Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Does it happen to all of us eventually?
  • johnx2
    Free Member

well fitting baggies

denial

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s just bike riding and I’m always happy when riding a bike.

tomhoward

Footnote: ‘PKW’ is?

Pro Kit Wa…lly*

*word changed for innocenct eyes.

damascus
    Free Member

I don’t eat cake either and all rides will still be ending at greggs, not a coffee shop

Binners, I fixed this for you

stumpy01

I’m in the same boat – ended up with a road bike about 5 years ago. Living in a part of the country that is inherently crap for mountain biking, it was becoming more of an effort to get out riding.

I use the road bike to get out during the week & it is good at what it does. I just think of it as training and exercise – it’s not that often I come back from a road ride thinking how enjoyable it was; like I generally would do with a mountain bike ride. But, again that is probably a result of living in pretty much the flattest part of the country & not having the greatest scenery (bar the fantastic sunrises/sunsets…).
    There’s also the convenience factor of not having to clean all the mud off the bike & associated clothes/shoes etc.

fasthaggis

Never mind all the lycra nonsense Binners ,what bike have you got?
    🙂

bonzodog
    Free Member

I like a gentle ride in the hills & quiet countryside on my road bike as a de-stress every now & again. Sometimes its just nice to spin the pedals and not spend half an hour washing sh1t off your gear. I don’t use it that much, but I’m glad to have a road bike.

Always wore lycra on mountain bikes, cos the whole gang of us always have, so no issues there for me.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Lycra ain’t the best look, and im unlikely to pop to shops in it. But If you are going on a longish road ride where any kind if speed is involved I’d definitely be wearing it. It’s not that it makes you go faster, it’s that it doesn’t flap around. If I’m going for a Pootle on the gravel bike then obviously this isn’t an issue.

Addressing the no pockets..there are pockets on jersey, and you can use a saddle bag. I have no idea what you’d need to bring on a road ride that required a backpack. That said I have no idea why people on mtbs can’t venture outside for 90 min without carrying one either.

w00dster

It’s weird that as a 47 year old roadie and mtb’er my wife takes the mickey out of me more when I’m in my baggies. She thinks I look like an old man trying to dress young (ala Kevin the teenager)
    Whereas she thinks I look decent in lycra. Then again I’m 67kgs….
    (This place is weird, I remember a thread a year or so ago with similar comments to Trimax’s about roadies having 6kg bikes but all being overweight). Very strange. I have a 6.5kg bike and an aero bike.
    Damascus, what’s this about not cleaning the bike and kit after every ride?? Blasphemous!
    Saxonrider PKW is Pro Kit Banker (obviously replace the B) It’s a roadie thing, if you’ve not been paid to wear it, you’ve not earned the right….most people couldn’t give a flying fig but for some they find it amusing.

IdleJon

He probably rides an aero bike though.

That’s just the roadie equivalent of those of you who went out and bought a 150mm+ trail or endure bike and live nowhere near anything vaguely MTBish. (Yeah, sure, it gets used once a year in the Alps and for those regular trips to Wales that you make every month. Or three times a year, or whatever. Other than that, you traipse around Swinley, Cannock or Sherwood Pines on it.)

😀

binners

Never mind all the lycra nonsense Binners, what bike have you got?

A Trek Madone 3. It’s new to me. A few years old but in great nick. In fact, its absolutely pristine. Road bikes don’t get the same punishment as mountain bikes, do they?

I do worry about the combination of slender, lightweight carbon frame and my pie and beer fuelled bulk

johnx2
    Free Member

my wife takes the mickey out of me more when I’m in my baggies.

Mine gets disconcerted when I* put arm and legwarmers n before bibshorts and shirt. I have now overshared. Not that I’ve been on a roadbike since September.

(*Yours loves it, obv)

nickc

I’ve a road bike, but it’s almost exclusively for indoor rollers. While I quite like the idea of a nice summer ride on it, the same conditions that make a road ride nice are the same conditions that make a mtb ride nice, and at that pont there’s  no competition

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m about as likely to leave the house in a ball gown as lycra roady gear. It’s just not happening, because I’d look equally as ridiculous in both

You’ll look ridiculous in baggies on a road bike. You’ll look ridiculous in baggies on a mountain bike. You’ll look ridiculous whatever you wear on whatever bike. All cyclist look ridiculous and anyone who thinks they don’t is wrong.

Klunk
    Free Member

one the nice things about road riding is it’s generally less faff than mountain bike both before and after a ride.

bails

And all rides will still be ending at the pub, not a coffee shop

The only rides I’ve done that have involved a pub have been road rides. I have to drive to get somewhere decent to ride my MTB. I don’t drink and drive, so there’s no point going to the pub. I appreciate that’s because I live somewhere flat though.

Whereas a nice cold beer at a country pub halfway round a sunny road (/Grrrravel) ride is quite nice.

kerley
    Free Member

Road bikes don’t get the same punishment as mountain bikes, do they?

Mine does as I also ride it off road all year round and the last few months of rain have the bike and me being covered in mud every ride.

binners

All cyclist look ridiculous and anyone who thinks they don’t is wrong.

While this is indeed true, there are degrees of ridiculousness. And there is a point where ridiculous crosses a line into visually offensive. the sight of me in lycra would most definitely fall into that category.

The sight of pretty most anyone in lycra is firmly in that category, but some are more self-aware than others 🙂

fasthaggis

A Trek Madone 3. It’s new to me. A few years old but in great nick. In fact, its absolutely pristine.

Nice one.

