Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Does anyone on here ride in Southey Woods (West side of Peterborough)?
  • strike
    Free Member

If so, do you know who’s tied various pieces of SRAM plastic barrier tape to various trees?!

Saw it last night, whilst riding there (and before anyone suggests, there’s been no (official) event in there).

dst
    Free Member

We saw it as well when we came through a week or so ago. There were arrows pointing out a route and we assumed that it must have been some event. How do you know there has been nothing ‘official’?

timdavies

I do, but haven’t heard of anything being run up there.

Jamie
    Free Member

The doggers must be getting competitive.

strike
    Free Member

I don’t know 100% that there hasn’t been anything official, but if there has been, I’ve certainly not heard about it and there was no sign of increased trail use (as you’d expect to see after an event).

So those of you who ride there – any other decent riding spots in the area? I always start out from Ferry Meadows, and then head over to Southey via Castor, then back again, via Castor/Alwalton and along the river.

glenh
    Free Member

any other decent riding spots in the area?

😀

strike
    Free Member

Granted it’s not the best mtb-country, but you have to make the best of what you have! I used to drive over to Thetford Forest one evening a week, but just got sick of the drive and the cost of fuel. Plus the advent of the new Red Trail at Wakerley Woods has improved the riding in the area no end.

Jamie
    Free Member

but you have to make the best of what you have!

I did. I bought a road bike 8)

stumpy01

Hmmmmm. It’s a constant dilemma for me – living in this area. I have looked for at least some decent bridleway routes but found very little. There is only very scattered bridleways and no great way to link them together.

Didn’t realise there was much riding at Southey woods though; I might head over for a mooch about.

Most of my riding ‘at home’ tends to be road rides on my Inbred with slick-shod wheels. I keep considering a road bike, but there’s always other priorities.

Strike – are Wakerley woods on the other side of the road from Fineshade? I rode that red a few months back and was quite impressed with it. Keep meaning to pop back.

strike
    Free Member

It is hard to make up a varied off-raod route without putting in a few sections of road, but the more I’ve explored and bolted bits together, the better it’s become, and I can now do a decent (for the area!) 2 hour ride.

There isn’t loads of riding at Southey, just a few sections of trail, but it’s just nice to get off bridleways and in to some woods!

Wakerley woods are on the other side of the road from Fineshade. Have you ridden the family trail at Fineshade? Before you laugh (!!!) it is worth it, as they’ve put ‘skills sections’ on the trail which are quite fun ie berms, big rocks etc. I think the riding over there is only going to grow – the manager in Rutland Cycles (at Fineshade) said another £2500 is about to be spent on further trail work at Wakerley, and there are plans afoot for a North Shore section. The design of the red trail at Wakerley is brilliant, considering what they have managed to pack in, in a relatively small area. Apparently it’s Clixbys who have built the trails there.

TooTall
    Free Member

Get over to the Bedford Purlieus area for an explore – not the most rad, but you can link to some cheeky former quarry trails and see some WWII airfield remains – accommodation etc. Nice riding that seems to stay mostly dryish and somewhere different to ride. Some great wildlife to see.

strike
    Free Member

Too Tall – where abouts do you cut in to Bedford Purlieus? The way I know to go in, is turning left off the A47 (direction Leicester) on to the stone road, and then take one of the routes off in to the woods from there.

Jamie
    Free Member

Get over to the Bedford Purlieus area for an explore

I go running round there, well start over at Wansford and go through the nature reserve.

TooTall
    Free Member

I seem to be having trouble with Mapmyride today – but this should work for you:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/6193976

The Southern end of the loop near Old Sulehay has some fun areas to play on and a couple of lovely bits of singletrack that really flow quite well. Some of it after there feels miles from anywhere – lovely. Coming back up the Western edge of Bedford P you can see the remains of the WWII accommodation and bunkers from RAF Kings Cliffe. Like I said, not tech, but a lovely ride through very quiet areas.

stumpy01

Wakerley woods are on the other side of the road from Fineshade. Have you ridden the family trail at Fineshade? Before you laugh (!!!) it is worth it, as they’ve put ‘skills sections’ on the trail which are quite fun ie berms, big rocks etc. I think the riding over there is only going to grow – the manager in Rutland Cycles (at Fineshade) said another £2500 is about to be spent on further trail work at Wakerley, and there are plans afoot for a North Shore section. The design of the red trail at Wakerley is brilliant, considering what they have managed to pack in, in a relatively small area. Apparently it’s Clixbys who have built the trails there.

We did the red not long after it opened. A mate works for Rutland Cycling and tipped us off it was opening. We did a couple of laps of the family route to get some miles in and then headed over to the red. I was really impressed with what they’ve done with the red.

