Does it exist- 13A plugged, PIR “security” light with an always-on option

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Does it exist- 13A plugged, PIR “security” light with an always-on option
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

We thwarted a break-in a while back but along the way, the thief disabled my old outside light behind the garage. So before I just buy another, I wondered, are there any PIR security type lights, that also have an easily switchable always-on?

A lot have an always-on or always-off option but by design it’s not that easy to select, to stop thieves from just turning them off, so that’s not quite what I’m after… If I’m working outside, the PIR going on and off is annoying, I’d like to be able to easily flick a switch and turn it properly on, but, it has to only switch between PIR and on, no off.

Oh yeah and just plug into a standard wall socket because that’s all we have there- there’s an existing cable run through the wall to an inside plug that’s well located.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes
    Subscriber

I think ours can be put permanently on by quickly switching it off and on again – something like less than 3 seconds gap? And you can just fit a 13 amp plug.

fossy

Just look for one like mentioned above – a couple of mine do that, and are wired into a standard plug

sarawak

What about a dawn till dusk sensor? Not PIR but when we had a breaking plod told us they were useless. He said d2d were more effective and are always on when dark.

trail_rat

Dusk to dawn. Your neighbours must love you.

I like the pir ones as it’s not so much about disturbing the thief but the light coming on is a change of state that alerts me to something’s presence in the garden.

Saccades

I have one from Ring, first switch down works as a pir, flick up to turn off. Next down flick and the light stays on until i turn it off. Regular internal light switch . Just an over ride feature, don’t most have that?

Confuses the **** out of the mother-in-law (bit like everything else too tbf)

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

Dont most of them have sensor overide modes?
    Mine do, just i think most get hardwired with no means to turn them off to activate it. They dont come prewired so you can just wire your existing plugged cable into it and follow the instructions (switch off for 5 secs then on or similar) when you want to activate/deactivate manually.

Im currently redoing mine, and given that the 2 gang wiring for the hallway is close to the outdoor light wiring im trying to get my head round having a seperate pir with a flood outside, that then after a 15 sec delay or something puts the hallway lights on inside to simulate someone waking up for a look….

Premier Icon rone
    Subscriber

We have d2d ones at the side and front of the garage. Very low watts.

Why on earth would they bother the neighbour? You can’t see them when in the house.

Onzadog

Pulse over-ride is the term to search for if you want the perma-on option.

Pulse over-ride used to be a standard feature on pir lighting but became less common with LED versions but you can still get it.

If you can wire a plug, any of them can run off a 3 pin socket, the electricity is the same in both that and you’re lighting circuit.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

That looks just the ticket- thanks everyone!

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber

How much are they? I can’t get a price without registering.

coynie09

Not sure as my son got me mine will ask him today …..you should have a local branch
    https://www.cef.co.uk/branches

coynie09

He say he can’t remember of hand but about £15/£20

Premier Icon doomanic
    Subscriber
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.