Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Does modern music suck
  • hols2
    Free Member

or do old people with money just keep listening to the same old shit music. I’m trying not think about how lame all these concerts must be with geriatric old geezers croaking out decades old songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours#Highest-grossing_tours_of_all_time

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cash rich baby boomers will pay stupid money to try and relive their youth, simples.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Old bands have mastered how to make money from the same material over and over again. In 30-40 years it will be some of the current bands doing it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the-muffin-man

Big artists draw biggest crowds shocker!

Modern music doesn’t suck – there’s some great stuff out there.

There are lots of people who still only listen to music of their youth though. They seem stuck in a period of time.

seosamh77
    Free Member

inoffensive blandness sells, doesn’t mean there’s no good music out there, just that you won’t generally find it in the the charts.

globalti
    Free Member

I’ve seen the Stones twice in two years and poor old Mick just can’t hit those high notes any longer although I’d love to know what he sprinkles on his cornflakes. All the other old crooners have the same problem with high notes, Elton John and Paul McCartney have to drop an octave and Roger Daltrey is just awful. The worst I’ve ever seen was Gordon Lightfoot, who had throat cancer a few years ago and just stands and gasps the songs while his excellent band supports him. I laughingly mentioned to another concert-goer that GL ought to retire and the bloke turned out to be one of the permanent entourage of fans who follow him all round the world and BS him that he still sounds great.

It doesn’t seem to matter how bad they sound, the fans just keep spending money on tickets. The Stones do make a great sound so the concerts are still enjoyable, I guess.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Music taste (along with a whole host of other opinions and characteristics) is firmly fixed by about age 20 in most people.

Drac

It’s all just noise.

robbo1234biking

I am sitting listening to Animal by Pearl Jam which is 24 years old. Hardly ever listen to modern music but maybe I am stuck in the past!

wordnumb
    Free Member

The see them before they croak premium. Next year pay to see the hologram.

DrJ

It’s not music, just shouting.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Currently listening to a band called teeff whom I came across by accident at ynot festival along with about 25 other folk. They are awesome live!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Modern music always sucks.

Look back 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50, or 60, or 70 years and music sucked then too.

For every Britpop anthem in the 90’s there were probably 10 forgettable girl/boy bands with an entire back catalogue.

For every Durran Durran there was a Bananarama

For every Bob Dylan there was a Starland Vocal Band

The good thing about being grown up and hating modern music is you can tell everyone you like the Killers and Muse early stuff more, despite probably not having listened to the album until five years after the kids were bored with it.

trailwagger
    Free Member

All music has sucked since about 1998. EOT.

kerley
    Free Member

Music taste (along with a whole host of other opinions and characteristics) is firmly fixed by about age 20 in most people.

Agree.  Major exception is political where people become selfish tory bastards as they get towards 50 forgetting what it was like when they were 20.

I like modern music, I am just don’t spend as much time looking for it as I did 35 years ago.  Listening to John Peel every Monday to Thursday through the 80s gave me a lot of bands to seek out.

MSP

As I have got older, I have less tolerance for listening to the shit music to get to the stuff I like. When I was in my teens, it was not really a problem to just have radio 1 on in the background and not really hear most of it until something caught my ear, these days the radio can go and **** off (especially radio 6, the beige trousers of music).

That and I do actually think that the music charts have aged down, it used to feel that they were mainly aimed at late teens and early 20’s. Now they seem to be aimed at early teens.

redmex
    Free Member

I like Bob Dylan but thanks to Starland Vocal Band you cant beat some  “afternoon delight” give it a try

Earlier on radio 2 Bob Marley Lively up yourself was played, Bob was really good

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cash rich baby boomers will pay stupid money to try and relive their youth, simples.

Ever been to Glasto or the myriad of other PopUp Festivals?

Mum, Dad, Dads ex wife, Kids, Extended families Kids & Granny.. take the demographics and pitch your day ticket costs at £100 with weekend discounts at £175…

Annnnd as much merchandise as you could possibly pack into 3 rucksacks..

All in ? £2k fankuvewymuch.

Who has the money? Who? Yeah.. MAWCBs.

So what are you gonna do If you are some sort of business minded entrepreneurs?

Will you target cash strapped Uni Grads in thier formative employment phase ???

Nah, that’s right!

Ya target those with da cash.

Now then..

slowoldman

Well I have to admit that I don’t listen to any modern popular beat combos but I do listen to contemporary classical music as well as stuff several hundred years old. As far as rock and pop goes I am indeed stuck largely in the 70s with a few exceptions. The age of music is irrelevant.

IdleJon

The age of music is irrelevant.

Agreed. But it seems, for some at least, that the age of the artist is far more important than the quality or ability.

ads678

Does modern music suck

Some of it does….

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Ever been to Glasto or the myriad of other PopUp Festivals?

