Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • does double glazing add value to your house??
  • renton
    Free Member

we have double glazing already but its the council fitted stuff from 15 years ago and is frankly quite crap looking!! (im not a snob btw)

we have just had a chap round from anglian windows to quote us on new windows and for 6 average sized windows it comeout at 2600quid which i thought was fairly reasonable, or is it.

now is it worth doing to add value to the house or am i pissing my money into the wind??

we are planning on staying in the house for at least 3 years btw??

what do you think??

cheers

steve

TooTall
    Free Member

Anglian won’t be a good price.

Ask around your neighbours and find a local firm – someone who doesn’t employ salesmen. I got a MUCH lower price that was fixed, not a timed offer, from local fellas – all warrantied with FENSA or whoever does it. The company owner came out to do the quote, his brother in law led the fitting team. Happy.

andym
    Free Member

If you’re only staying for 3 years then it’s almost certainly not worth it.

Spend the money on a keyboard with a shift key.

dave_aber
    Free Member

LOL @ andym

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Depends what its made from – UPVC can devalue a home. good hardwood sealed unit DG might enhance it. If you have poor quality UPVC then some better stuff might add a bit.

If I was buying a house and the house I really wanted had UPVC I would have to budget for replacing the lot – and would be looking to knock that cost off the price. Not everyone would agree with me for sure.

cinnamon_girl

Anglian is a good quality product but our workmen were very poor quality. Had quite a barney with management. Have moved house and the double glazing here is rubbish. If I had the money I would replace it with Anglian.

So … are the windows/doors secure? Are there draughts? Condensation? Noise? Quality of locks?

To be honest that quote sounds reasonable. Hope this helps!

renton
    Free Member

the stuff thats fitted at the moment is ok but a little old looking ! i have a few draughts from some windows but this is down to the sealant shrinking and perishing , im sure this could be replaced .

djglover
    Free Member

you can get new panes and seals fitted quite cheaply by local tradesmen, we paid a few hundred quid to get 3 big windows done in our old flat.

MoreCashThanDash

Avoid the national companies like the plague and find a reputable local supplier for a better price.

FWIW, I don’t know anyone who is happy with service from Anglian – lots of minor niggles, a couple of incorrectly measured frames, and not great at resolving problems.

As to the question, you won’t get your money back directly, but if I was going to buy your house in 3 years time without new window units in, I’d be knocking £3k off your asking price to get it done myself – it’s what we did with our current house

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t necessarily listen to the anti-uPVC snobs.

It depends where you live, I know in my area you’d be viewed with suspicion if your windows were made of wood.

We got quotes from lots of manufacturers and went with these…

http://www.windowsanddoors.co.uk/estimate/

Paid £150 to £300ish per unit – then paid a fitter to put the big bay units in and did the others ourselves. Probably cost us £1,200ish. If the fitter had done it all, it might have been £1,500.

mudshark
    Free Member

uPVC – would have been appalling in my old Victorian house in London though a neighbour had installed it. My current house is 50s built and the previous owners installed what I assume is good quality uPVC windows which look fine. For some reason they chose to put in some with lead strips inside which sounds tacky, and I wouldn’t have done it, but looks OK I suppose.

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

I know in my area you’d be viewed with suspicion if your windows were made of wood.

Wow, your neighbours are harsh..!

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, your neighbours are harsh..!

Tell me about it.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Double glazing won’t add value, but will make the house more saleable.

If your old windows are still functional, there will be little to be gained from switching.

I too have old double glazing. It looks pretty horrible compared to newer windows, but when potential buyers come to look at my house, are they going to notice? Or if they do, is it something they will be that bothered about? There are other aspects of the property that will be more of a focus of attention, such as the bathrooms, the kitchen and the general standard of decor/maintenance.

In my experience, estate agents use the same description for properties that vary wildly in specification and condidtion, so it won’t make any difference getting someone through the door. Improving the kerbside appeal by tarting up your front garden will.

If you do upgrade it will be mainly for your own personal enjoyment.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

UPVC can devalue a home.

That all depends on the house – a modern semi with uPVC is fine, a period cottage would almost demand wood frames.

willard

So what are the signs of uPVC double glazing being fscked then? Noise? Condensation? Drafts? All of the above?

miketually
    Free Member

Anglian, or any of the big chains, are very expensive. Go local, that way the guy who measures up and fits them will be the same guy who comes to do the quote.

If we were getting them done now, I’d probably go non-PVC for environmental reasons (though they can be recycled, so not too bad). Our house is a 1991 semi- so PVC looks fine. On an older house, I’d go for wood.

Olly
    Free Member

we had ours done by everest.
    my pa isnt one to do things by halves (we have every tool you coudl ever want in the workshop, yes, we have a workshop)
    hes gone for the top ones, that let heat in in the winter, keep it out in the summer, inch and a half of triple glazing.
    cost him a small fortune, but he says his energy bills have plummeted, and they SHOULD put thier own price onto the value of the house….
    everest were excellent i believe

molgrips
    Free Member

I fancy some better quality windows – better heat and noise insulation. But then I’m a snob.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘does double glazing add value to your house??’ is closed to new replies.