Never heard of this Bedford Perlieus place before……
    Looks interesting. I’m only 10 miles from Wansford, on a direct path past Southey woods so I can feel a day of exploring coming on!

Jamie
    Free Member

Back when I used to have the MTB I could string together rides upto 40-50m from P’boro up to Wakerly and back. There is stuff there…it’s just not laid on a plate.

glenh
    Free Member

The old sand and gravel pit at the bottom of that picture (in the square corner of sulehay road) used to provide the most fun around there. Not sure what it’s like now though..

stealfwayne

Damn, 10+ years ago this whole area (P’boro) was my play ground, Bmx at Bretton then at Orton. Off road at Ferry meds and the weir, A sets of old pits somehere though you could never call it Mountain biking. you could put together a days riding and get all of 50 meters elevation. (though there was some great bits to be had if you know where to look… Fishermans’ Walk anyone)
    So it was funny when on a ride on my dad’s old Kona at the weir and a bunch rode passed calling themselves proudly.. The Peterborough Mountain Bike club. funny how I was mocking them and wanted to join all in same instant.

strike
    Free Member

Fishermans Walk – do you mean the nice piece of undulating singletrack that follows the river from the bottom of Alwalton to Ferry Meadows?

stealfwayne

That I do, really if’y in the wet on old cheap tyres anyway and a nice Pint awaits at the Cuckoo (not sure of the name of the pub but they had a great fish menu back in the day at Alwalton)

sortmaster
    Free Member

Yeah – noticed the tape as well.

I was following the Torpel Way from Bretton and there were a series of black arrows on a white background that led out towards Helpston, and then a red arrow pointing back towards P’boro with ‘Off Road Cycle Route’ written on it on the farm track between Woodcroft Rd and Helpston.

I’ve seen similar arrows for a horse riding event in the past so I figured they were related to that, but then folowed one in Southey Woods that led to the shimano tape – and the trail there was a bit narrow for horses.

If you followed the arrows on the track from Southey Woods towards Upton then they led you into Castor Hanglands and down a track that I didn’t think was a bridleway – couldn’t really figure out what they were?

colournoise

Wonder if the tape is from the Sky Ride that rode out of Ferry Meadows a few weeks back? Or has it appeared more recently than that?

Not got out to Southey yet. Tend to head over to Fineshades/Wakerley when I’m not still trying to discover more sections to map out my complete ‘inner city’ off-road route through the Peterborough suburbs. Good to hear that Scartree only going to improve still – if what they’ve done so far is any indicator we’re going to end up with a fine little trail centre on our doorstep.

Good as ever to see the P-town riders creeping out of the STW woodwork

slainte 😀 rob

dst
    Free Member

Crikey, I did not realise there was so many posters on this site that rode our glorious mountainous area!

My house is pictured on the routes posted above as I live in Wansford. Normally we stitch something together that includes Bedford Purleus, Sulehay (woods and quarry), Kings Cliffe, Wakerly etc in our weekend rides.

NJA

Coming from the north, Market Deeping, you can link in a few bridleways through Maxey and Helpston through Castor Hanglands and into Southey Woods – then on via the fishermans walk through ferry meadows and the embankment – then you can head down to the whittlesey washes and flag fen and complete the loop via the greenwheel through Eye Green and Newborough. Not hilly but mainly off road and super fast in the dry.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

The sram tape was from a charity ride from the blue bell pub in glinton.

merida3000d
    Free Member

Hi guy i have an anwser to your question there was a charity bike ride that went through the woods part of a 20 mile loop which was setup.
    also good places to bike around peterborough is ferry meadows via woods near castor, police training ground at yarwell, wakley woodsred route plus there is some new bits being added which are hidden jumps and downhill section short but very steep.
    green wheel back end via hampton has some trials off them.
    within two hours drive i would recommend cannock chase,aston hill,chicksands,thetford and sherwood pines

merida3000d
    Free Member

if anyone in the boro area ever whats to meet up for a bike ride you can post on the peterborough mountainbike club facebook page

strike
    Free Member

I rode out to Southey woods on Monday morning, out from Ferry Meadows > super claggy near Castor!

ngeddie
    Free Member

Wow great to hear of Wakerley Woods will give it a try normally just give a spin around rutland for local ride, agree the trek to thetford is a pain for the quality considering you can be in Hope / Edale within 1h 30min now the A1 has no roundabouts V 1h to thetford

Any other hidden gems local to peterborough

colournoise

merida3000d – Member
    also good places to bike around peterborough is ferry meadows via woods near castor, police training ground at yarwell, wakley woodsred route plus there is some new bits being added which are hidden jumps and downhill section short but very steep.
    green wheel back end via hampton has some trials off them.