I’m going to a small one (local-ish)and they still want £50 a pop. But, mrsm wants to see The Quo, at least what’s left of it, and in the interest of marital harmony we’re ponying up. The daytime bit is child friendly. Fairground and falafels and whatnot. C’est la vie. However the demographic included very very few of an age to be interested in new music. Like an open air version of Radio 2.

Couple of years back the same do was just under £30 and the headliners were Bad Manners. Thought that was good for the money. Now its nearly double (and yet the same physical size without a significant increase in act quality) – I R unimpressed.

madhouse

There’s still good stuff out there but you have to look for it …..

The music industry has changed along with society – gone is the investment in a band to ensure longevity and a continued revenue stream, in it’s place we now have throwaway pop where the charts are full of one-hit-wonders that burn brightly for an album (maybe two) before disappearing as quickly as they arrived.

It’s comparatively easy to get music released now it’s all digital so we also have the problem of proliferation, there are just so many new releases to sift through that the good bands are likely to get missed. Yes, we do occasionally get an artist that has the appeal and ability to last a bit longer but even they are under threat as that inevitably means a little longer between albums and there’s then the threat of being replaced by a new in-favour artist. The flip side of that is that everyone wants a piece of an artist that appeals and that pressure can lead to an over-saturation and then we just get fed up and listen to something else.

Personally I can’t see today’s artists still touring and selling out stadiums in a decade, there’s a couple that might but nothing like what we currently see of the pre-digital era artists.

Me? I’m listening to old and new music, yes I’ve favourite albums that are 20+ years old but equally there is a lot of new music I am enjoying too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was in Morrisons  yesterday when Teenage Kicks was played over the Tamnoy. For three minutes supermarket shopping seemed less tedious

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We’ve had one hit wonders since pop got going in the 50s.

The digital thing, well, the problem, is:

“Wouldn’t it be great if everyone could just release their own music!?”

“Oh god, everyone is releasing their own music!”

tnrbilly
    Free Member

For every Britpop anthem in the 90’s there were probably 10 forgettable girl/boy bands with an entire back catalogue.

For every Durran Durran there was a Bananarama

For every Bob Dylan there was a Starland Vocal Band

This is totally true. There was always fantastic music in the charts, plus a lot of terrible stuff. Today is is easier to record and publish your own music and a whole raft of places to listen, rather than mainly just Radio 1 like it was in past, so it means that whilst there is a lot of good music being made there is also more c*** being churned out that you have to sift through to find it.

Think this has helped to make music less and less important to kids today, so the main audience becomes older (at 47 I can’t remember the last time I went to a gig or festival and have been anyway close to being the oldest there, even with new bands!) so it will be the older established bands that make the most money.

At some point we can only hope that trends swing round and music becomes the influence it once was, and a new generation start producing their own bands.

fasthaggis

How dare those old people attend festivals,cause everyone knows that all they ever listen to is R2 or Dull Fm.

There should be an age limit on the ticket sales,no over 30s .

😉  🙂

the-muffin-man

For three minutes supermarket shopping seemed less tedious

…that ruddy song – it and London Calling can go in room 101 never to be heard again! 🙂

IdleJon

How dare those old people attend festivals,cause everyone knows that all they ever listen to is R2 or Dull Fm.

There should be an age limit on the ticket sales,no over 30s .

I saw Queens of the Stone Age last year and the crowd was similar to when I went to see Foo Fighters a few years ago – full of under 30s. My internal grumpiness was shouting at them to sod off and find their own music. This is Dad Rock and doesn’t belong to you! (Especially when the bloke next to me thought that Iggy Pop was a bit crap. 😂

votchy
    Free Member

Loads of great new music out there and a lot of it is or has been influenced by the stuff that ‘we’ listened to when we were younger, look at the number of teens that listen to Nirvana, RHCP, Oasis etc and are now forming bands. Great new bands like DMA’s are playing to crowds of all ages, Cardiff has a huge music scene (as probably most major cities do) with loads of young bands playing 3/400 capacity gigs. as said earlier, the proliferation of music and how easily accessible it is now just means there is more competition and less likelihood of becoming a huge touring/recording artist that spans several decades…..all IMHO of course

isto
    Free Member

I think it’s quite easy to find music that sucks no matter the decade, but likewise I also think there is always good music to be found. I find new music very exciting and am always keen to find new genres/bands/albums that I am really into…..I have always found it more rewarding than discovering other new media.

I am never sure why people listen to the same music over and over but are always on the lookout for new films/books etc. So to answer your post….I have no idea why people keep listening to the same shit over and over. People are strange.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s loads of good stuff around. And loads of shite. It was ever thus.

The one thing that’s changed big-style with the advent of streaming is that bands have to tour to make money these days.

Which means for those of us who love seeing live music, there has never been a better time to be a music fan.