You’re lucky Binners, staying in a lovely area with those ‘flexible’ working hours,you can suit yourself when to go for a pootle.
    I think you’ll get hooked. 🙂

paul0
    Free Member

While this is indeed true, there are degrees of ridiculousness. And there is a point where ridiculous crosses a line into visually offensive. the sight of me in lycra would most definitely fall into that category.

The sight of pretty most anyone in lycra is firmly in that category, but some are more self-aware than others 🙂

Who really cares what you look like? As someone said up the thread, it’s about the best clothes for the job. I find Lycra to be more comfortable for longer road rides – less seams to dig-in or chafe, and also the flapping issue. Never really had a hang-up about Lycra, as “back in the day” plenty
    of mountain bikers wore it too

GHill

A Trek Madone 3.

Pronounce it “mad one” if anyone asks.

tthew

Don’t bother with the intermediate step of lycra shorts and shirt Binners, just make the

Baggies ➡ one piece aero skinsuit

in a single hop.

Esme
    Free Member

“I’m about as likely to leave the house in a ball gown. . .”

binners

Who really cares what you look like?

Me. Not to any kind of serious degree. Just to the sartorial level where people don’t point at me and burst into hysterical fits of laughter

Never really had a hang-up about Lycra, as “back in the day” plenty of mountain bikers wore it too

I didn’t. And I’m not about to start now

hols2
    Free Member

Don’t bother with the intermediate step of lycra shorts and shirt Binners, just make the

Baggies ➡ one piece aero skinsuit

in a single hop.

Plus a nice hat to complete the outfit.

BadlyWiredDog

There won’t be any lycra going on, obviously (nobody deserves to see that), but is this a natural side-effect of the ageing process that you just have to accept?

Just go on Zwift where no-one can see your bulging Lycra and everyone’s avatar is a paradigm of muscular perfection. Over 100kg with a pot belly and bingo wings like a wingsuit flyer? No problem, on Zwift you’ll look like Anthony Joshua 🙂

jimmy

It happened to me. It didn’t last. The roads are a scary, spikey place to be. See you back on the trails in a year or so.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Embrace the Lycra. It makes a real difference. I just bought some cold weather bibs and a jacket from Decathlon and it is amazing how comfortable a 60mile ride can be.

sargey

Boris Johnson and Jeremy corbyn have road bikes binners.
    Just saying.

slowoldman

The whole aero thing makes me laugh. You can spend loads on a road bike where they make it all aero, even the wheels and spokes. Forgetting that there is a fat un-aerodynamic middle aged bloke sat ontop of it.

It is possible to lose the fat. What would you wear to play football, or cricket, or golf or…? You get the idea.

breadcrumb

I bought a road bike, used it for the Ride to the Sun, hung it up for 6 months then sold it. And I sold the lycra too.

Still need to sell my roadie helmet too.

lowey

Your dead to me.

rOcKeTdOg

Footnote: ‘PKW’ is?

FKW spelled incorrectly?

belugabob
    Free Member

I do worry about the combination of slender, lightweight carbon frame and my pie and beer fuelled bulk

Nice – just don’t even think about giving those seatstays a gentle squeeze between thumb and forefinger, or you’ll be too scared to ride it

rOcKeTdOg

Trek Madone 3

Oh, you’ll enjoy the geometry on that, nice race geom rather than sportive. Hope you are flexible and have a strong core.

binners

By ‘flexible’, do you mean wobbly?

daern
    Free Member

I rode mountain bikes for nigh-on 30 years before my (then 8 year old) son started to want to do road riding some 3 years ago. He had the first road bike in the garage, but mountain bikes just weren’t cutting the mustard for me riding with him and his friends, so I bought my first shortly after stating that I would never, ever go down the road-cyclist route.

Well, 3 years have now passed and while my son and I still own (and ride) our mountain bikes, 90% of our time in the saddle is now on drop-bars. The bike store itself is testament to this – one MTB hanging up for each of us, but there are far more skinny-tyred bikes hung up on the dark side of the room…

And lycra? Yup, wear it every ride and wouldn’t consider doing otherwise. I even wear the same kit for MTB now, with the addition of a pair of baggy shorts as a nod to my former life, but like so many others have concluded before me, there’s a reason why cyclists wear such bloody awful looking clothing!

The rides are quite different – MTB is now more relaxed with more titting about, where the road rides tend to be a “get on the bike and ride for several hours” sort of rides, but I enjoy both and gain a lot of satisfaction from their very different fitness requirements.

I quite like enjoying debunking the prejudices of both sides of the cycling world too. Mountain bikers can be very fit indeed, but often seem to struggle on the continuous endurance of the road bike (unless they are marathon riders in the first place, of course!). Also, you’d assume that a mountain biker would be a more skilled bike handler, but anyone who’s ever watched a mountain biker trying to hold a wheel during their first group ride will confirm, there’s more to it than you’d expect. And if you’ve ever watched a road rider at a bike park…. 🙂

Get out there and ride and don’t worry about what or where you ride. Enjoy it all!

SaxonRider

@Esme: Nice! You don’t post for months, then have me searching for the mind bleach! 🙂

onewheelgood

I’m 60 and I’ve got a singlespeed, a hardtail, a trail bike, a gravel bike, a Brompton and a road bike. They’re all great, because bikes are great. My favourite is usually the one I’m riding at the time. At one time or another I’ve worn Lycra on all of them, because Lycra is sensible attire for riding a bike. So @binners, I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m 60 and I’ve got a singlespeed, a hardtail, a trail bike, a gravel bike, a Brompton and a road bike.

Your username is a lie. Where is the unicycle?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Does it happen to all of us eventually?’ is closed to new replies.