Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Does this chisel exist?
  • finbar
    Free Member

Not too complicated – all I want is a cranked bolster chisel I can use by hand.

My Google-fu must be weak (or I must be using the wrong name), because I can’t find one anywhere. Just plenty of SDS ones, like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/milwaukee-sds-plus-tile-and-plaster-removal-chisel/p54509

Help…?

Richie_B

A bolster chisel & a lump hammer?

finbar
    Free Member

I’ve got a bolster chisel and a lump hammer already, what I want is a cranked one – i.e. the bend in the shaft.

regenesis
    Free Member

Just bend the one you have then.

CheesybeanZ

I’m sure the BIL has one for removing tiles .

finbar
    Free Member

Just bend the one you have then.

If I had a blacksmith’s forge, I would…

CheesybeanZ – I’m sure I’ve seen them too, I just can’t find one to buy anywhere!

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks Tallpaul – that’s kind of what I’m after, but without the plastic sheath as I’ll be wailing on it with a lump hammer.

(sorry, clearly I’m the goldilocks of chisels… 😀 )

tjagain

the plastic sheath will come off if you want but its there to protect your hand while you are bashing it with a lump hammer

Bear
    Free Member

Buy the SDS one and you can still hit the end with a hammer…

redmex
    Free Member

Hid the end of the hardened sds chisel at your peril, i still have the shard stuck in my wrist bone from 30 years ago hammering a Kango chisel unbelievable pain for the size and no mess just a wee incision

finbar
    Free Member

Ha! I was considering buying an SDS bit and just using that, so I’ll consider myself warned redmex.

Teej, the Ansell tile removal tool Tallpaul linked to doesn’t quite look like the instrument of brute force and ignorance I’m hoping for…

mariner
    Free Member

Bear with me – Kango do a wide chisel with a long hex shaft.
    This would allow you or someone to do some blacksmithing and put a bend in it to your requirements.
    A bit pricey though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Teej, the Ansell tile removal tool Tallpaul linked to doesn’t quite look like the instrument of brute force and ignorance I’m hoping for…

If it’s brute force and ignorance  ceramic  tile removal you’re after then the best tool for the job is a flat bladed garden spade.

dogbone
    finbar
    Free Member

Perchy, dogbone, I reckon you’re onto something there, cheers! I will check if any of my spades are flat bladed and if not get one of those Roughneck Mutts ordered (who can resist a bit of marketing like that 😀 ? ).

tonyplym
    Free Member
    joshvegas
    Free Member

I just grabbed the top edge of the kitchen tiles and pulled them off in sheets.

He tiled himself he proudly told me when I viewed the flat.

finbar
    Free Member

Thanks tonyplym, that is what I had in mind. Lots of options now.

This is for concrete render, not tiles. Unfortunately it’s not coming off without a fight…

northernmatt

This may seem a silly question but why not just get an SDS drill and chisel? I did that after getting 1/4 way through stripping a wall of plaster with a lump hammer and bolster, it took the same amount of time to the remaining 3/4 with the SDS.

perchypanther
    Free Member

This is for concrete render,

SDS breaker and chisel.

Unless it’s all completely boss then you’ll be there for ever trying to get it off by hand.

philjunior
    Free Member

SDS breaker and chisel.

Unless it’s all completeley boss then you’ll be there for ever trying to get off by hand.

This is my thoughts exactly. Was going to point out you can just smash up tiles with a ball ended hammer then remove them in pieces, but I’m pretty sure this won’t work for concrete!

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for an sds for concrete render. And maybe a scutching chisel

diz

Finbar if your anywhere near south Lancs or Merseyside you are more than welcome to borrow an SDS drill and chisel.

finbar
    Free Member

I was going to see how far I can get without an SDS drill – I got a few square feet off the other day with just my little bolster chisel – but yes, an SDS drill will be necessary at some point. Thanks for the very kind offer Diz, but I’m in Sheffield.

While I have all you tool experts on one thread, what would you recommend in the world of SDS drills please?

perchypanther
    Free Member

While I have all you tool experts on one thread, what would you recommend in the world of SDS drills please?

Hiring.

Unless you’re going to use it regularly then you’ll get a better tool  for less cost.

sockpuppet

I didn’t know these were a thing:

Everyone needs a Mutt in their life.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-mutt-pro-steel-blade-with-d-handle-8-x-4/25947

Now I do I MUST have one. Plenty of trees and shrubs to grub out in my new garden, this will be just the thing

northernmatt

I got a cheap Bosch one from Screwfix for about £100, did the job for chiselling off plaster, not sure how it would fare with concrete render but I’ll be finding out over summer as the stuff on the house bridges the DPC. Didn’t hire as we were renovating so it came in handy for many other things.

kayak23

This Titan Sds drill is what I have.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb631sds-6-3kg-electric-sds-plus-drill-22-piece-accessory-kit-230-240v/4172G?tc=RT4&ds_kid=92700022888075453&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_rl=1249796&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&gclid=Cj0KCQiA9dDwBRC9ARIsABbedBOi8kOK8kinnbEnfI75xblrRpKk3hk0aTUF8pULBTenZ3ktyYFmzFsaAnmyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It’s an absolute beast of a tool. It really is massive and heavy but it could get through the Hoover dam. It comes with quite a few bits in the case for 80 notes. Don’t think it has a cranked chisel though.

finbar
    Free Member

6.3kg? Jesus – my arms would fall off after 15 minutes 😀

woffle
    Free Member

Both our builders had the titan SDS ^^, and they use them a fair amount and rate them highly. I borrowed one to lift some kitchen floor tiles and they’re heavy but do the job with grunt to spare – took me the same time to get two up by hand as it did to do the rest using the SDS.

EDIT – not sure whether they had that particular version – from memory there are two, one lighter than the other. I used the heavier of the two…

sharkbait
    Free Member

I got a Titan SDS drill a few months ago for some tiles and render.
    Special offer at Screwfix at about £60.
    It absolutely walked through the job, beast of a machine.

project
    Free Member
    kayak23

6.3kg? Jesus – my arms would fall off after 15 minutes 😀

You’re not wrong. It’s a weapon! 😁

samperry25
    Free Member

+1 for the Roughneck Mutt. We’ve got a whole army of them in work for separating things. They’re quite tough but one has been bent, not a **** clue how mind.

jamesoz

No household should be without An SDS Drill, So much better for drilling masonry than pissy little battery drills and far safer/less tedious than a bolster and hammer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive got that same drill, used it to put 150mm hole saw through concrete. Think we found its limit. Interestingly i thought the torque limiter would kick in but it just ground to a halt!

It does make light work of anything more normal though!

redmex
    Free Member

Such a blokey thread this is my tool is big etc, nobody has yet mentioned sds max. The basic sds shaft usually shears but get a German Wacker with Bosch sds max chisels that builds your forearms

thestabiliser
    Free Member

It’ll cost you 15-20quid to hire one

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Does this chisel exist?’ is closed to new replies.