I’ve probably gone to more gigs in my forties than in my teens/20s/30s combined. There’s always somebody worth seeing playing live in Bristol – I could go once a week if I had the time and inclination. Do I regret not seeing more live stuff when I was younger? Kinda – but there just wasn’t as much live stuff around

Ando some of the gigs I’ve attended in the last few years have been unashamedly nostalgic. In my 20s, I could never bloody get tickets to see bands on their once-every-five-years-tour and I was perennially skint. I’ll be damned if I’m going to apologise for spending £40 occasionally to see a band I didn’t get to see the first time round.

There are a few apps on my phone where I’ve got a list of my favourite bands saved – they ping me a notification when someone I like is playing nearby. A few clicks and I have a ticket. There’s never been a better time to like music – the sheer amount of it at your fingertips is huge.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I saw Leonard Cohen in 2013 when he was about 80 and he couldn’t hit ANY of his high notes 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

This is totally true. There was always fantastic music in the charts, plus a lot of terrible stuff.

Oh god this, my era was the 90s, which is old enough now to be retro cool. When people talk about the 90s it’s all Blur V Oasis (which was only ever in the minds of the music people, it was entirely possible and indeed probable to like both) Nirvana, Happy Mondays and others, but you almost never heard Nirvana or the Monday’s on the radio during the day, Oasis only got air play during that few month of ‘v Blur’ unless it was after 9pm.

No the 90s during the 90s was a sea of novelty songs and terrible ‘house’ remixes – I read the other day that Robson and Gerome outsold Blur and Oasis combined at the time and it took more than a decade to catch them up.

Nico
    Free Member

or do old people with money just keep listening to the same old shit music.

When ur a yout’ you wake up in the morning and put some music on, listen to it all day, blast it out of ur car etc. and go and see bands or djs or toasters or whateva twice a week minimum. You wouldn’t want to keep seeing the same people week after week year after year, particularly as they all sound the same. As you get older you get to the point where weeks go by without you deliberately listening to music. Once every year or so you arrange to stay up late enough to go to a gig. So you go to see one of the mega names from your youth, or a tribute band equivalent. It’s years since you’ve even listened to one of their records and you’ve long lost interest in hunting down stuff worth hearing. It’s an occasional night out and you want something reliable/predictable. That’s my understanding of it. I don’t do it personally but a few of my contemporaries have been to see these old warhorses recently.

zippykona

Technology as certainly ruined music.

Previously that John Grant song they play on 6 would have been instantly forgettable.

With the aid  Auto Tune I now want to hunt him down and kill him.

Jeez ,if the artist can’t sing just get someone else in who can.

handybar
    Free Member

There are a lot of Ed Sheeran and Adele wannables out there, which tells you something about the state of music. I listened to a Ed Wannable the other week and I thought he was having a stroke. Tedious/sentimental, just really bad. The sooner we can move through this the better.

George Ezra is allright, especially as he used to serve me pints of beer, and I like his new song. Maybe George will find a path out of the Sheeran malaise.Otherwise, the nail in the coffin will be when Van Morrison leaves us, I fear.

bikebouy
    Free Member

To add… I am a new music fan, and an old music fanz.

Age is just a number, good music will always stand out.

I do like the era we are in though, you can stream some random link with a like and find another track and so on..

I use Soundcloud as my main search engine, be it disco/house or thier derivatives.. new or old or remixes.

Some absolutely stunning tracks and artists post on there, thank god they do too. DJs post sets, artists post mixes and podcasts.. just brilliant.

I have a current fascination for Dance, the modern stuff… the 1biza variety. Currently listening to a CAlvin Harris remixes of One Kiss, and Tough Loves Podcasts.

Awesome.

Yet there are artists that I grew up with, eg: Eagles and Motörhead and Earth Wind and Fire and so on, thing is these guys ain’t gonna be around for much longer so it’s good to have lived through thier output and now listen to tomes of old…

Awesome time to live if you are into music I reckonz

DezB
    Free Member

I have answers!

Does modern music suck?

No!

or do old people with money just keep listening to the same old shit music.

Yes! Most of them anyway!

I’m trying not think about how lame all these concerts must be with geriatric old geezers croaking out decades old songs.

I don’t go, so I don’t care! I go n see stuff I do like!

Thing is, it’s music, everyone has different taste. But most people just don’t have any!

I spend my life looking for music that doesn’t sound like anything I’ve heard before, whereas most people just love hearing the old familiar stuff, or stuff that sounds just like it.

donks
    Free Member

Depends what you call modern music tbh.

If we are talking about the current tranche of vocoder ridden “new R&B” sung by god knows who and slickly produced by someone else with samples nicked from mo-town etc (music by numbers jobbie) then in my opinion yes it’s shite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Does modern music suck’ is closed to new replies.