Woods near Castor – do you mean the ‘hanglands’ just north of the village?

Yarwell – is that the area near Sulehay Lodge? Keep meaning to go and have a nose round there. What’s the access like (ie are you likely to get booted off if riding there)?

slainte ❓ rob

Jamie
    Free Member

Rob, if I ever get another MTB I will show you around.

…for the record, apart from the odd walker, there is no major headaches with access.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Did a big loop today over stamford/wakerley & back peterborough way the sulehay woods are riding nice not to muddy 2/3 trees have come down in the wind but you can get round them fine,been riding there 25 years & have never had any probs.

colournoise

ngeddie – Member
    Any other hidden gems local to peterborough

A fair few sections of reasonable, if easy riding, trail in the south of the city near IKEA, the ‘Gemini’ warehouses and around Crown Lakes park at Farcet, then on via a section of the Green Wheel to Hampton. Also a nice little jump/pump park developing somewhere in this south of the river area if that’s your thing.

One of my pet little projects for my own amusement is a collection/loop of all the off-road stuff within 3 or 4 miles or so of the city centre (kind of an unofficial urban trail centre thing). Will post it all up once it’s all mapped and linked up etc. sometime later this year.

slainte 💡 rob

colournoise

The-milkybar-kid – Member
    Did a big loop today over stamford/wakerley & back peterborough way the sulehay woods are riding nice not to muddy 2/3 trees have come down in the wind but you can get round them fine,been riding there 25 years & have never had any probs.

Sounds good. Maybe this weekend’s ride for me will be a little explore round Sulehay.

slainte 😀 rob

leewo
    Free Member

Hi all.

I am new to the area…just moved up here.

Is there any riding spots recommended around this area? I am mainly into free riding, but will do anything really, even a little xc.

I know about thetford, chicksands and woburn but these are a fair drive away. I am looking for something more local.

I hear there is meant to be a jump spot near Ikea, is this still around? I have also been to the BMX track a few times but this is all I know locally.

Are there any groups of riders that head out locally that are into the same kind of riding, would love to meet some fellow riders from around the area and into the same riding scene?

fenlanddavid
    Free Member

hi ya leewo, I am currently trying to get a peterborough group started on endomondo here is the link if you have it –
    http://www.endomondo.com/teams/vzWimxgVH4w
    On there you can see others routes etc, once more local riders join it, it should be good
    😀

colournoise

leewo – Member
    I hear there is meant to be a jump spot near Ikea, is this still around? I have also been to the BMX track a few times but this is all I know locally.

Check my post here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/happy-new-year-first-ride-of-2012/page/2 – It’s not THAT near IKEA but is in that general area. Don’t want to post the exact location publicly, but if you’re interested email me (in profile) and I’ll send you proper directions.

leewo – Member
    Are there any groups of riders that head out locally that are into the same kind of riding, would love to meet some fellow riders from around the area and into the same riding scene?

I’m not too ‘jumpy’ myself so other than kids I teach I don’t know anyone into the whole trails/FR thing, but I’m sure if you get to that set of trails you’ll find some like-minded individuals. There’s also some of the trail builders at Wakerley Woods (about a 15 minute drive from centre of Peterborough) into a bit bit of light DH etc. judging by the sections they’re building there. Not sure if they’re connected to the official Wakerley Wheelers but if you ride round there on a Sunday you’re quite likely to come across them.

slainte 😉 rob

bwaarp
    Free Member

“Plus the advent of the new Red Trail at Wakerley Woods has improved the riding in the area no end.” HAHAHAHAAH…..I’m from near there….it’s shit…I’m going to have to move to Sheffield or Wales as I seriously can’t handle it anymore. Have to drive everywhere…that’ll be one to tell me missus….”We’re moving up north!”….”Why?”…..”Cuz the mountain bikings shit round here duhhh”.

Lantern-Rouge
    Free Member

Check my post here – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/happy-new-year-first-ride-of-2012/page/2 – It’s not THAT near IKEA but is in that general area. Don’t want to post the exact location publicly, but if you’re interested email me (in profile) and I’ll send you proper directions.

I know where you mean, went past there the other week and was amazed at how much work had been done since I last rode around that area when most of it had been flattened. I’m not brave enough to try those jumps and to be honest made a dogs dinner of the ‘easier’ slopes!

Just a bit disappointed about how much rubbish appears to have been left behind 🙁

colournoise

Lantern Rouge – Member
    Just a bit disappointed about how much rubbish appears to have been left behind

Yeah, spotted that myself when I was there at new year. Also spotted what look like crosser or quad tracks around the place so not sure how much rubbish is bikers and how much is other users.

slainte 🙁 rob

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone on here ride in Southey Woods (West side of Peterborough)?’ is closed to new replies.