bit suspect to me.

globalti

If you can squeeze it and feel the fibre giving under the pressure, it’s not great. I would almost be inclined to use a holesaw to remove the damaged area leaving a nice clean round hole, which I would either fill with resin or plug with a blanking grommet. At least it’s in an area where you will see if a crack starts.

redrook

Thanks guys, it’s a Bronson and the seller is asking £1700, good price I thought. Unfortunately I only have this pic to go on. Might get in touch and see if they can send me a closeup. It’s quite far away from me so bit of a commitment to go see in person.
    From the sounds of it I might be better off leaving it be.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I think I’d pass on the bike tbh, there’ll be other Bronsons for sale

munrobiker

Looks like it’s just the invisframe, I’d not worry about it.

Onzadog

That section of Invisframe needs to come off. I believe they sell individual pieces.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Looks like how my invisiframe gets ‘scrunched’ in a Thule roof rack clamp.

damascus

Have they described it as a chip in the description?

It could just be a tear in the invisiframe and that’s dirt underneath

Premier Icon julians
    Subscriber

Yeah, that’s just damage to the invisiframe tape from a thule roof rack.

I’d be 99%certain that the frame is undamaged under that.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

It could just be a tear in the invisiframe and that’s dirt underneath

Exactly what it looks like to me.

redrook

I’ve asked the seller about it and given him several days to reply, but not heard anything. I’ll be staying away anyway now.

munrobiker

Why? If I were the seller I’d think you were just nitpicking about damage to a sticker. If it’s the bike you want at a good price I’d buy it.

taxi25

But if you were the seller you’d just message back “no worries it’s the invisiwrap” who wouldn’t?

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

If I was the seller, I would’ve mentioned what it was and whether it was something worth worrying about in my description.

mattyfez

I’ve got a spot like that where an invisi frame section is.. on my top tube (alloy frame) where careless positioning of d-lock (or someone’s yanked the bike when it’s been locked).

Invisi frame tends to do that when it’s clamped or banged a certain way, it kinda bunches up, then you get a bit of air and dirt under it.

As said above that section of protective tape needs to be pulled off really, the damaged tape is likely making it look worse than it is. It might just be a paint chip underneath.

Premier Icon devbrix
    Subscriber

My Nomad is covered in similar looking Invisiframe marks from crashes, rock strikes etc. Mind you I can see and feel my frame, I’d be wary of parting with hard-earned without seeing it.

damascus

Any seller that doesn’t come back to me gets binned off.

andylc

If I was selling that bike and it was only cosmetic damage to the Invisiframe I would have sorted it out first. As it is, it looks pretty suspect.

redrook

“Why? If I were the seller I’d think you were just nitpicking about damage to a sticker. If it’s the bike you want at a good price I’d buy it.”

Are you successful at selling anything ever? Because if that’s your response to what appears to be damage to goods you are selling and you don’t even reassure a prospective buyer that it’s not a problem, I very much doubt it.
    And what’s their comms going to be like if there’s an issue after purchase?
    No thanks mate, plenty of people selling bikes out there who are happy to talk about what they’re selling.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.