Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • does anyone ride exclusively rigid?
  • yunki
    Free Member

@tomhoward – I have quite bushy eyebrows if that counts?

Stoner
    Free Member

I havent shaved for two weeks if that counts.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Aye.Hirsuite man face here.

eskay

I couldn’t afford any decent replacement suspension forks so bought some Exotic carbons on my 26″ hardtail and I love it. I need to get some wider tyres as I have 1.95’s on at the moment and it is quite harsh going down rocky descents.

I grew up riding steel rigid mtbs so it is not so alien (plus I ride cx). A loose riding style and a little faith is required going downhill.

edit: no beard

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve been MTBing since 1991.

About five years ago, I rode my brother’s FS Kona Stinky down the skills loop at Hamsterley (once). I had some old Bombers on my Inbred for about three rides three years ago, then it got nicked. I borrowed my brother-in-law’s FS for one easy ride last year.

Every other bike ride I’ve ever done has been on rigid forks. You don’t miss what you’ve never had.

Edit: Yes, I’m bearded. But, the rigid forks came first.

aa
    Free Member

I have 2 days worth of stubble

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Out of interest how many of you, that have gone full retard rigid, have beards?

I’m 3 months in on this one, had another erlier in the year as well, so yes 🙂

sheephills
    Free Member

yes fully rigid – but geared, thinking about a 29+ tyre though..
    i stand up on climbs a lot, and rigid is perfect for that..

rOcKeTdOg

you’ll not get into B.P.R with nancy arms

I’m like a tyrannosaurous, all legs but with withered arms

benji
    Free Member

All fully rigid except the full susser which has only be ridden half a dozen times and now trying to find a buyer for it, it’s not required. No beard here, despite riding SS mtb, SSCX and fixed on the road.

Cheezpleez

I ride rigid most of the time. A Stooge with a Knard up front is about as capable as anything on 90% of the trails round my way. I do like a bit of variety, though, so I’ll be out on the Buzzard tonight. 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Occasional matey has a fully rigid of some description not sure what it is something niche

Apart from the numb arms, pink-and-white blotchy hands and double vision on every descent he thinks it’s great

TiRed

Went the other way 29er Rigid to 26er HT (both SS). My thumbs are now happy not to be rubbed raw after long rides.

Obviously my beard does not confer sufficient hard-core for the rest of my body 😉

hooli

Apart from the numb arms, pink-and-white blotchy hands and double vision on every descent he thinks it’s great

This was pretty much my experience of riding a mates rigid a while back. I can see the appeal for muddy winter stuff when the ground if soft but in normal conditions (and on the sort of trails I ride), it is not for me.

duncancallum

I’ve a Saracens kili team on the straight rigids I use it now and again and prefer the fact it feels more alive.

The reason I don’t ride it all the time is Down to my hip and my paranoia over wearing it out.

Plus it’s always ready to ride no suspension to knob around with

duncancallum

I’ve a Saracens kili team on the straight rigids I use it now and again and prefer the fact it feels more alive.

The reason I don’t ride it all the time is Down to my hip and my paranoia over wearing it out.

Plus it’s always ready to ride no suspension to knob around with

garage-dweller

Love riding rigid. Still have the option of a springy fork and tend to use that for trail centres and for faster summer trails. When that fork has had it then I will probably be rigid only for a while as the cost and maintenance needs of suspension are a bit of a pain with a young family to think about.

Facial hair,,, none

matty456
    Free Member

Yep, rigid Inbred 29er, built it up on a budget to see if i’d get on with the 29er side of things and, yes I love it! Much more responsive and having to find a smoother line makes me enjoy the ride more. Also going ss for winter. Great for local loops, North Downs, Pilgrims Way, etc. (Always sporting a beard!) [url=https://flic.kr/p/oUF3jT]Pilgrims Way[/url] by Matt The Hat 71, on Flickr

andyl
    Free Member

First built my scandal as a rigid as it was cheap build with a steel fork. Loved it but did find it hard going on bad wrists so picked up a Reba. I also have an exotic carbon fork for if the reba needs work or if I fancy some faff-free winter riding. It is different, definitely more lively and makes trails more involving and it’s nice having no height change in the front end if you are a bit nose heavy off a drop.

takisawa2

My Niner.
    Runs rigid most of the time. Have an old Reba I can put on, but prefer it rigid.
    Should be running a Knard on a Dually up front by the weekend, for a bit of give up front.
    Have built FS bikes up twice since having the Niner, but both times I’ve split & sold them, as it’s such a nice ride.
    Dead keen on getting a Stooge, set up with a Knard up front & 1×10 for something different.
    Wouldn’t sell the Niner though.

IMAG3935 by pten2106, on Flickr

firestarter
    Free Member

Yup only 2 bikes both rigid but no beard as i have to shave for work 🙁

Paceman
    Free Member

Trimix – Member

I’ve got a couple of riding mates that do. I suspect its because they too like the simplicity – and they are mechanically challenged.

One of our riding buddies switched to rigid only six months ago for similar reasons, he seems faster too; although that has more to do with his old bike not suiting his riding style I think.

My N+1 bike is a rigid 29+ and I love it to bits. I could feasibly use it as my only bike but it would limit my weekends bike trips away to Wales, Lakes etc.

big_scot_nanny

Does a fatbike count as fully rigid? If so, count me in, its my 95% bike now.

no beard, although I am fat. 😕

rOcKeTdOg

I like the idea of carbon bars to dampen the front end but my hamfisted riding style makes me wary of their durability.

Is 13.5st & 6ft2 too heavy for carbon with rigid fork?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah I don’t think so.

I’m not your weight nor height but when I used to ride my Niner hard I had no problems at all with durability etc. But I have to qualify that by stating all the spangly bits on the bike are Niners RDO.

There are some right old lumps near me and I climb hard often honking up pulling the bars (side to side) ok they flex a little, but they’re supposed to right?
    Downhill and I always wuss out so can’t comment on that.

But at Charlies SS event last year there were some right old chunky blokes having a whale of a time on rigid SS’ers and hacking past me on the downhills without a care in the world.

Can’t see the problem myself, buy some good quality spangly bits and you’ll be fine IMO.

yunki
    Free Member

a carbon bar should be no less durable than an alloy bar should it?

takisawa2

Is 13.5st & 6ft2 too heavy for carbon with rigid fork?

Bars on my Niner up there are non O/S carbon, & hammered all over the place fully rigid. Non O/S & low-rise specifically to induce a bit of flex for riding with a rigid front. Big grips help too, NorthFace North Shore in my case, (slip-on type as they are a bit comfier).

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘does anyone ride exclusively rigid?’ is closed to new replies.