Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)
  • Does anyone on here give a rats ass about soft furnishings?
  • Harry_the_Spider

My wife of many years has been trying to engage me about cushions and fabric blinds. No matter how hard she tries and how many samples I am shown I really struggle to get past “that looks nice”. I think that I may end up getting murdered as I’m driving her crackers, yet it just does not compute.

Is this a recognised medical condition?

martinhutch

Show an interest – make some recommendations:

That should remove you from the list of consultees. 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep i struggle to Give a **** beyond – is it comfy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    weeksy

Mine doesn’t bother now.

If it’s not bikes, motorbikes or football, she leaves me to it 🙂

zippykona

Forget about chromosomes the true gender test is … Does it take more than half an hour to chose a lamp shade?
    More importantly we already have one.
    Edit , when I was young free and single my bedroom curtains was whatever duvet cover I wasn’t using. It would get washed then pegged on the washing line I had strung above the windows. Stylish and practical.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just try not to let your eyes glaze over too quickly when any suggestions about cushion colours are made.
    Remember it’s n+1for cushions and bikes too.

iolo
    Free Member

A home has to look nice. It’s where you spend a lot of your time.
    Comfy sofa, looks like shit is not really an option in my house.
    And yes, I bought all furniture, cushins(spelling?) and whatever else needed to make the house look nice.
    I have pride in how my house looks. I don’t want friends coming round saying “oh my god, his house looks awful”.
    If a man has no pride in his home,he probably has no pride in his appearance and probably no pride in himself.

Esme
    Free Member

But Harry, she doesn’t really want your opinion. She just needs you to feel partly responsible for the choice, so you don’t whinge about the extortionate cost.

zippykona

Iolo, for people like me furnishings are non things. I couldn’t tell you what curtains we have in our bedroom. They’re just curtains.

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, the benefits of living alone.
    I’ve said it before and I’llsay it again – not one single solitary CUSHION in my house.
    Pointless and absolutely nothing to do with pride in the appearance of your house you big twerp!

Colin-T

Mrs T shows me two items, “Which do you prefer?”
    I point at item A, “I like that one”.
    Mrs T’s face takes on a disappointed look, I have clearly failed.

Item B is purchased.

6 months later I am blamed for my part in the buying of item B.

slowoldman

Ooh I do like a nice cushion.

Stoner
    Free Member

where’s bunnhyop and her eternally patterned, matched and colourwayed soft furnishings when you need her?

Probably beating-up nbt with a billiard ball in a paisley pelmet…. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

My OH once spent £185 on a pair of lined curtains. WTF? I was less than impressed tbh.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve contributed equally to the design decisions in our house. I suspect men are uninterested because they’ve deferred to their partners. If my wife insisted on pale flowery shit like my mum does then yeah, I’d not give a toss – I can’t choose between two types of flowery shit.

However, we have this fabric for our bedroom curtains:

binners

I’m a designer, and so I’m as OCD, and anal, about matching colours etc as any woman. I’d imagine most other designers are too. And like most designers I regard patterns of any description as tasteless showy-offy frippery. Luckily, so does Mrs Binners

I’d have this bloke killed for crimes against good taste, with his gaudy chintzy nonsense…

And looking at that vile curtain fabric, Molly would be right behind him in the queue for the gallows

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I have pride in how my house looks. I don’t want friends coming round saying “oh my god, his house looks awful”.”

nope – still struggling to give a rats ass…..

anagallis_arvensis

True story last week I get a text at work:
    “The green paint doesnt work in the kitchen”
    I texted back, “how can it not work? You just put it in the try and put the roller in, make sure you stir it first”

zippykona

If my house was dirty it would bother me a whole lot more than non matching furnishings.

molgrips
    Free Member

And looking at that vile curtain fabric, Molly would be right behind him in the queue for the gallows

It “works” though, it really does..:)

Waderider
    Free Member

My involvement with soft furnishing extends to – if a bothy is found with soft furnishings, eradicate them. It only attracts mould and damp, and mice chew them.

