Does “send offer” on eBay ever work?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Does “send offer” on eBay ever work?
  • Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Noticed this new feature for sellers recently, tried it a couple of times, to no interest.

You?

It had worked for me in the past but you have to put in a reasonable offer not some mad cheeky offer. Recently I sold a nice set of carbon handlebars on there, they cost me £400, the guy offered me £10.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

No. Not in my experience.

I’ve been trying to sell a midi interface for a guitar into a computer and I’ve had some wild offers, so just ignored them.

So that really sums it up, just ignore them.

toby

As above, yes, I’ve had some success with it (from both sides). However 90% of the time buyers think “25% of asking price is fair” and sellers think “I will only entertain 95% of the asking price”.

ETA: As a seller you can auto-reject offers you’re not interested in, which helps weed out the “£5, mate?” rubbish.

P-Jay

I think the problem is that eBay defaults Fixed price ads to allow offers without sellers really noticing.

Personally I’ve accepted offers of 90% or higher

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

Has worked for me (buying) but then I don’t take the piss.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I’ve bought and sold with offers, don’t take the piss if offering, and have auto reject if selling. Also if selling, don’t put ‘or best offer’ if you are only willing to accept 20p under asking price…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Hold on, I don’t mean making taking offers alongside a “buy it now” price. I almost always do that and it works well.

If the item you are selling has watchers you can now send them an offer lower than the BIN price.

That’s what I meant.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Yep, have used it when selling and bought my bass guitar by offering what I thought was quite low, but it was accepted.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

If the item you are selling has watchers you can now send them an offer lower than the BIN price.

That’s what I meant.

Nope, never used that. Ignore my post above.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Ah. Didn’t know that, I wouldn’t bother, gives potential buyers the impression that you are desperate to sell, if they were interested, they’d make you an offer…

toby

Ah, sorry, misunderstood.

I have actually sold through this, however only after a reasonably involved conversation with an interested buyer who after asking some clued up questions and made it clear he would collect something bulky asked “Would you accept £x?”. I then sent it through as an offer and he accepted.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Yep, worked quite well gor me selling loads of electronics and camera gear through work.

Bear in mind most watchers are just watching to see if it sells with no real intention of buying, why would you watch a buy it now listing?

It does help if your realistic with pricing. We were clearing space in the store room, freeing up cash for new gear and the old stuff didnt owe us anything so were happy to dispose of it at a lot less than it might have gone for if we’d wanted to wait months/years for someone to want that particular niche bit of kit

taxi25

It does work, bought and sold a few items using it. Once though a bike I wanted was £1800 or best offer. I would have paid the asking but put in a offer for £1650. That was rejected but you get 3 offers so I went £1700 then £1750, all were turned down. In the end I didn’t buy purly on principle, why say offers unless your prepared to accept even slightly less than the asking price ?

They charge you to list if you don’t add it

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

In my experience they do work, if I’m selling something for 60 and get offered 55 or 50 if not much other interest I’ll likely take it.

Had the same the other way too, often a few quick counter offers to meet in the middle and the deal is done.

Be careful though, I saw a pair of hiking boots the other day, new, but from a private seller and close to price you can get them for online. Offered half that expecting either a straight declined or a counter offer but got accepted straight away. Paid thinking “result!” but then thought it was odd so looked at their other items and it was all high end outdoor gear, perfume and aftershave. So likely nicked, maybe fake. Can’t prove anything though so I now have a dodgy pair of boots!

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

Ah, just read the follow up. Nah, not used that or been offered anything with it

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber

I received one tonight. I’d accept if it was for me, but I was just showing my son examples of decent winter boots for our upcoming trip to Poland.

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

Used it for the first time last month. Never knew about it, but eBay sent a message saying I’d a watcher and did I want to send them a buyers offer. Tried it and the buyer accepted my offer, nice and easy. Like most people, I overprice my buy it now, knowing I’ll get battered down. This new offer lets you tell a watcher what it is you’re actually after. I’d put the item at £35 plus postage, offered it at £30 including postage.

Premier Icon finishthat
    Subscriber

Yes and both ways , send reasonable offers and get reasonable response, the newer feature where the seller can send an offer to the watcher is also working for me, last item was 1/3 off the buy it now price – you just need to know the reasonable prices – which includes checking the completed items prices.

plus one

Nope sent lots of offers with decent discount over last few months and never got a single nibble 🙁

Bear in mind most watchers are just watching to see if it sells with no real intention of buying, why would you watch a buy it now listing?

Backup if an auction or another offer doesn’t go your way?

Premier Icon csb
    Subscriber

Worked on me recently. Seller sent me an offer that was 1/3 less than their BIN, but the going rate, and I accepted. Why they didn’t just list the BIN as that i don’t know.

muddyjames

I often watch items if I’m interested but think that they’re over priced and either there’s no offer feature or the seller isn’t willing to accept what I think is a reasonable offer.

If everyone else thinks it’s overpriced (I.e. doesn’t sell) then the seller might reduce the price. I’ll then see that as I’m watching the item.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

A lot of watchers aren’t neccesarily potential buyers. They might be potential sellers who are gauging the market for similar items they want to sell

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

They might be potential sellers who are gauging the market for similar items they want to sell

Do they not have a whateveritistrackworld to ask/advertise on?

Premier Icon zinger
    Subscriber

tried on a bike once, 3 offers no luck, then ebay had a 10% off thing and i ended up getting bike for less than my lowest offer

on another occasion I had offer accepted for a nearly new shock a got a fair discount

defo worth putting in an offer or two – nothing to lose by doing so

Premier Icon noone
    Subscriber

I’ve used it when selling but only ended up with silly offers.

a few particularly stupid offers were countered with a massively inflated price (Item for sale £200, offered £50; countered with £1k). The responses I got to those counters were enough to cement that the people weren’t chancers, they were morons.

kerley

why would you watch a buy it now listing?

I do it all the time. If I am deciding between a couple of different options I will have them both in my watch list until I decide which one I want.

As for the sending watchers an offer I don’t really see the point of that, I just reduce the price until it sells if it is not selling.

cb200

If you don’t ask .. (but don’t take the piss)

I’ve started making offers of modest reductions. Two rejections and a tenner off some used Haglöfs snowboarding trousers so far.

kerley

It is not about asking. This question is about the new feature on eBay where as a Seller you can send an offer to people who are watching your item.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

I’ve sent out loads of offers with the feature.. usually with a healthy 20% discount. Rarely works for me.

That’s what I meant.

As a buyer, several times –

I’ve watched things, then received an offer of price dropped by 10% or 20%, then bought it on the back of the offer.

However – I’ve not used it as a seller.

The existing scheme, as a seller, yes I have accepted offers made by buyers, if what I was listing had been up for a while without obvious interest.

yep it works for me, got a few trainers in the loft i sell now and again to raise funds from time to time, list them at £120-150, wait for the watchers then boom send an offer at £100, job done..

ps. £1 listing on ebay this weekend started today

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.