Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Does anyone own/use coasters?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The things that go under your cups of tea?

I was thinking of making up a few batches with pour acrylics and resin for Christmas but not sure if they are much used. I don’t want to make 50 and have then sat on my floor forever. Looking on Etsy there are listed at £26 for 4 which seems steep to me.

Thoughts?

creakingdoor
    Free Member

We use them

P-Jay
    Free Member

We use them.

stumpy01

Yeah, We use them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we use em

Oak tables dont appreciate water marks

We also use place mats in daily life on the table as well for similar reasons .

have never paid 26 quid for 4 though .

scotroutes

Yep, a wide range.

kelvin

Yes. For same reason as trail_rat.

More money to be made with place mats… if you’re thinking of selling things.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay. I might make a batch then.

Ceramic tile, unique art, resin sealed, cork base.

I agree £26 sounds stupid so what price for a set of 4 seems reasonable?

yetidave
    Free Member

we use them. Expensive tables with a cheap something to protect them. £25 for a set, i doubt we have ever paid that much, but then i don’t actually buy them, this is something the mother-in-law buys for us for Christmas…

kelvin

The ones we just bought were £7 for a set of 6, but they’re just made in China jobs… (lovely Morris print though… classy).

kelvin

yetidave makes an important point… your market is female, in the main

the-muffin-man

We have coasters everywhere – I think they breed! 🙂

CheesybeanZ

Yes and place mats.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yes, we use them. Place mats too.

A set is minimum six, more likely eight.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I agree £26 sounds stupid so what price for a set of 4 seems reasonable?

I don’t think you need to be overly worried about price at that level, providing you can show quality and at least some uniqueness.

I just paid £25 for 4 pairs of ‘Nordic Socks’ for my Wife for Xmas, she looked at loads online before deciding on the design. I should have guessed by the 10 day delivery, but they’re from China, come in a box proudly saying “enjoy your sock style” and are 15% wool, the rest being stuff woven in a lab somewhere, but they were the pattern she wanted.

Tracey

As above, coasters and place mats

pondo

Yep, sure do.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I just paid £25 for 4 pairs of ‘Nordic Socks’ for my Wife for Xmas, she looked at loads online before deciding on the design. I should have guessed by the 10 day delivery

Ha snap. Same reason given by wife. Delivery wasn’t 10 days. If you don’t already have them you might just see them before Xmas if you are lucky. Missed her birthday despite ordering nearly 3 weeks before.

longdog
    Free Member

I’m supposed to use them LOL!

johnx2
    Free Member

I’m about to write about coasters. A new low in my life.

We have and even use coasters of various varieties including ceramic somewhere and also spend too much on obviously highly tasteful ceramic items, but zero crossover between these two categories, coasters basically being things that go under cups. I guess there is something about making a table look more classy for a god help us dinner party. You’d need more than four for that.

Place mats for some reason make me think of naff hunting scenes, though we do have some mat type ones which are v occasionally deployed. So in our house, low key coasters ahead of place mats, however it is indeed unlikely that my views would be factored hugely into any decision on their acquisition.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Coaster, or a bit of whatever is lying around, but never straight onto wood.

FB-ATB

Coaster, or a bit of whatever is lying around, but never straight onto wood.

The mother in law goes for the triple whammy- table protector, tablecloth and mats/coasters.

alexpalacefan

I’d go for an extra-large one for my Sports Direct mug.

APF

ChrisL

I use coasters. I have some ace ones that have a picture of a yellow robot on them (the fetching chap on this sweatshirt), and some other ones I made out of surplus waymarkers from Glentress which I am quite pleased with too.

40mpg

I find the cork base can snag on the lace doily. But at least that matches the antimacassars.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The question is, do you respect wood?

One of the best Curb episodes ever.

finbar
    Free Member

I made some coasters out of an old skateboard deck. They look awesome but are a bit thick/unstable to be honest.

NewRetroTom

You can get them free by running the 7 hills of Edinburgh race. If you run it every year you can collect a pretty decent set!

http://www.seven-hills.org.uk/prizes.asp

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oh, never heard of that, Carnethy 5 was awesome last year, need to look into that!

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, cork from Ikea and very cheap (obviously)

singletrackmind

Make some that dont stick to the bottom of the glass
    So the coaster falls off either into your spag bol or into your lap
    Its a classy look either way when your trying to impress the outlaws / latest gf or bf
    The look one a mates face when one uncouth acquaintance moved to coaster to one side so he could put his glass on the wooden table was quality but hey, you cant teach manners or some other thing like that

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Blimey – who knew coasters were such a hot topic on STW. I shall proceed to purchase the materials and post some pictures when completed.

Onzadog
    Free Member

To avoid the coaster sticking to the bottom of the glass, just tilt the glass to one side slightly and push down before lifting.

FB-ATB

Are you inlaying squirrels into the resin?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Decent rigid coasters/placemats that look good, aren’t too heavy and don’t stain or peel would be a winner in my book. Oh and the placemats need to be bigger all round than a denby dinner plate (square is better than round for some reason). My OH supported a fundraiser and came home with some scrap wood ones which are over an inch tall which is also a bad idea (unless our seats are a lot lower than your table/you’re an oompa loompa).

tthew

To avoid the coaster sticking to the bottom of the glass, just tilt the glass to one side slightly and push down before lifting.

If you’re designing from scratch, some shallow grooves in the surface to avoid making a seal between the bottom rim of the cup and the map would be an elegant engineering solution.

fasthaggis

Can I suggest a set of stainless steel (85x85x2mm) plate,laser etched with the words ” Are You Bored Enough To Watch Me Make a Coaster”.

I would buy a set of those bad boys 🙂

mogrim

Got two sitting next to me: a San Miguel one and another from La Chouffe. One for the glass of water, another for the tea.

They were free ones that came from my beer club 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Got this one as a gift. Always wondered why it has the grid pattern on. It’s a good coaster for that reason it seems

Photo doesn’t work. Retro link

https://images.app.goo.gl/XPDLna3b1QJK5Ec59

funkmasterp

Are you inlaying squirrels into the resin?

Beat me to it!

Seriously though, are you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone own/use coasters?’ is closed to new replies.