At home, the wife may be interested about such things.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I know what I don’t like.

Apart from that game for anything from monkeys swinging in trees, to giraffes galloping plains to William Morris but not LL Bowen. The test for me is ‘do I hate it?’ So yes I give a bit of a monkeys, but I don’t care so much other than I hate polyester/nylon, and I’m digging myself deeper aren’t I?

BigJohn

Just say “Teal”. It’s this year’s on trend colour and will make you sound in touch with your feminine side.

Colin-T 😆

nbt

My wife does this for a living

*whimpers*

Gunz
    Free Member

How many times have our wives shown/feigned an interest in bikes when we go on about them?
    When my wife starts talking soft furnishings I show an interest because to not do so would be bloody insulting to her, it really doesn’t detract from my quality of life to devote a few minutes to it.

chiefgrooveguru

My OH once spent £185 on a pair of lined curtains. WTF? I was less than impressed tbh.

Unless it’s for an absolutely tiny window, I struggle to see what is strange about that. Exactly how much more fabric and stitching is there in a pair of curtains than a pair of trousers?

Add a zero and I’d definitely agree!

boxelder

Ye Gods – have you not learnt yet.
    Suss what she really doesn’t like and express a strong positive opinion on that choice – “You always get your way………nothing in the house is really mine……….like being a visitor in my own home…..have to live with your tastes…etc”
    After a while, give in and let her have what she wants.
    Spend Brownie points at your leisure (and no, that isn’t any form of smutty euphomism)

hatter

Used to not care, now we have kids I do, but only because I want to be damn sure everything is either wipe clean or can be put through the washing machine when it inevitably gets dribbled/pooed/thrown up on.

As for colour, meh, whatever, when we bought the house the deal was the the garage was sacred bike space and the rest of the place was her domain, and I’ve happily stuck to it.

DezB
    Free Member

Gunz – Member
    How many times have our wives shown/feigned an interest in bikes when we go on about them?
    When my wife starts talking soft furnishings I show an interest because to not do so would be bloody insulting to her, it really doesn’t detract from my quality of life to devote a few minutes to it.

Huh? so soft furnishings is your wife’s hobby?
    Wow. Lucky you 😆

Cougar

I don’t think I overly care beyond wanting something I don’t hate. I’d vito a Laura Ashley house, but given a choice between several near-identical shades of pale cream I’d struggle to enthuse.

How much did you spend on your bike(s)?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“If my house was dirty it would bother me a whole lot more than non matching furnishings”

this – for sure.

molgrips
    Free Member

OT: hatter – have you ever used that name on other chat media?

Harry_the_Spider

Never. I counted. Twice.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

just say you’re colourblind and that ikea is a good place to shop on a weekend. That should sort it unless you like parking 5 miles from a store and like that claustrophobic lift feeling.

Feel free to add that gok wan is an idol of yours and you have opinions on womens clothing too 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

My wife and I choose things we like together that makes our home feel nice and homely and look the way we like.

Seriously what is wrong with you guys? Do you not like getting on with your wives? Hardly takes any time to do this sort of thing.

david47
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure my wife has a rule that goes something like “If you can get in the bed or on the sofa without moving a pillow it has not got enough or them…”

binners

Do you not like getting on with your wives?

Absolutely. I believe thats why god invented the phrase ‘yes dear’

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

the tech in the house is all mine 🙂 I giuess theres a mumsnet thread about OH asking for opinions on tech

scruff
    Free Member

Cushions are useful for putting your TV dinner on to get it nearer your mouth and to add vital stability when eating Chilli from a bowl whilst watching Fast n Loud or Wheeler Dealers, that is all.

binners

You can also wipe things on them once the curtains are too stiff to be absorbent

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone on here give a rats ass about soft furnishings?’ is closed to new replies.